R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-21-2007, 08:28 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default New to Nitro RC - Engine Question

I just recently purchased a Losi 8 pro kit....

I have put the car together and want to run at a local track.... I am not sure what engine I should get ..... The track is all "sportsman" class as the guy said and there is no restriction on engine size.....

My question is ... what size engine will fit in the 8??? Can I put a .28 truggy motor in it as long as it has rear exhaust????

If it was your car and you had a budget of $300 for engine and pipe, what would you get????

Jonathan
jonboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:39 PM   #2

Trader Rating: 148 (99%+)

If it were me, I would just go with a good .21....they are more than enough power to do what you want with the buggy, and they are ALWAYS legal. What I mean is...if you ever decided to race a sanctioned event, such as ROAR, IFMAR, Pro Series, or even some bigger trophy races, then you have to have a .21 sized engine to race.
Most .21's are ballistic anyway, so a bigger engine is just overkill on power (especially for someone new), and it burns more fuel, which costs more in the long run too...

Just my opinion though....Good luck.

Brad

==TEAM NOVELTY==
WYLDTHING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:44 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

thanks....

Do you have any suggestions?????

guy at local hs is pushing sportwerks.... I have been searching the net and don't find a whole lot of info on them...

I see Rb, OFNA/PICA, NovaRossi that seem to be generally well liked..... I was kinda leaning towards RB of Nova, but I just don't know which engine to get....

The local track doesn't have very long straights... it is more tight and technical with medium length straights....
jonboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:01 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to weaponx

I would suggest an RB S5 or S7. And a JP 1 pipe.
weaponx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:01 PM   #5

Trader Rating: 148 (99%+)

Well, everyone has their opinion of which engine is best...kinda like the Ford vs Chevy debate...lol.

My opinion is...since this is your first nitro experience, I would stay away from the more high-end race engines (RB, Novarossi, Top, etc...). They are harder to keep tuned, and can make your first nitro experience more frustrating.
For the track you describe, I would suggest going with the new OS VG .21, or the Hyper .21 8-port engine. The OS is probably the most well-known engine for being easy to tune, they last well, and they make great power too. They also have great product support, and the replacement parts are reasonably priced. The hyper .21 is also a great "budget" engine. You can get one on ebay for about 140 new, and they run well too. I've had two in the past, and was very satisfied, but I think the OS will be easier to tune.
The RB's are what I ran for a year (and loved them), but recently I switched over to the OS V-spec. Again, I would wait for one of these race-bred engines till your second engine.
I have heard good things about the new sportworks .21 V2 engine, but I have never seen one run yet. They are pretty cheap as well..about 150 bucks on ebay.

To sum it up, I would recommend the OS VG .21 and a Jammin JP-1 pipe. The pipe will give you great low-end power on your tight track. If you are going to be racing on bigger tracks too, then I would recommend the JP-3 pipe, as it gives good low-end and good top-end too: kind of a mixture of both...The thing to remember...like always, power doesn't win the race, driving and set-up does.
Hope this helps...

This is my best unbiased opinion...lol.

Brad

==TEAM NOVELTY==
WYLDTHING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:34 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

O.S. Vg .21 with a jammin jp_3 pipe. With $300 dollars you could have $90 dollars left over to buy parts or pay enty fee's. The O.S. is forgiving and easy to tune, The jp-3 is a great all around pipe and you will be able to transfer it to a RB or Novarossi when your ready for it. I have a friend who raced at the Futaba challange at the pro level and was winning before a pitting error caues him to be beat by Taylo James. Quincy was using a plan ole stock O.S. .21vg. The Losi 8's love that motor. Cause the car roll's so good. Im using a Novarossi p-5 and will be switching to a VG. Good Luck on your pick.
Carl.
freefallmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 10:47 PM   #7
Tech Addict

here's another vote for the os .21 vg. although, i'd recommend a jp-2 pipe with that motor. the vg already has the low end grunt you'll need for your track and either the jp-2 or the jp-3 will be an excellent pipe for that motor and your track, and will help wake up the upper end of that motor while still retaining the low end power. os is well known for it's easy tunablilty and ability to hold a tune....coupled with the fact that the vg comes with a 2 needle carb instead of the typical 3 needle carb will make learing how to tune your motor that much easier. like someone else already said, learn first with the vg and then progress to the more elaborate high end, multiple ported motors.

good luck with whatever you chose.
Losi XXX-MF2/CRC SC
B&T R/C - http://b-treman-rc.valp.net/btrchome.htm
dirtracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:07 PM   #8
Tech Regular

i say go with the Novarossi 3 port. great price and enough jam for all beginners. i have this combination in my 8 and it accelerates great with the stock clutch bell. oh i use the jp2 pipe aswell.
IR13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:21 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR13
i say go with the Novarossi 3 port. great price and enough jam for all beginners. i have this combination in my 8 and it accelerates great with the stock clutch bell. oh i use the jp2 pipe aswell.

the nova is a great motor also and would be a good choice for a newbie as well, however, the novarossi r21bf 3 port is about 30 to 40 bucks more than the vg.

here's a link to amain hobbies and the os .21 vg......

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/9018

here's a link to amain hobbies and the novarossi r21bf......

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/9124
Losi XXX-MF2/CRC SC
B&T R/C - http://b-treman-rc.valp.net/btrchome.htm
dirtracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote