R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-09-2007, 12:58 PM   #91
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

those that say there is less to maintain in electric must have already switched to brushless. every other run you with a brushed motor (at least) take the motor out clean it, check the brushes and may even take the motor apart to turn the com (i am slow at that lol). after or before each race weekend i always would go through and check the oil in my shocks and clean all the bearings and re-lube the diff. all of my electrics run basically the same steering servo as i would in 1/8 scale. 10th scale electric also breaks more often.

nitro after about 1/2 gallon to a gallon of fuel used i take my engine out clean it and check the clutch. when i buy clutch bearings i buy them 10 at a time for a buck a shot. sure you always buy fuel but how many runs do you get on your super duper race special packs before you reduce them to practice packs? out doors with electric how often do you have to buy tires? it all adds up either way you go and some costs are totally controled by the surface you run on (loomy or clay). bottom line is either one is demanding or requires as much work and money as you let it be it for fun or to be competitive. some guys will go through a gallon a weekend others a gallon lasts a month some guys get new batteries every other weekend some do it 1 time a year....best thing to do is look at what fits into your budget (car kit radio ect ect) then hammer out what you like to do and not do. some guys like "noise" some like quiet some like a real brake some like turning dials. then you get guys like me who cant do either with both but its ALWAYS fun to try
22 SCT 2.0 Exotek Hobbywing 3.1 Stock Spec Fantom
Tekno 410SCT Hobbywing ProSC
mugenlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:09 PM   #92
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

When I layed out the costs of running I simply layed out what would actualy make a differance in each class. Do you not believe that the differance in the price of tires between 8th scale and 10th scale would make up for the differance in broken parts. I simply laid down the foundation of a competition setup. What you spend from there is up to you.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:43 PM   #93
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

One is not better than the other. Some prefer nitro, others electric and some do both.

But there is no question that nitro is more popular. I think the popularity of nitro is because it offers a clearly superior value in RTR form. For $500-700 you can get a RTR vehicle that will perform nearly as good as a $1000 kit. You can bash it or race it right out of the box. And there's clearly a class for which your vehicle was designed to be raced in.

The electric RTRs usually have motors and escs that don't bash or race very well. And the classes for stock, 19t, and for brushless and lipo are so fragemented that its comprimized the racing. It's usually down to 2-3 extremely fast guys with 2-3 lappers to fill out the field instead of everyone going head to head.

Worse yet, the vehicles are so different that its not much fun to race 1/10 vehicles on a track where 1/8 race and vice versa. It's so bad that I'm not sure 1/10 electric can survive.

The only hope for electric is 1/8 conversions. It makes me wonder if there is a market for a $800 RTR electric 40+ mph 1/8 truggy with a brushless motor and lipos complete with a charger?
Ed237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:00 PM   #94
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed237
Worse yet, the vehicles are so different that its not much fun to race 1/10 vehicles on a track where 1/8 race and vice versa. It's so bad that I'm not sure 1/10 electric can survive.
1/10 electric can survive, but it desperately needs help from the people who made it popular in the first place. These are the same guys who are now holding up the new technology from being used at the club, regional, and national levels. I'm so tired of it that I'm seriously thinking about no longer supporting my local electric off-road track and just race against nitros with my BL + Lipo truck. Maybe they'll get the hint if more people do the same thing.

It really is a shame to know that electric off-road might become extinct when there's technology already out there that can save it.
Leodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:20 PM   #95
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The only way for 1/10 to survive is to have electric only days.

Look at the race day for the average electric racer at the average club where nitro and electric are run together. They are constantly getting recruited to do pit stops and drops and eventually have to go out and marshall some nitro race for 15-30 minutes. Most of the time, its an electric racer being a pit-b!7ch running back and forth with flamed out vehicles or catching run aways.

In return they get two or three 5 minute qualifiers and one 6 minute main. What could be done in 2-4 hours now takes 6-8. And when they do race the track is usually blown out, rutted, and the jumps don't work right anymore so that they are just trying to survive out there.
Ed237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:14 PM   #96
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

I agree about the track conditions when electric and nitros run. Its tough especially on the 1/10 scale buggies for the 1/8 scale oriented tracks.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:44 PM   #97
Tech Elite

You guys need to quit complaining. My favorite race dars are the ones in which I am running a 1/10th scale on a blown out track. It is a race. Just because you brought the wrong setup doesn't mean you need to throw a snit fit. If you are afraid that your gear is inferior to some one elses then go and run some one elses gear. Personaly I am a big fan of lipo brushless 1/10th scale trucks that can run for 30 minutes non stop and make a 10 second pit stop if needed to replace the battery. I am also a fan of 1/8th scale buggies that can go 65 mph and have 3 horse power motors that will blister any race bread .21 motors and run for 45 minutes on a single charge. If you are going to complain about running with these cars get then go and a sewing kit to fix your leaky vag. If you are curious about 1/8th scale rtr electrics then you need to first go build a real kit and learn how an r/c car works. Quite honestly I do not believe that some one would complain when a bshows eginner up to the track with a rtr rustler because it has a .15 size engine. Now, when some one shows up with a 1/10th scale scale truck that runs lipo/brushless instead of nimh/brushed and wants to run in your class you cry because it lays down the wood? Here are the reasons nitro has taken off.
1-It can be run for long persiods of time
2-It is low on maintanance.
3-An rtr kit is considered competition ready because it can finish a 20 minute main.
Here is why lipo brushless is better.
Less maintanance.
More speed.
More run time.
less money.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:03 PM   #98
Tech Apprentice

