Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
1/10 scale Electric Truggies, any interest? >

1/10 scale Electric Truggies, any interest?

1/10 scale Electric Truggies, any interest?

Old 02-15-2007, 01:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oldguyzrule
That is 3 - 4 years old

Cheers
Old 02-15-2007, 03:09 AM
Tech Elite

Perhaps the market is turning a little and a 4wd 1/10th electric truck could be successful again? 5 years ago to get a fast car you would be cooking motors and draining cells with the weight of the wheels and the drag in the drivetrain.

Now with brushless getting better with every new release, these kind of issues could be solved...

Anyone fancy combining a Kyosho TR15 Stadium Truck body and wheels with a Lazer ZX-5 chassis?
Old 02-15-2007, 05:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Drift_Buggy
I think there would probably have to be bigger electric motors (instead of 540, have 750 or something like that) before there will be 1/8 electric

Cheers
Go look at Fine Design RC, they have lots of 1/8 conversions. And they are just as fast as their nitro brothers without the mantinence of nitro and the ease of a BL motor with Li-Po.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

Awesome. This would be the best class ever invented. Now is the time. With Brushless/lipo there is no problem powering one. 1/8th buggy killer on the track. Nitro guys would hate it. Sign me up!
Old 02-15-2007, 07:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Again Guys, this was just something I wanted to throw out there, we may never do anything with it. At least you know that the v2, and v2 pro can be converted over to truggies.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:47 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Thumbs up

1/10th 4x4 truggies is a great idea. They are easyer to drive than any other r/c cars. That would bring a lots of kids back on the track.

+1 on the concept,

Mannekenpis.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:01 AM
Tech Addict

I have a V1 and V2 4wd buggy, I like the V2 because there are 6 or 8 spurs with it for such a setup. I would like to see a dedicated truggy with proper gearing and possibly stronger parts.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:37 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)

DaveG: fully understand but at least we know its possible and it looks pretty good too!

I beleive you can do the conversion on the V1 too, but will probably have more gearing options on the V2 since it uses a bigger spur.

I agree that I would like to see something become of this, I think it would be quite fun and more usuable for me at least than a 2wd truck. You could aways monster the truggy up with some nice MOABs and go roughing it or just slam it down for racing, and you get the benefits of 4wd.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:00 AM
Tech Elite

This would be a cool class but I can't see it ever happening unless a local group does something with it like the 20min lipo/bl thing that Craps and the boys do.

It would have to have something different like that to offer.

I raced with a guy back int eh late 80's who had a 4wd truck like this. His was an old Yokomo coverted with truck body/tires. It was pretty cool... that thing did crazy high speed donuts.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
DaveG: fully understand but at least we know its possible and it looks pretty good too!

I agree that I would like to see something become of this, I think it would be quite fun and more usuable for me at least than a 2wd truck. You could aways monster the truggy up with some nice MOABs and go roughing it or just slam it down for racing, and you get the benefits of 4wd.
I would agree with Cain. If there was more competion between the companies with electric 4wd would take off.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:03 AM
Tech Master

I like that. I cant what intell they finish the producet. That is a cool idea to use the xx-4 and convert it to a truggy.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:05 AM
Tech Rookie

Just my two cents.
I know you guys are talking about a 4wheel truck but you can achieve a really good two wheel 20minute truck simple rig up a method for attaching a brushless motor to a Losi AD2 remove the gas tank stuff the inside of where the gas tank with foam and some forward weight and stick a 2-3 cell lipo, you can also take the braking linkage out cuz know the motor can do the braking basically you have an X-6 mid motor truck just mount your speedo on the plastic where the muffler would go. I have not tried it but i know it will work the geomtry is already there making a pinion gear out of the clutch bell would be a small bit of garage engineering but its all workable.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:24 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Phantoman555
Just my two cents.
I know you guys are talking about a 4wheel truck but you can achieve a really good two wheel 20minute truck simple rig up a method for attaching a brushless motor to a Losi AD2 remove the gas tank stuff the inside of where the gas tank with foam and some forward weight and stick a 2-3 cell lipo, you can also take the braking linkage out cuz know the motor can do the braking basically you have an X-6 mid motor truck just mount your speedo on the plastic where the muffler would go. I have not tried it but i know it will work the geomtry is already there making a pinion gear out of the clutch bell would be a small bit of garage engineering but its all workable.
I think you are missing the point of the thread is a 4wd 1/10th scale truck!

Why use an AD2 converted when an MF2 or T-4 will work just fine for 20+ minutes with whole lot less work. Just install 8000 mah li-po and a Novak GTB with 5.5 motor and off you go faster than an AD2 anyday in 20 minutes with no pit stops!!!!
Old 02-15-2007, 11:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

N00b question here: couldn't you just slap a set of bigger tires and a truk body onto say, a JConcepts BJ4 and have yourself a 4-wheel drive truggy? I'm sure that you'd need to change the pinion to adjust for the larger tires, but outside of that, what is the major difference between a truggy and a buggy?

Is is vehicle width?
Old 02-15-2007, 12:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

The length of this truck is almost a full inch longer then stock and the arms are quite a bit wider too. If you were to compare a truck and buggy side by side there is quite a difference.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service