Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
1/10 scale Electric Truggies, any interest? >

1/10 scale Electric Truggies, any interest?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/10 scale Electric Truggies, any interest?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 11:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Oh! I didn't know that! I guess, now thinking of the difference between 2WD electric buggies and their 2WD truck counterparts, the ride height is higher too, correct? Which would mean longer shocks/springs and different shock towers too. Right?
Old 02-15-2007, 11:44 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

hey Mr. Maim, hope racing is going well for you.

In a way you will have what is similar to the first gen truggy conversions where you either went with an offset wheel and/or extended axles to get a truck effect, similar to what the GS SUT did when it came out.

Handling wise this is not the best way to go, but would get the truck effect. Losi for a while just offered a truck body that could mount on the XX-4, I had one and it was fun.

The ultimate thing to do is what Dave G has done on his Concept vehicle and what the XXX-4 Truggy guy is doing, have it have stadium truck dimensions but be 4wd like a buggy.

The nice thing too is you can configure the vehicle into an RTR for sale if you want as a stadium truck or MT depending just on shock configuration , body, and wheels and tires just like Hot Bodies seems to do with there chassis.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:09 PM
Tech Master

You're right. I did a little searching and it seems that there are any number of companies out there that make conversion kits for buggies into truggies. A really interesting one converted an Associated TC3 into a 4WD buggy! TC into a Buggy. Interesting.

Currenty I race 10th scale , and looking at a buggy or truggy (10th scale electric) I'm always amazed at how simple they are in comparison to a TC. When I first saw this thread I thought "how hard can it be?" but now that I think about it (and you've pointed out several other points) it's not as simple as adding bigger tires, is it?
Old 02-15-2007, 01:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr.Maim
N00b question here: couldn't you just slap a set of bigger tires and a truk body onto say, a JConcepts BJ4 and have yourself a 4-wheel drive truggy? I'm sure that you'd need to change the pinion to adjust for the larger tires, but outside of that, what is the major difference between a truggy and a buggy?

Is is vehicle width?
I wish. Some trucks have longer chassis, but then you got long suspension arms which means longer cvd's, bigger shocks and different shock towers etc.

Cheers
Old 02-15-2007, 02:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr.Maim
You're right. I did a little searching and it seems that there are any number of companies out there that make conversion kits for buggies into truggies. A really interesting one converted an Associated TC3 into a 4WD buggy! TC into a Buggy. Interesting.

Currenty I race 10th scale , and looking at a buggy or truggy (10th scale electric) I'm always amazed at how simple they are in comparison to a TC. When I first saw this thread I thought "how hard can it be?" but now that I think about it (and you've pointed out several other points) it's not as simple as adding bigger tires, is it?
careful what you wish for, my first 4wh was the losi xxx-4 a converted t/c. oh man what i mess. it took alot of work to get it handle and turn. i still enjoyed it, but once i got the bj4 and now the bj4we, it is something to have a car purpose built for off road. hope to see you at the cactus classic in a few weeks. are you entered in it? i will be there starting monday building the new track for the race.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:23 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by AzBobby
careful what you wish for, my first 4wh was the losi xxx-4 a converted t/c. oh man what i mess. it took alot of work to get it handle and turn. i still enjoyed it, but once i got the bj4 and now the bj4we, it is something to have a car purpose built for off road. hope to see you at the cactus classic in a few weeks. are you entered in it? i will be there starting monday building the new track for the race.
Yeah, it seems like and interesting concept (converting a TC into a buggy) but then I could only imagine what kind of a headache it would be in the long run. There's just something to be said for getting something that is designed for a specific purpose, in the first place. I'm not knocking the modding crowd, maybe I'm just getting lazy... As for the Cactus Classic: I've never driven offroad and at this point don't even own an offroad vehicle. I've been lurking these threads getting ideas on what to get. Payday is Friday! But for right now, it's just TC for me.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

I have seen the great advantages to haveing a 4wd truggy. I am makeing one based off a tc3 http://rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=146640 It has a wheelbas of 11" and is 13 1/2" wide. I am not done yet. But I will have her running soon. If people are interested. I may be able to make them for people. I will raceing it in a 1/10th class at the track with 2wd nitros and mod electrics. The track is really dusty and soft dirt I was haveing a hard time getting traction with a 2wd so hell why not have an advantage and go 4wd. Eventually I am wanting to put a Mamba max and lipos in it. I am very interested in a 4wd truggy. It gives you the best of all worlds. The 4wd of a buggy and the ground clearance of a truck. Plus its just about the easiest truck to drive.Peace Ethan
Old 02-16-2007, 09:04 AM
Tech Legend

If you have anyone else at your track interested, maybe see if they would like to try a conversion with the SB V2 Pro as the base. As it looks like if you formulate a longer lower and upper deck, plus a driveshaft, and of course the truck parts, you could have a very easy conversion to do.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:52 PM
Tech Regular

i bet this class would be sick. im in make them and people will by them.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:25 PM
Tech Regular

we can't get guys now to buy true off road 4wh. how we gonna anyone to buy truggy 1/10? hopefully with the new tamiya,mrc,yokomo,re-release of the xx-4,xxx-4 and the ver dominate BJ4 and BJ4we the class will pick up.if that was to come true could a 1/10 truggy class happen maybe. for tracks that run both 1/8 and 1/10 it would be tough getting a t/c type 4wh around those holes but the true designed off road 4wh, do just fine.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:51 PM
Tech Legend

I think it comes down alot to also that in the US at least, trucks seem to be more popular than buggies in general. Just something about trucks. So if you offer a truck, maybe those who would like 4wd, but just aren't into buggies would go that route? Worth a shot.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It's a good idea, but the only problem I see would be the price as most 4wd buggies are a little over priced IMO (there good, but over priced). I know the MRC is on the cheaper side of the money issue, but can get up there in price with good electronics. Kyosho is doing a good thing with the ZX-5 by making a RTR version of it which will help the class grow a little more as it will keep the price down, and they (people who buy the ZX-5 RTR) can be up and running after they charge a battery pack

Also it may not take off as there are way too many classes out there already.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:56 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Craps
I think you are missing the point of the thread is a 4wd 1/10th scale truck!

Why use an AD2 converted when an MF2 or T-4 will work just fine for 20+ minutes with whole lot less work. Just install 8000 mah li-po and a Novak GTB with 5.5 motor and off you go faster than an AD2 anyday in 20 minutes with no pit stops!!!!
The reason you would convert a gas truck it is a little bit bigger alot more rugged plus by putting all the horsepower in a MF2 or T4 is not a bad idea but with the brushless and the lipos all you will have is a back flippin wheelie monster alot harder to steer the gas truck has more mass to it and the motor is midship
Old 02-16-2007, 09:36 PM
Tech Elite

seems interesting. simply looks like a buggy on steroids. not a big class though. probly owuldnt boom very fast if at all
Old 02-16-2007, 10:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Why cause it aint 1/8th scale!!!!!! I mean bigger is better so the world describes it but it took a 1/10 to get to the top !!! Although 1/10 4x4 seems a little easier to handle !!!! I'll stick to the basic learning to take me to the top of the ladder..... I prefer 2 wheel drive ATVs over 4 WHEEL cause they appeal to me more!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.