R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-20-2007, 09:06 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Send a message via MSN to Warhead72
Default bandit 2 rustler conversion

I have been cosidering modifing my banidt into a rustler.......I'd like to make this vehicle race ready.........What modifications including motor and esc should I be considering to make this modification worth while
Warhead72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:18 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

are they even the same chassis? if not you'll have trouble fitting the suspension to the bandit. also for what it would cost you, you would be able to buy a new truck. while the rustler will get you buy for off-road, you'd be better served buying at least a used t4 or losi, or even an rtr of either one. from there the raven and the duratrax look pretty decent to. and would cost you a little less for an rtr.
but traxxas.com to see if your conversion could be done.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:23 AM   #3
Tech Initiate

from what I've read the chasis is exactly the same.....the modifications I'm thinking about are possible beefing up the suspension (using revo 3.3 shocks) if possible.....adding a really good engine and esc.....as well as putting together a new body mounting system that will hold the rustler style body
Old 02-20-2007, 09:27 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

well with all that then you would be modifing and building your own parts anyways. but with revo shocks it would get pretty heavy. where you planning to mount the shocks as they are in the revo? other wise they are to short to get any suspension travel out of them. if the chassis are the same the you could definetely mount the rustler front and rear plates to it and then all the suspension from it. i would look at you parts cost and then decide cause i really think you will end spending alot of money. but if you in need of a project then go for it and let us see some pics of what you build.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:32 AM   #5
Tech Initiate

Bobby, this is basically something to take up my time,I don't really care about the cost......But in the end I do want something that will perform well on the track.....I already have a pretty good idea how to go about the project by adding the rustler suspension system to the bandit chasis....What I am clueless on is what motor,esc, and gear set up should I use to make this a very competitive truck.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:58 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

with the weight your going to add at least a 10 turn or a brushless. i run novak stuff so gtx or the gtb which can run run both motor types. i would into anybody offerring upgraded tranny too, to take the beating from the motor you put in.

get some pics of progress its always kool to see home builds.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:26 AM   #7
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

There is an article I think in RC Driver that has information on building a race style rustler, They use some newer style chassis and various other parts.

If you would like, I can look for the article and tell you the issue or parts they used.

Drop me an email.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:46 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

It would be cheaper to just buy a Rustler than to convert it.
I was looking at converting my Evader ST to BX and it was much cheaper to just buy the BX

Cheers
Drift_Buggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 03:11 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

If you invest in to a race quality kit then you will be able to spend time assembling it and learning how to tune it. As far as a motor/esc is concerned I would think a bl system would be the best way to go. A very fast brushed motor will wear out in a hurry if you don't cut the comm and replace the brushes when you need to.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote