R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 06-19-2007, 06:33 PM   #91
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default My X6 build experience

Okay, I got my X-6 kit last Friday and have slowly (when i have time) been assembling.

Unfortunately for me, I ordered a brand new FT B4 kit for this build, and didn't assemble any of the B4 prior to starting this whole build.

So here's my notes :

Firstly, the instructions are quite clear, and have good descriptions in each step. The instructions assume you've already got a BUILT B4. I didn't, so I was hopping between two sets of instructions to build things as I went. I guess this is a fairly long process.

Some of the X6 instructions are wrong, or need revision. The two outter screws for the front kick-plate do not fit (the ones that I'm told I should use, are too long). I'm glad I had some shorter ones in a box hiding under my bench, otherwise, too bad for me. I would probably have shimmed the screws up.

The kit went together really really well. The parts are great. Although I did have to manually drill out the hole in the centre of the rear shock tower (the one that screws into the chassis), as it was blocked off.

The front hub hinge pins are too long and stick out from the arms. I screwed the small stopper screw in enough so that it was just holding them, but not binding them. I'm wondering if I should dremel these hinge pins down?

The Gearbox went together well, but binds very easily. Tightening in an even 'cross' pattern does not help with the binding much. There are two choices here. One is to not tighten the gearbox up (and use some loctite). The other is to just slightly dremel or file down the idler gear spacer to help prevent the binding. (thanks to Peter Suckling for this tip!) I filed about 0.3mm off the spacer and was able to properly tighten the gearbox without binding.

After building the gearbox this way, I found that the three long screws that screw into the motor plate, protuded slightly past the flush surface of the motor plate. With the slipper plate on the shaft, the plate would rub on the end of the screws (more binding). I read that some people shim the slipper plate out from the motor plate. I chose to dremel the three screw's down a tad, so they are more flush with the motor place. All good!

Rear end....
In my opinion, the cvd's just dont sit far enough into the outdrives. At first I stuffed 0.060 of internal limiting in my rear shocks, and didn't oil them, to check. I put the two axle spacers on the inside. The bone still isn't really in the outdrive enough. Last night I put another 0.030 in the shock, for 0.090 total internal limiting. The bone 'just' sits inside the outdrive. I'm sure this is fine, however I'm not really liking the lack of rear droop now. A fellow racer (Gav) says the car handles nice and doesn't unsettle too much in the rough stuff, so having the lesser rear droop isn't an issue for him. I'll give it a go, but in the meantime I think I'll look at the BK2 axle mod, and try get the bones into the outdrive more.

Rear arms. Pretty loose. I'm glad I had a heap of different size metal shims in my pit box to shim up the rear arms. I think it's good that you can shim it forward or back, but it'd be nice if the kit came with the shims you need. Unless it did come with em and I'm blind.

Fitting the servo wasnt too hard, but was fiddly. with all the hacking I did, I hope the front end doesnt fall off sounds brutal, but it's not as bad as It sounds! hehe. I've got the servo horn/link setup just like the B4 manual says. The link is on a pretty mad angle. I hope this will be okay, or perhaps I should take the ball stud out of the horn, and affix it to the front side of the horn instead and try that.

I'm going to run a Novak GTB in this chassis, so I'll probably try and modify the chassis as per in the 'tech' section of 2wdrc.com to fit the GTB.

Things that took me ages:

I like to carefully remove the 'flashing' from all the moulded parts. Both the X6 parts and B4 parts require work here. Certainly not a bad thing, just time consuming.

Gearbox prep/mod'ing... took some time.

Chassis modification for servo mounting

Building the AE shocks. Jesus. I've never owned an AE car, but let me tell you. I HATE THE SHOCKS! I HATE THEM. Building them was easy, bleeding them so I could get the desired bump/rebound was a nightmare! YUCK! If I find some Losi shocks somewhere, I will probably snap them up. Despite the horrible experience oiling the AE shocks, when I finally got them right (an hour just on the front's).. they are silky smooth, and feel really really great bolted onto the X6.

