R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-02-2007, 01:18 PM   #16
Tech Addict

Wish I saw this kind of interest in the midwest, more specifically, in Missouri. There are 3 great indoor tracks in the state alone and turnouts aren't near enough for C and D mains. Were happy to get 10 trucks, 10 buggies and few 4-wheelers.
Laterilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 01:21 PM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Things in my area are looking up for electric offroad! Our classes went from non existant to D mains in one year. Over the winter numerous people have bought new electric cars and our 4wd classes will double in size. Still baby steps, but hopefully it gets going again. I came back after like 10 years out of the hobby. The brushless and Lipo technology is amazing (and 2.4GHz).

.:Team Orion : JConcepts : B-Fast RC:.
johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 01:47 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TexRacer

Electric Offroad Racing-Slowed due to the following.
TOO MANY CLASSES to race.
1/18th scale came and went in mini's,then 1/18th scale offroad came and went(Still happens in SOME places)
1/10th scale electric,Emaxx's & E savage.
Then Sedan,Then oval.

1/8th scale nitro has caused the drop off.PERIOD.But the hype of this is starting to taper off a bit and alot of guys that like to PLUG AND PLAY are coming back to electric and some guys simply run both.

Please dont get confused.Brushed motor's have come a LONG way as well in the last few years.
I can run MOD OFFROAD(Onroad is totally different motor wise) with a checkpoint or Orion V2 for like 3-4 weekends before touching the motor.
Maybe clean it but a cut or brushes isnt really needed(Unless this is the only thing keeping you in 2nd and not 1st).
In 19 turn you can get 2-3 weekends before cutting.
In stock you can get 2-3 weekends before cutting.
Simply run some practice(If you run more than 6 minutes practice it's nice to have a practice ONLY motor).Heat Kills ANY Motor(Nitro,Brushed,Brushless).
Have your race motor ready.Run it 3 qualifiers,take it out,remove the brushes from the hoods,spray it out,clean the comm and brush face with a comm stick and put it all back in.Oil it and your good till next week when you do the same process for 2-3 weeks.
THIS IS NOT SEDAN where a motor needs to be cut every 2-4 runs.
Most Offroad tracks average 11-15mph depending on the size of the track.Of COURSE they go faster down the straight but thats average speed around the WHOLE track.
The reason SOME electric has died is due to SOME PEOPLE not knowing what the hell they were talking about giving info that was WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!

Runtime is NOT a issue in electric.It's simply the choice of the track to how long they race.
About 70-80% of the NITRO tracks in america run 5 minute qualifiers.Humm if this is true(Which it is) then why is nitro soooo much better if they are running the same amount of time??
MAINS!!!! Thats why... 15-45 minute mains.
Well in electric we can easily run 8-10 minute mains if you have 3800 or higher batteries being NIMH or Lipo.
If people with brushed motors(Me) complain then seperate brushed from brushless and gear the brushed motor's properly so they dont overheat and fade.

Just talking outloud.

Les
Old 03-02-2007, 05:59 PM   #19
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexRacer
Runtime is NOT a issue in electric.It's simply the choice of the track to how long they race.
About 70-80% of the NITRO tracks in america run 5 minute qualifiers.Humm if this is true(Which it is) then why is nitro soooo much better if they are running the same amount of time??
MAINS!!!! Thats why... 15-45 minute mains.
Well in electric we can easily run 8-10 minute mains if you have 3800 or higher batteries being NIMH or Lipo.
If people with brushed motors(Me) complain then seperate brushed from brushless and gear the brushed motor's properly so they dont overheat and fade.
We use 8000 mah li-pos in 1/10th scale stadium trucks in 20 to 30 minute non-stop no pit man required mains that has alot of gas guys that were ex-electric coming to our class because of the runtime and low maintence li-po and brushless systems.

The future is here and the class is growing! We call it the Pro Truck class that can at club races be combined with the gas trucks for good races.
Craps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 01:48 AM   #20
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to MaTt 93

I think when the bj4we came out the numbers in 4wd mod and stock came up heeps.
MaTt 93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 09:21 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

In the midwest electric racing is seasonal. Good turnouts all winter but in summer everyone switches over to running the 1/8 scales which is good it keeps people from getting burned out. The local indoor racing still runs but is definently slowed in the summer months. Most of the weekend or series type races around here are 100-150 entries.
schmelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 09:31 AM   #22
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Around here, 8th scale nitro is dominating the other classes. Average turnout is like 30-40 8th scale buggies, 4-5 electric trucks, 3-4 buggies, and about 10 truggies. For a while, they called us Gasholes, because the 8th scales tear up the track(the little 10th scale cars get bounced around). Doesn't seem to hurt turnout, with 8th buggy mains going to small C on an average night, and big D on a bigger night...

P.S. I WAS talking about racing...
R40Victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 03:37 PM   #23
Tech Apprentice

4wd has been more popular. mainly due to japanese buggies coming out. like yokomo, kyosho, and tamiya. i know lots of people didnt want a 4wd because they didnt have any options other than losi and AE.
PIITB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 04:24 PM   #24
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Nay0k

i've thought of another reason why electric may've died in my area atleast, though this is a much more recent case...

at my local track, the hot tire setup for 2wd buggies for example is pink 7206s and pink taper pins w/ Bomb One inserts. as some of you may know, Losi has consistently been out of the mold used for pink taper pins for months now, probably because they're using the molds to test the 1/8 pink taper pins they plan on releasing...not only that, but Trinity has recently relocated their headquarters, so they're totally out of Bomb Ones. basically, i think people here don't want to race because they've no tires to run on...

...anybody else feeling this at their local tracks where this tire setup is used? i know this tire setup is used quite a bit around the US atleast...
Nay0k is offline   Reply With Quote