Everyone likes what they like. Some people don't like charging batteries. I don't like having to start/warm-up/tune/refuel an engine to run an RC car. Some people like the sound of the engines. I like running long mains without needing a pitman (BL/LIPO ) or having to be one. I got duped into pitting for someone Saturday with a Revo so it doesn't always work.

Die hard nitro or electric guys are never going to like the other side. Some people truely like both equally but I don't see how. They are so different.
scoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:43 AM   #99
Tech Elite

Personaly I do like both. However, I sit here and talk w/ guys @ a track that used to feature 50+ electric drives and now features 50+ nitro drivers and virtualy no electric. The number one reason for the change is less maintanance. They went from batteries and brushes because no more cutting coms and ect. They went from 1/10th scale to 1/8th scale because theres no more fixing melted diffs. However, if you properly maintain an electric diff and you run lipo/brushless then you can expect all the advantages of nitro + the advantages of electric. Simply put, it is just straight up simpler for the beginner. The hobby shows you that this is a beginner oriented hobby because you see drivers all the time coming in and running the easiest to drive classes because they look neat.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:23 PM   #100
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to W.E.D.Jim

I love hearing the maintenance argument, since the maintenace on a gas car/truck is phenominally more intense!

Any serious racer will tell you, new clutch bearings before every main, at least if you make the A main.

Then how many times have you found out your glow ignitor is dirty or the battery went dead. Time for a new one, or maybe you have been disharging and cycling the battery to make it last, or have a spare?

Same for the starter box, race for any length of time, the starter box ends up with bad connections, or weak batteries that die too fast, etc.

Reciever batteries, everyone owns at least one back up reciever battery, no? Well, it needs maintenance, especially around the wire leads right near the battery where they frey and can cause a poor connection, costing you the race.

Shocks, after 30 minute mains, 2 hours of track time, including practice...redo the shocks for EVERY decent size event, most do it for EVERY weekend!

Diffs, center, front and rear, new oil almost every race weekend, if your serious about performance, the gear oil breaks down rapidly, especially on sandy tracks where the diff works harder!

On my 1/8th scale cars, parts wear out, as well as break, I have broken wing mounts, front arms, clutch bells, stripped spurs, broken shock shafts. I have done it with every brand, Mugen, Kyosho, Jammin, etc.

We won't get to deep into the fact that to prepare for a gas day at our last race, I had to charge my and my sons gas equipment to prepare for the days races. Two gas vehicles, that's two reciever batteries, 4 starter box batteries, two glow ignitors(main and a back up) and two transmitter packs......10, count em' not a typo 10 BATTERIES for gas racing!!!

Looks like electric isn't dead after all, it just switched to gas!

It seems like some racers want to like gas better, so they forget all these items during the course of a season or two?

I don't!

LMAO,
Jim
"Nothing but the best!"
W.E.D.Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 07:15 PM   #101
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.D.Jim
We won't get to deep into the fact that to prepare for a gas day at our last race, I had to charge my and my sons gas equipment to prepare for the days races. Two gas vehicles, that's two reciever batteries, 4 starter box batteries, two glow ignitors(main and a back up) and two transmitter packs......10, count em' not a typo 10 BATTERIES for gas racing!!!

Looks like electric isn't dead after all, it just switched to gas!

LMAO,
Jim
As often as you type all that you should just make it your signature. Then for threads like this all you would have to do is type in "see my signature."
Keeping racing fun and affordable with my 8y.o. twins :)
The best track I've raced is the one in my backyard!
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 08:33 PM   #102
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I agree with Jim. I will take my motor apart and cut a comm every 3-6 runs anyday over clutch bearings, diff and shocks all the time!

WWW.CASPER-RC.COM TLR and Tekin setups
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 08:47 PM   #103
Tech Elite

I agree too.... electric cars are more enjoyable to work on. They are clean and easy to work on. Just pull the motor every few runs... and clean tires... that's about it. If you complain about charging a pack for each run then youre just a big lazy baby and should be doing PS2 or something anyway.

Nitro: clutch springs and filthy oily everything is enough reason to prefer electric.
glassdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 08:59 PM   #104
Tech Elite

BTW... the 1/8 electric thing I think will be big some day. There will be turn key brushless 1/8 before long...

I may build a few myself if I can find the time...
glassdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 05:42 AM   #105
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdoctor
Nitro: clutch springs and filthy oily everything is enough reason to prefer electric.
what happens if you like oil?
mmm... tasty tasty petrochemicals...