R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-20-2007, 08:33 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Offroad Tire Dope? yay-nay??

Just wanted some HO of the subject.
I have seen the Buggy Grip and others used at the track often, but is there a good time to use it, a bad, pros-cons??
Ive heard and seen all sorts of "dope" recipes, but ive always just used simple green to clean em off..
FowLer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 08:44 PM   #2
Tech Addict

If you are running on a clay track, then I would suggest you not use Simple Green on your tires. Plain old H2O is best. I found that the car felt noticeably more planted when I didn't use anything but water.
I like Zip Free when the track is holding moisture and is grippy. If it's drier then I prefer Buggy Grip. If it's real dry and dusty the Buggy Grip may work but I'd go with a different tire and compound so it probably wouldn't be compatible.
mfishel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 04:41 AM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfishel
If you are running on a clay track, then I would suggest you not use Simple Green on your tires. Plain old H2O is best. I found that the car felt noticeably more planted when I didn't use anything but water.
I like Zip Free when the track is holding moisture and is grippy. If it's drier then I prefer Buggy Grip. If it's real dry and dusty the Buggy Grip may work but I'd go with a different tire and compound so it probably wouldn't be compatible.
So there is compatibility issues with different compounds?
Old 02-21-2007, 09:48 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Particularly with the harder ProLine tires. I think they use more synthetics than Losi or Panther.
mfishel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 10:23 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

We have a clay, dusty loose, traction track here and I see a noticeable difference when I use WD-40. Just spin your tire real fast, spray a little bit on, wipe off the excess. It works great too and cheap.
High Desert Raceplace, Grand Jct CO, Sanwa Exzes Plus Stick Radio, Spektrum,Thunderpower 230g, Modified Tri-Nut Novak GTB2, Ballistic 4.5t 550, 5.83lb SCTE Ten, Novak Sentry Brushless Dyno, Crossweight Setup Station, Junsi 20A power supply Icharger 20A Charger,TP610C, 22B, Novak Edge, Novak 13.5, SC10, Havoc Pro SC XDrive, Ballistic 17.5 Matthew Joseph Cordova
mattnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:21 AM   #6
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to tsieler

wd-40 will work on losi tires not proline. and pink tappers work very will on clay... and once the track grooves up and is sweeped off bold pinks and wd will scream...
tsieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 03:30 PM   #7
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the replies...
The track i run is usually a pink taper track, but holeshots have been working the last couple weeks.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:00 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsieler
wd-40 will work on losi tires not proline. and pink tappers work very will on clay... and once the track grooves up and is sweeped off bold pinks and wd will scream...
WD40 works on Losi Pink, Proline R3, and Panther "C". These 3 all have a high natural rubber content. The others from those 3 brands do not. I have used WD40 on Proline R3 and it works well.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 04:09 PM   #9
Tech Regular

fowler - I think the best things at our tracks is either doing nothing at all and brushing tires or death grip/paragon..Simple green used to work well but that was a couple years ago when the track was like..super wet all the time. Buggy Grip some people like, I dont, usually makes my car feel slimey/all over the place. Zip free I rarely ever use, but worth a try some times.

Just try anything that comes to your mind to see what works
Old 02-21-2007, 10:10 PM   #10
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGriffin
fowler - I think the best things at our tracks is either doing nothing at all and brushing tires or death grip/paragon..Simple green used to work well but that was a couple years ago when the track was like..super wet all the time. Buggy Grip some people like, I dont, usually makes my car feel slimey/all over the place. Zip free I rarely ever use, but worth a try some times.

Just try anything that comes to your mind to see what works
Thanks Dan!
Just looking for a little extra traction till i get used to 2wd. Ill see ya Sunday.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:01 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

when i raced dirt oval a lot of guys would put some orange hand cleaner stuff on there tires. i tried it and it was like racing with no traction.

i personal don't care for them. but try them out and see what works.

alex.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:39 AM   #12
Tech Apprentice

I think im gonna try out the death grip, ive seen a few people at the track using it. Thanks for all the help guys