R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-09-2007, 08:11 AM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 Addict
2 years from 1 set of tires! How much foam can be seen coming out?
None, but I am on my 2nd set of foams though. Mostly this was to say that drilling or punching a hole in your tires has no effect on the tire durability.
gatermaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 08:12 AM   #17
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

Great advice here. I will add just a few things:

1. BUY QUALITY GLUE! STAY AWAY FROM GREAT PLANES STUFF. Losi Tread lock is probably the best, I also like zap it for a cheap alternative as it works well too. Haven't tried proline.

2. Don't go crazy trimming the edges of your foams. See if someone can shoot a pic of how much should be off of the foam.

Isn't there a company that makes molded 1/10 scale truck and buggy foams? Anyone try this and know who that is?
Old 02-09-2007, 08:53 AM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Im thinking GRP makes the molded truck foams!!!!
GPM BLUE ALUMINUM A-ARM SET U/L
ACNCM ENORMOUS COOLING HEAD
INTEGY SWAY BAR KIT
VANTAGE HX5 TIRES

Micro baja
Micro raminator

ALUMINUM PIVOT BLOCKS
FULLY ADJUSTABLE C/C/S
LOWGEARED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 09:17 AM   #19
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to FastFat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWGEARED
Im thinking GRP makes the molded truck foams!!!!
And they aren't that great.
FastFat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 09:45 AM   #20
Tech Apprentice

Fairly new to the 4wd offroad scene so this is a subject ive had a few questions about.
1)What type of tape: duct tape or some type of reinforced strapping tape?
2)Trimming the foams. I have the proline holeshots and after i got them mounted they dont run very true (kinda wobbly). Would trimming the foams or getting the moulded inserts solve this.

Thanks in advance.
Dtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 10:00 AM   #21
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

If they are wobbly that could be the wheels. You probably want to get a tire balancing kit and go from there.

I think the tape used is strapping tape. Is taping legal? I am not sure if its something done in 4wd buggy, main thing I heard people strapping was the bigger 1/8 scale truggy and MT tires.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:45 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

One other thing, wash the tires before you install! There is a brownish layer on the tires out of the packet. I use Simple Green to wash off.
X5 Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 03:23 PM   #23
Tech Master

I have panther molded truck foams for my T4, not bad at all. I have never taped the inside of my tires, unless you are running nitro, don' think it is that necesary, none of my 2.2 buggy tires ballon, running a 9x2 rev. The big time balloning is in maybe gas truck and truggy, not to sure on buggy.
-Duct tape would be best, much like steel belts in radial tires. You want it teh same width as the actual tread.
-Trimming foams, that is another 6 of one half dozen of the other, I always stretch the foams into the tire, like i put my thumbs inside the foams in the tire and pull them apart adn just rotate around the inside of the tire, helps tremendously. You need to be careful not to get any glue on your foams, or they shirnk and get hard where the glue touches, let alone they are stuck to your wheel.
-Balancing helps, I know I balanced my Bowties for MT, that sticky stuff that kids use to hang posters on their walls works well. Just build your self an axle and lowe arm you can use, and give it a little spin, you can tell if it is out of balance, and put putty oppostie of where the tire settles in small increments.
HTH
Rod
Old 02-09-2007, 03:27 PM   #24
Tech Master

As far as taping being legal, i think as long as you do not cut your tires you can do about anything. it is just added weight in your tires, which causes a bigger moment of inertia, yada yada yada. If your tires have waffle looking ribs on the inside, you should be ok.
HTH
Rod
Old 01-03-2008, 09:17 PM   #25
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_King View Post
Why would you put holes in a tire? That would put stress on that part of the tire and it would come apart easier. I dont understand the logic.
just so the centripetal force "pushes" the H2O/dirt/grime out of the void between tire and rim. Holes in the rim just all stuff to accumulate in the void (or proline sponge) and it can't get out under throttle.

-- f9a
font9a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:40 PM   #26
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattnin View Post
I think thin glue is better. Thick glue is messier in my opinion. I mount lots of tires too. Thin glue flows better, so you can put a drop of it on the rib but it flow to cover about an inch of surface.

What I do first is ensure that the tire fits in the rim. If the rib on the tire is too big, I cut it on the tire all the way around so it fits in there. Then I mount the tires to the rim and I put rubber bands around it so it fits snug. Then I place a drop where the tire and wheel meet. I massage the tire in that area until the drop disappears and flows inside. I do this all around the tire until finished.

I learned this technique from a pro racer. You can also try this too. Do all the tire prep and mount the tires and rubber band. Run a small and thin bead of glue where the tire and wheel meet. Quickly, then massage the tire with two fingers all around to ensure the glue sinks into the rib. I actually prefer this way better than just placing drops around.

+1 on this method. Done this way the thin glue is less messier than the thick. The point about trimming the tire is crucial though. In particular, for Losi tires on Associated/Proline rims the inside bead needs to be trimmed. Only difference is instead of adding glue where the tire and wheel meet, I pull back the tire briefly to eliminate mess, and I put the glue on the rim where the tire bead sits. The Losi thin glue that I use acually tends to act as a lubricant for a few seconds getting the tire bead settled back in place is no problem.
RodneyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 01:09 PM   #27
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Rubber bands suck, they roll over into the center of tire. We use the bands from Panther Products, they're thick and have grips to pull them in place. Makes glueing tires easier but be careful not to glue them to the tire.
desertraton is offline   Reply With Quote