R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   complete overhaul (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/14907-complete-overhaul.html)

crisco001 03-17-2003 12:14 AM

complete overhaul

I bought an rc10gt off from ebay. the motor doesn't run as i knew. instead of replacing the piston and sleeve. I think I'm gonna just replace the motor. What are some good motors for the trucks? Preferably pull start. This IS my first real rc car, but i havenoticed a few problems that i am going to be fixing before i take it to the track. Any suggestions would be good and I'm sure helpful. Thanks in advance:)

Skully 03-17-2003 06:53 PM

Have a look at OS engines. I have found them to be very reliable, extremely easy to tune, and very user friendly.

KevanB 03-17-2003 07:10 PM

Really? I havent started breaking in my OS .12 CVR yet, hopefuly weather this spring break will allow. How many gallons will my OS last? And how many tanks should I break in?

popsracer 03-17-2003 07:30 PM

KevanB;

havent started breaking in my OS .12 CVR yet, hopefuly weather this spring break will allow. How many gallons will my OS last? And how many tanks should I break in?
3-4 tanks taking it very easy, keep the temp ABOVE 200_F and below 260_F for break-in.
Once you have 4 or more tanks through the engine, you can start to lean it out for more power. Most O.S.'s will make good power around 240_F and still run decent at 220.

Expect around 9+ gallons of fuel, If you never overheat your engine and always run the tank dry, then use after run oil.

crisco001;

O.S. engines are very reliable power as 'Skully' stated. Usually though, they tend to priced higher than average. Look for a sale to get one at a decent price.

crisco001 03-17-2003 10:05 PM

ok, that is the motor that is on there right now. an O.S. .12cv, but its a non-pull start. it came with a bump start, but i don't like how it feels using that to try and start the truck. I think I'll just get a whole new engine for it. probably a another O.S. .12cv, but with the pull start. what else will i have to switch over besides the header? thanks for the replies also.

xxxtracer32 03-18-2003 07:11 PM

the flywheel, and motor mounts.

popsracer 03-18-2003 07:36 PM

flywheel, and motor mounts.

Depends. You can use Pull Start Motor mounts and Flywheel on a Non-P/S engine. The engine just sits higher in the chassis. Might want to double check which ones you have before buying new ones.
Won't work the other way around though. A P/S equipped engine NEEDS the taller mounts and flywheel to clear.

crisco001 03-20-2003 12:27 AM

all right! thanks for the replies guys. i'll post back here after i go to my hobby shopt to see what they say. I'd rather go with a pull start motor. thanks again!

xxxtracer32 03-20-2003 06:47 PM

popsracer- i thought that if you used a pull start flywheel and mounts with a non pull start motor the starter box bump wheel wont reach the flywheel or if it dose it rubs on the chassis?:deathstar