R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-14-2007, 07:54 AM   #61
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepirts
glassdr.,
I noticed you removed the brake servo and brakes from your 8ight. Have you run this on the track? How does the braking compare to that of a disk brake car? If the car becomes heavily front end loaded, do the rears spin in reverse?
See post #37...

No disc brakes is a disadvantage... but not a big deal imo. You just drive it a littel different. Consider that 1/10 4wd don't have disc brakes either... mine is just like a big XX4 with a street weapon spool.

I think the 8ight doesn't need brakes as much as some other buggies
glassdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 07:55 AM   #62
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtracer1
probably a good idea on the thread.

sign me up for a conversion.....i'd like to duplicate what you've done too.
You got it man... I would love to see a few more out there.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:38 AM   #63
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdoctor
See post #37...

No disc brakes is a disadvantage... but not a big deal imo. You just drive it a littel different. Consider that 1/10 4wd don't have disc brakes either... mine is just like a big XX4 with a street weapon spool.

In electric buggies (1/10) the motor is shorted for braking. This makes for some pretty powerful brakes. It is also alot more consistant than the mechanical setup on the nitros and easier to adjust. This has long been considered an advantage of electric.
Associated TC7.1
Durango DESC410V2 Pro
sport10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 08:48 AM   #64
Tech Elite

I should have said that it's sommonly viewed as a disadvantage, because you can't adjust the front-rear brake bias. Nitros often use more rear brake to help rotate the car into the corner.

Just like in the XX4 etc where you have the front one-way... this does a similar thing, letting the rear do the braking so it will slide the rear around.

My electric just brakes 100% with all four... so it tends to push coming into the corner. But it depends on track conditions and the car setup.

I have way more brake on tap that needed... I have it dialed down to like 25%.

What I have to do in a hard hair pin type turn is brake early and then let off before the corner so I don't push wide.. then either roll through if the car has plenty of low speed steering or use throttle to get around the corner.

It's just a different driving method. But I prefer to roll through corner like I do wiht a B4 anyway, so I try to avoid stomping on the brakes a lot.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:57 AM   #65
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

You just need to break before the corner instead of in the corner. This is a more consistant way of driving anyway! May not ALWAYS be the fastest but most of the time it is the right thing to do since you are in control in the corners then.

WWW.CASPER-RC.COM TLR and Tekin setups
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:16 AM   #66
Tech Elite

Yup... kind of what i was getting at, lol. Brake coming in then you can roll or throttle around and out of it.

But nitro guys seem to like the steer-from-the-rear thing.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:10 AM   #67
Tech Adept

Quote:
See post #37...

Glass, thanks. Did you make your center diff a spool in your BL 8ight?
sepirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:48 AM   #68
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Yup... kind of what i was getting at, lol. Brake coming in then you can roll or throttle around and out of it.

But nitro guys seem to like the steer-from-the-rear thing.
That is because alot of the buggies push like crazy and they have to use the breaks to turn sharp. One thing that I noticed with the 8ight is you do not have to use brakes as much because it has more steering.
Associated TC7.1
Durango DESC410V2 Pro
sport10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:21 AM   #69
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

When talking with a Kyosho Factory Team Driver he told me that alot of 1/8 scale drivers will run pretty much rear brakes and little to no front ones. I wonder if this acts similar to the free wheel effect you can get on a 1/10 scale 4wd buggy when you run a front center oneway (or the losi XX-4 clicker oneway).
Old 02-14-2007, 11:29 AM   #70
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Not quite. The center diff will keep the front end from "free wheeling" but it does help. Going to heavy in the center will effect the how much the front end will still move under heavy breaking. Not enough in the center though will hurt your acceleration. Too much front break can make it a little the car a little "twitchy" in the air. If you hit the breaks in the air and all 4 tires stop the car pitches over pretty hard.

WWW.CASPER-RC.COM TLR and Tekin setups
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 02:11 PM   #71
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to losi09

Electric is still the way to.There is less mantince in with electric with gas I see more mantince. I see a lot of people having to do a lot of mantince with gas and with electric I see less mantince.
losi09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 04:28 PM   #72
Tech Adept

Quite right of course, although you can get a lot of off-power adjustment by swapping front diff, oneway, shaft/layshaft oneway, spool etc.

Mike

Quote:
I should have said that it's sommonly viewed as a disadvantage, because you can't adjust the front-rear brake bias.
MadMikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 05:31 PM   #73
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I race both. I like the mechanical side and long mains of the gassers, and the ease of the electrics. I always wonder what I would do if I could run either my gas truck or T4 in a 30 min main. I guess I would go with my gasser b/c they would let me run my T4 in the gas class at club races if I wanted. I think they are just two separate worlds of racing, and guys just like what they like. I just happen to enjoy both.
Keeping racing fun and affordable with my 8y.o. twins :)
The best track I've raced is the one in my backyard!
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 05:38 PM   #74
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to losi09

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrow1
I race both. I like the mechanical side and long mains of the gassers, and the ease of the electrics. I always wonder what I would do if I could run either my gas truck or T4 in a 30 min main. I guess I would go with my gasser b/c they would let me run my T4 in the gas class at club races if I wanted. I think they are just two separate worlds of racing, and guys just like what they like. I just happen to enjoy both.
That is true some may like both.
losi09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 08:09 PM   #75
Tech Master

We race the gas and electric 1/10th scale 2wd stadium trucks together alot at club races and the electric trucks make a 5 second stop and go pit stop to make it fair for the gas guys in a 20 minute race. We combine when ever there is low turn out of one class or the other to give the guys numbers to race with instead of 2 or 3.

We split the classes when we usually have atleast 6 to 8 of both classes.
Craps is offline   Reply With Quote