When built the X6 looks mighty cool. I'm well impressed. I just can't wait to get this thing out cutting laps and dialed. Waiting on body shell to be painted (by a mate), and my new GTB esc to arrive.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 06:42 PM   #92
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to Dawn Sanchez

good luck Frank....
Dawn Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:47 PM   #93
TLRacing

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez View Post
good luck Frank....
thanks all!
Frank Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 10:43 PM   #94
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

James,

The BK2 axles are definately the way to go for the X6. The extra droop made a noticeable difference.

The gear box definately takes some patience to build Dremeling the top shaft is the way to go like you did. I lightly snug all the screws down and add a drop of blue loctite. I dont seem to have the same issue with screws coming that far through that it rubs the slipper plate though I also changed to the Losi slipper (which is a straight swap) I like the feel of the Losi slipper much better. I used the slipper spring from an old Hydradrive I had, but I believe most people use the spring from the Losi gas truck slipper.

I run the Losi shocks, definately very easy to build and make operate smoothly.

The steering link from the servo to the bellcranks does have a bit of angle, but it is not a problem. I had to grind a little bit from the nose piece for my servo as well. Never had a problem with strength. Grind out the minimum, and you will be fine.

If you havent already, make sure you go on 2wdrc.com and check out the forum and the tech area for some great tips on set ups and mods.

I keep making changes and the car just keeps getting better and better. You just need to stick with it. I have had it on blue groove high bite tracks and loose blown out bumpy "fluff" tracks, and the car has served me well!

KYOSHO AMERICA.com -Peakmotors.com - kyoshoforum.com - Team SlantEyEs - Hardkore Paint - JBRL Off Road Series - JConcepts.net
nc-hopsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:02 PM   #95
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I have found that if the screws are rubbing on the spur gear, they have been tightened too much. We never file or sand anything in the tranny and never have a problem with binding. We just tighten the screw until it just starts to bind and then back it of a hair. You do have to open up that one tight screw hole with a drill bit so that the screw just drops through. Smooth as silk. Of course, loctite is a must to hold the screw in place. We have never had one come loose.

X-Factory is working on a new 4 gear tranny that will be much better. They are really taking their time to try to get rid of the current issues.

We have been running the B4 rear axles with no droop limiters and no problems and we got one of the first X-6 kits. We are switching to BK2 rear shafts to allow for even more droop.

For shocks, we just switched over to Losi shocks for ease of rebuilding. AE shocks aren't that bad once you get used to them but the Losi are easier.

As far as the arms go, we had to shim our B4 arms when we were running that and we had to shim our X-Factory arms. Everything requires shimming.
SpeedyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:10 PM   #96
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

thanks for the tips guys,

with the topshaft i filed down the spacer that the shaft slides through before inserting into the gearbox, just a fraction.

I also like the losi slippers and spurs, but have none at the mo. so the FT B4 one is on for now. I do however think I have a hydradrive spring from an old XX-T I used to have, I will see if I can find it.

Going to check out the BK2 axles this weekend, borrow a mates, see what it's like, etc.

All our track's here are quite dusty and slippery, so it will be interesting setting up the car, but lots of fun no doubt!!
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:55 PM   #97
Tech Elite

Good luck James! I think that once you start figuring out the car and learn to drive it (it does drive different) you will really start to like it.

I will try to post some pics of my X-6.

Oh, and I am also running 14 grams (1/2 ounce) of weight in the rear. I have mine bolted to the back of the shock tower (to the two holes just above the rear toe in block).

On the front of the car, I run the aluminum front hinge pin block instead of the stock plastic one.

KYOSHO AMERICA.com -Peakmotors.com - kyoshoforum.com - Team SlantEyEs - Hardkore Paint - JBRL Off Road Series - JConcepts.net
Old 06-20-2007, 02:32 PM   #98
TLRacing

I have a set of Losi Shock not in use...
Old 06-20-2007, 02:50 PM   #99
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripthreat View Post
I have a set of Losi Shock not in use...
Let me know what you want Frank. I could use an extra set.

