R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-23-2007, 06:45 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default First post, my new car! :)

Hey guys, first off great forum you have here!

I just picked up my first RC car. It's used but I think it's in decent shape. Had a few initial questions:

1) Anything I should do right off the bat to take care of the car properly?

2) Any tips for me to keep the car running nice?

3) I believe it's a Team Losi XXX-NT. Not sure if this car is any good, old, etc?

4) Anything that should be upgraded on this car?

Here are some pictures, let me know what you guys think!

J30Guy612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 06:58 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

its a good truck, made by a great company. just make sure to put afterrun oil in the engine after your done running for a while. also, keep the car clean. it keeps bearings from getting nasty.

just my .02 cents!
Johnathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 07:01 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

im no nitro expert, but tuning is vital to longevity of nitro motors. Any change in temp can affect how the car runs. I would suggest getting a temp reader, so you can finely tune A/F mixture when your driving it.
SupahDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 07:04 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

great car. great brand. can't go wrong with a losi.

tips i'd give ya is like SupahDave said, get a temp gun/reader and read some posts about how to tune your motor.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:04 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

Great purchase! That can hold up fine at ANY track. Its not to different from the newest addition to its family the XXX-NT AD2. Only difference is that it doesnt have all the lighter graphite parts, quick change rear tires and lightened chassis. It will keep up with the best of them! Make sure you set the slipper correctly, there are many posts online about slipper adjustments, and in the XXX-NT manual. As far as upgrades, none are needed, just dont use the outermost rear shock tower adjustment holes. Next, learn how to drive without crashing too much and you wont have problems breaking things. I have an AD2 and for the past 3 months the only thing I have broken are ballstuds and a titanium turnbuckle. Those just broke because they were older parts. I tend to replace parts as they are worn, not just as they break. Good luck and have fun!
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 07:09 PM   #6
Tech Elite

I forgot one thing, you might find the ballcups pop off while driving. That can be a good thing or bad thing. If it pops off it usually wont break the ballstud, and avoids damage to other parts. I had a problem because mine were worn. I switched to Losi grey ballcups and now they dont pop off while racing, BUT when hit hard enough because of a mistake I made while driving, the ballcup and or turnbuckle will break off. I just replaced the inside ballcups with the stronger grey ones, now it has a better chance to pop off IF I hit something hard enough, BUT it wont break anything usually. Does that make sense?
Old 02-23-2007, 07:22 PM   #7
Tech Initiate

Thanks for all your support and replies everyone! It's a great feeling when you have a strong forum and community to help with any questions you have about a hobby Few more questions, please bear with me!

1) Do you guys have any suggestions on how you go about cleaning your cars? I was driving around in some grass and a little bit of dirt, and when I got home there are so many little places that you can't get into because things prevent you from getting in there with a paper towel! Any tips?

2) Afterun Oil: Any particular type you guys reccomend? I will pick this up ASAP. Is this something you use everytime you drive the car, or once in a while?

3) Temperature Gun: Any reccomendations where I can pick one of these up at a reasonable price? A link would be great so I can order now!

4) How do these cars react to moisture and water? I mean, do you have to completely avoid ANY water? Like can I drive in the snow/ice or will that totally ruin the car? Will hitting a puddle ruin the car? Just wondering!

5) Sorry for the newb question, but what are ballcups? I know this is probably a stupid question, sorry! I totally understand what you were saying about them popping off being better than breaking something! I got ya!

Sounds like I need to do some reading on:

Tuning
Slipper Adjustment
Anything else come to mind?

Thanks SO much for all of your replies and help guys! Sorry about the length!
Old 02-23-2007, 07:24 PM   #8
Tech Initiate

Also, the right rear wheel looks like it's at a pretty strong angle when compared to the other rear wheel. Should I be worried about this?

Can I reset everything to like a default or something?

I don't have a manual, so that is a real bummer. I bet there is a ton of valuable info in there.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:40 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I would reccomend avoiding water. Any moisture can do damage to your electronics. You can help avoid this by placing your receiver in a normal baloon with the wires coming out through the neck of the baloon. Then simply seal up the neck to help protect from moisture.

Only use after run oil if you plan on leaving the car to sit for a while, say more than a week or two.

Tuning is reasonably easy once you get the hang of it. There's a ton of material on the net about tuning. Plus you can just ask here. I wouldn't recommend tuning to a temp gun. There are too many variables to make it an effective tuning tool. If there is a club near you, go down one day with it and get one of them to help with the first time. Once you know what it should sound like when in tune, it will become easy to tune by ear. I would still use a temp gun, but as a safety device.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:57 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Is that an O.S. engine in it?

I know its not the RTR motor?
GPM BLUE ALUMINUM A-ARM SET U/L
ACNCM ENORMOUS COOLING HEAD
INTEGY SWAY BAR KIT
VANTAGE HX5 TIRES

Micro baja
Micro raminator

ALUMINUM PIVOT BLOCKS
FULLY ADJUSTABLE C/C/S
LOWGEARED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:30 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to annie_himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWGEARED
Is that an O.S. engine in it?

I know its not the RTR motor?
That is the stock motor, its the older version of the XXX-NT. Its a Mach .15.
The truck and radio looks good, how much did you buy it for? How much experience with auto's do you have? Do you know how to start it? Do you have a local hobby shop (LHS)? Or a track?
annie_himself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:38 PM   #12
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the tip about the balloon, I am going to set that up.

This is my first RC car, however I work on real cars all the time.

Yep I started it today, and drove it for about an hour

I am pretty sure I overpaid for the car, but I don't really want to start thinking that way. For the car, radio, gallon of fuel, glow plug starter, and even brand new AA batteries for everything I paid $300. Again, I am pretty sure I overpaid because I went to a local shop, but I just wanted to have everything I needed and a car that was already broken in. I probably could have gotten alot more car for the money if I ordered online.

I have the small hobby shop where I purchased it from, that is about an hour away. I am located in Boston, MA. I have no idea about a track? Any siggestions on how to figure this out?

Thanks so much guys!
Old 02-23-2007, 08:52 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Wink

Here is the grey ball cup part: LOSA6016 Extra Rigid Ball Cups, Gray (16)
Ballstuds are what goes into them. Look at what attaches to the steering with the long turnbuckle. That is a ball cup. The part inside is the ball stud. Yours are black. There are 6 tie rods on your vehicle. 4 in the front, and 2 in the back.

I dont know what servos you have installed, but for the steering, set it on the loose side (when the electronics are on, can you change the angle of the wheels without the servo buzzing to0 much or stripping) This will help in the event of a crash (you will, pros still do!) so that your servo gears do not strip.

To clean, I spray the car down with a 3:1 ratio of denatured alcohol to simple green with a little wd-40 mixed in. Then I use an air compressor to blow it off. Repeat till it looks like new. Dirty parts wear faster generally. So clean it, these toys are not cheap, and a clean car helps you to spot parts that may need attention.

Last: HAVE FUN! Also, please try racing some time ;-)
Old 02-23-2007, 10:05 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Excellent choice, can't go wrong with a Losi XXX-NT.

Cheers
Drift_Buggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 12:10 AM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself
That is the stock motor, its the older version of the XXX-NT. Its a Mach .15.
The truck and radio looks good, how much did you buy it for? How much experience with auto's do you have? Do you know how to start it? Do you have a local hobby shop (LHS)? Or a track?
AAAAAHHHHH! I see the new ones have a black head on them !!!
My bad dude

Hey drift did you here that mine got ran over!!!!
By the mailman
GPM BLUE ALUMINUM A-ARM SET U/L
ACNCM ENORMOUS COOLING HEAD
INTEGY SWAY BAR KIT
VANTAGE HX5 TIRES

Micro baja
Micro raminator

ALUMINUM PIVOT BLOCKS
FULLY ADJUSTABLE C/C/S
LOWGEARED is offline   Reply With Quote