need electric motor break-in help.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

need electric motor break-in help.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 03:42 PM
Tech Elite

Default need electric motor break-in help.

i just bought a speed jems extreem pyrite 10 turn motor. i was wondering how i should break it in without using a machine. all i have is a 6 cell battery and was wondering if it would be safe to just run a little bit of throttle instead of full for break in? any other options?
Old 02-16-2007, 03:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i personally don't run in my new motors. but you could hold the motor tabs up to two of the cells on your battery, pos. to pos and neg. to neg. and let it run for about a minute or so. that way it wont be full power. your charger doesn't have a run in mode im guessing?
Old 02-16-2007, 04:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default eL cheapo

Here is what I used to do, before I had a run in tool.

Place the motor in the vehicle, remove the pinion, and push forward the trim on my radio. In my case with a Volt meter I was getting 1.7 volts. I would let it run for a few minutes, clean, and gear it up and go.

Some times I don't run in with fresh serrated brushes. But with old brushes I always do. I also think even with the serrations you get more power when you run in and clean you motor.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:07 PM
Tech Elite

well i have two problems with that bobby. one, my charger isnt the best out, so no it doesnt have a run in system. and two, i use standard packs and dont build, so the only way i could get to 2 cells would be to rip the covering off. it says to run the motor on 3 volts or less for one minute, clean, then if needed, do it again. i dont have a rbeak-in tool. i could do trim though. i dont have a volts meter though. could i just do barely any throttle for a minute and see if the brushes have run in yet?
Old 02-17-2007, 01:16 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i understand that completely. but i think the other post said( which is right) you can turn your trim up and let it idle basically for 1 to 2 minutes then check for the things you want to check for. i have been a hardcore racer for 6 years now and did it both ways, break-in and no break-in and have got the same exact life out of a motor and brushes and still been one of the very fastest motors inb any class down the straight. so of what happens is their is still alot of info on the internet or passed down by word of mouth as to what to do. in regards to an electric motor, well they are not built like they were in the 80's early 90's or even today and I don't think it is necessary to break in an electric motor.

no biggy that your charger or batteries can't do as i said in my post but doing the trim thing or barely pull the trigger to run it in is perfectly ok.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:15 AM
Tech Elite

okay cool. thanks.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Lets make this easy.
Install the motor into your car leaving off the pinion.
Run the motor for 2-3 minutes at about 1/16th of throttle.
Take the motor out,let it cool,oil it and then reinstall it now with a pinion and go have

FUN
Old 02-17-2007, 01:15 PM
Tech Elite

yep drove it earlier today. thanks yall. works great.