Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Hot Bodies Cyclone D4 EP buggy >

Hot Bodies Cyclone D4 EP buggy

Hot Bodies Cyclone D4 EP buggy

Old 02-07-2007, 07:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

bender,

You say that I misunderstood your post, and that is was not to bash JConcepts.

Originally Posted by bender
It seems to me that the JConcepts are only the "originators" of copying existing designs
Do you really think that is not bashing? Considering that I am one of the designers, can you understand why I took offense?

I am not comparing your car to the TC3"o" merely pointing out that they were the originators of the design concept.
As I said in my previous post, what design concept are you referring to? The only similarity between the TC3"O" and the BJ4 is using components from the TC3 drivetrain. The design concept for the TC3"O" was converting the TC3 for off-road use. The design concept for the BJ4 was to make a 4WD B4. We simply chose the TC3 drivetrain to stick with Associated parts.

This comment was totally uncalled for
I apoligize. I should have been more specific. You have no idea what went into designing the BJ4. You made statements regarding the design and claimed we took the suspension straight off the B4. Those statements massively over-simplify the design and are just wrong.

I also find it ironic that you mentioned that HPI and Tamiya ordered parts from you so that they could build their car, and yet you did the exact same thing with AE when you first built your car!
Here is the big difference; AE doesn't make a 4WD off-road car. We didn't copy an existing car; we DESIGNED the BJ4 around existing Associated components. We also buy those components from Associated for our kits, so Associated gets recognition and profits from us using their parts.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scrubb
My local hobby shop, Wolcott Hobbies and Raceway has sold 10 BJ4 WE kits in the last month. We still have two kits in stock.
I stand corrected.

AndyMoore- Obviously no shop has the D4, its not out yet.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Brad.

This is the last I'll say on the subject as I'm not interested in all these internet arguments about who came up with what idea.

My comment about JConcepts being the originators of copying existing designs was perhaps too generalistic from an engineering point of view, so I can understand you can see that as bashing - it was not my intent to do that, it was more my frustration at others who simple take a quick peek at a new car and then instantly judge it without seeing it close up.

The HB car does look very similar to the BJ, but I'm sure there are enough subtle differences that would make it similar, but not a clone.

I still don't believe that the design concept of the BJ4 differs that much compared to the TC3"O" - their objective was to make a 4wd buggy out of a TC3 whilst minimizing re-engineering of the major compoents, your objective was to make one out of a B4 / TC3 combo, and re-engineer what was necessary to achieve a more pure-bred racer.

Logically, your idea makes more sense, and whilst the overall concept is still similar, the development has just split down two separate paths .

(if you are old enough to remember, the PB Mini-Mustang and the Schumacher Cat were originally designed as the one car, before each company went their own way - and the end result was two very different cars based on the same concept)

If HB can release a car which is roughly the same performance level, but is cheaper to buy, (and easier to get spares for in some places) then that is a good thing for the 4wd class - even if you have to put up with more competition
Old 02-08-2007, 06:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WheelNut
I stand corrected.

AndyMoore- Obviously no shop has the D4, its not out yet.

My point exactly.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:31 AM
Tech Adept

The HB car does look very similar to the BJ, but I'm sure there are enough subtle differences that would make it similar, but not a clone.
I'm afraid in my book, cutting the top plates in a slightly different pattern and making a few bits out of plastic, not alloy, is just a slap in the face for the J-concepts boys. The clone wars have come to off-road
Old 02-10-2007, 12:33 AM
Tech Adept

I also love the Cavaleiri edition motor in there too. Not trying to cash in on anything are you boys.....
Old 02-10-2007, 10:35 AM
Tech Master

I think the buggy looks nice. I wonder how strong it will be. How much would it cost when it comes out?
Old 02-10-2007, 11:23 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by losi09
I think the buggy looks nice. I wonder how strong it will be. How much would it cost when it comes out?
No one knows, but I would say around $400-$450.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:34 AM
Tech Master

Yeah that does sound aobut right for a knew 4wd buggy.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:26 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Release date?

Hi

My mail is that the D4 will not be released until May. Sooo LonGGG to wait.

Jeff
Old 02-22-2007, 08:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by BradR
FYI - Both HPI and Tamiya started ordering BJ4 parts from us early last year (worlds conversion kits, a-arms, caster blocks, suspension mounts, CVD's, etc.).
Doesnt this bother you guys at all??? Or is it common practice?
Old 02-22-2007, 09:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bit_Rusty
Doesnt this bother you guys at all??? Or is it common practice?

They would have "sourced" the parts one way or another.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Pictures from www.oople.com

Old 03-13-2007, 01:08 PM
Tech Master

The most original thing on the buggy is the dust. I've never seen a BJ4 Worlds with dust on it.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

sweet buggy. who cares what it looks like. no need to reinvent the wheel. there are only so many places where u can put the motor and batteries u know.

more manufacturers = more people racing 4wd = more bigger the class will be. win win for all.

i like the TC style hubs, like the kyosho and use of Metric sized screws.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.