Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is the M8 still good??

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 08:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Is the M8 still good??

I've been in and out of R/C for about 20 years. The last time I was into r/c(about 2-3 yrs ago) the M8 was the radio to have so that's what I got with my RC10GT. Is it still considered a good radio? It's been sitting on a shelf for all this time(I dust it off from time to time, but that's it). It was also my first FM radio. What kind of range can I expect with it in an RC10GT? I know surroundings make a difference, but just a ball park. Any advice is welcome... You get out for a couple of years and it's like an episode of Futurama. What's "brushless" mean..............just kidding.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:36 PM
40%
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Range with the M8?.. Not so sure my self but i used to run to a distance of 100mtrs give and take plus plus in a wide open space.

Yes the M8 is still a good gun . your next upgrade will be a spektrum unit for it and it's updated.It's still compatible to a earlier versions of the 3pk and yet the response times on the m8 is almost close to a 3pk.

"brushless" ?? not sure myself bro maybe it's some kind of device u don't brush ur teeth with he he
Old 02-09-2007, 08:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Let's say I'm stupid... "Ok, you're stupid"...What's a spektrum unit? Is that the receiver that has all the channels built in?
Old 02-09-2007, 09:20 PM
40%
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

lol, don't say that ur stupid lol. That is what the forum is for " questions"

More info

http://www.spektrumrc.com/

yes it's a module/unit that is synchronized to your radio and car without ever buying crystals for life.and u'll never have any freq conflicts with other rc blokes near you or at the track .

Now why do i sound like a salesman?.I wish it was me whom invented the spektrum..hahahahaha
Old 02-09-2007, 10:04 PM
Tech Legend

M-8 = good
M-11 = more betta
Old 02-09-2007, 10:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

if your new to everything, an m8 would be more than enough. i have an m8, and i dont even know what some of the stuff do
Old 02-09-2007, 10:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

M8 is still a good radio. Just let go of mine recently.

The Spektrum is a new system that adapts to your M8 or any radio that uses transmitter modules. There's one made for the M8. To make use of it you have to get a Spektrum receiver as well. They sell starter kits that come with both the module and a receiver. The concept is called digital spectrum and works similarly to the way cell phones do. Once you set it up, you won't ever have to worry about someone interfering with your signal again. You can turn on anytime you want at the track and not worry about someone screaming out their frequency being hit. Its also great because you don't have to look for that stupid frequency clip anymore.

I upgraded to the M11, its got some more whistles and bells than the M8 thats all. Your M8 should be good enough. And with a Spektrum, its even better.

Unless you got a lot of excessful money and are looking to have some heated debates at your track on race day, I'd stay away from brushless. Its good for fun but its pretty expensive fun. You can get all kinds of nitro stuff for less than what it would cost you for brushless.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:57 AM
Tech Elite

I still use the M8, I haven't found any cut-and-dry reason to run anything else. It's comfortable, has all the features I would ever need (I don't just a few of them) and I has been virtually problem-free for years now.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Yes the M8 is still a good radio. If you aren't going for the M11 then the M8 is second best.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Any ideas on range? I would think about as far as I can see, but I'd like to be sure. I just read about the Nomadio React 2.4 GHz and it claims a range of 2000 ft. Does the M8 get that? I'm a little paranoid because the receiver battery popped out of my GT once and it went full speed into a curb(the funny thing is that I hadn't gotten it tuned quite the way I wanted yet, but it hit a killer speed on it's way to that curb!) My chassis spent a day in the vise after that. I'm afraid if it gets out of range the same will happen. I know what you're thinking "Get a shut-off switch." That would be too easy. I'd rather spend $90 on replacement parts. I honestly like building, rebuilding, and cleaning them more than I like driving them. My daughter is 1. I figure by the time she's 2 I can teach her to hold the throttle wide open in a dirt field and run it into a tree or some other immovable object. That way I can clean and rebuild it. My Midnight Pumpkin can do 55mph(10 cells 13single, confirmed with a GPS. 7cells taped to front bumper just to keep the front wheels down. Was it unstable at that speed? Hell Yes!! Hit a mailbox.) Anyway, back to my question. Range?

Last edited by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB; 02-10-2007 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default .

buy a fail safe call it a day

there around 20 new

when the rig gets out of radio range its puts the throttle servo back at neutral