Old 06-20-2007, 03:09 PM   #100
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BillyCaldwell

Im looking at maybe getting an x5 squared after talking to Paul at the nats last weekend. Does anyone have know of any blogs of reviews on putting the current car together? I just want to gather some more resources and info before I make a decision. thanks
Old 06-20-2007, 03:11 PM   #101
TLRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCaldwell View Post
Im looking at maybe getting an x5 squared after talking to Paul at the nats last weekend. Does anyone have know of any blogs of reviews on putting the current car together? I just want to gather some more resources and info before I make a decision. thanks
I am not positive, but pretty sure Jimmy Oople did a review. His reviews are extensive and well done.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:13 PM   #102
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BillyCaldwell

Yeah I think your right, Ill definitely go check that out. Thanks.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:07 PM   #103
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCaldwell View Post
Im looking at maybe getting an x5 squared after talking to Paul at the nats last weekend.
So what is the X5 squared?
SpeedyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:01 PM   #104
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

hey guys, my son is looking at this chassis for an upgrade, but we're wondering how it does on a loose track surface? our track is clay, but remains a little loose with no real blue groove. Any input here would be much apppreicated, Be Blessed,
Kings Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:52 AM   #105
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Paul_Sinclair

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
thanks for the tips guys,

I also like the losi slippers and spurs, but have none at the mo. so the FT B4 one is on for now. I do however think I have a hydradrive spring from an old XX-T I used to have, I will see if I can find it.

Going to check out the BK2 axles this weekend, borrow a mates, see what it's like, etc.

All our track's here are quite dusty and slippery, so it will be interesting setting up the car, but lots of fun no doubt!!
With Brian and Frank's help, I came up with a really good set-up for my X - 6 running at Peagasus hobbies in LA. The track is a looser, loamy surface, and even more so as we were running the track dry. I've posted the set-up on the 2wd forum boards, you can find it in this
thread. That set-up is now pretty much my base set-up when I am going to a looser or slipper-ier surface. I also recomend the BK2 axle mod; adding rear droop seems to always help the X - 6 out. The Losi slipper mod to me is a personal preference kind of thing; for me the Losi slipper seems to have a broader range of adjustment so I like it better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyDad View Post
So what is the X5 squared?
The X - 5 squared is a significant revision to the X Factory 4wd car. Remember that the original X - 5 was designed and produced in 2003. Since then we here at X Factory have received a tremendous amount of comments, suggestions, thoughts, and other input from the X Factory Family, both positive and negative. We felt the X - 5 was still capable of the highest performance, but it was time to make a few revisions to shore up a few weak spots. Thus evolved the X - 5 squared - not a whole new car, but a significant improvment and update. The car uses the same chassis mold, is still based on the XX4 suspension, still uses single belt drive, and from an overview looks quite similar. But the chassis incorporates 15 design changes and is made of a new more durable graphite composite. The body has been revised to make room for today's larger brushless speed controllers. And we're working with the drivetrain slightly, to improve durablility and reduce belt skip.

We plan to put up a major story/announcement this coming week about the X - 5 squared with all the information; we'll certainly post something on R/C Tech about it. Some of the smaller details are still coming together, such as making and printing new instruction manuals, so we're not quite ready to release the car.

I have been slowly accumulating the new parts which make the X - 5 squared for almost a month now, as we produced them, and I competed at the ROAR nationals with a complete X - 5 squared. I can honestly say, the performance is as impressive as it always has been, and my 4-wheeler has never been so easy to run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripthreat View Post
I am not positive, but pretty sure Jimmy Oople did a review. His reviews are extensive and well done.
All that leads to this; Jimmy Oople did a review of the original X - 5 kit, but has not had a chance to see or review the newer version. We'd like to get the new kit in his hands as soon as we can; his reviews are just awesome.
Paul_Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote