Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Hot Bodies Cyclone D4 EP buggy >

Hot Bodies Cyclone D4 EP buggy

Hot Bodies Cyclone D4 EP buggy

Old 07-06-2007, 02:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 135 (100%+)

As an engineer, I don't have any idea why a company would want to "re-invent the wheel" and design a completely new car from the ground up. There is too much risk and time investment required and there are a lot of excellent designs out there already. Design improvements that work well are going to be evoluationary, not revolutionary typically. If I were to design a new 4WD 10th scale electric, I would do exactly what HB probably did: Study the best products on the market in great detail, make refinements to the areas that need them, and leave the rest of the design alone. Then, every two or three years, I would again study the best in the field, make refinements to my own design taking in to consideration feedback from customers and my drivers, and implement cost reductions to keep me price-competitive with other manufacturers.

Apparently, Toyota has a rule that no more than 20% new parts on a new model release. That gives them time to focus on designing and manufacturing those parts right and cuts down on the risk after production (not to mention faster time to market and less cost for new tooling, suppliers, drawings, equipment, procedures, qualifications, tests, etc.).

T-Tech has a cool design that is truly revolutionary, but I've never even seen one in person. No one I know runs one, and I don't know of a LHS that stocks them. They're expensive and they've had many problems. That's the downside of being revolutionary. People are running BJ4's, ZX5's, and Losi cars. They are designed well, they work, they are reasonable, and parts are available.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ManicRC
As an engineer, I don't have any idea why a company would want to "re-invent the wheel" and design a completely new car from the ground up. There is too much risk and time investment required and there are a lot of excellent designs out there already. Design improvements that work well are going to be evoluationary, not revolutionary typically. If I were to design a new 4WD 10th scale electric, I would do exactly what HB probably did: Study the best products on the market in great detail, make refinements to the areas that need them, and leave the rest of the design alone. Then, every two or three years, I would again study the best in the field, make refinements to my own design taking in to consideration feedback from customers and my drivers, and implement cost reductions to keep me price-competitive with other manufacturers.

Apparently, Toyota has a rule that no more than 20% new parts on a new model release. That gives them time to focus on designing and manufacturing those parts right and cuts down on the risk after production (not to mention faster time to market and less cost for new tooling, suppliers, drawings, equipment, procedures, qualifications, tests, etc.).

T-Tech has a cool design that is truly revolutionary, but I've never even seen one in person. No one I know runs one, and I don't know of a LHS that stocks them. They're expensive and they've had many problems. That's the downside of being revolutionary. People are running BJ4's, ZX5's, and Losi cars. They are designed well, they work, they are reasonable, and parts are available.
But T-Tech isn't a popular company, if a larger more established company were to produce a car similar to the X10 then wouldn't it do better simply because of racers being loyal to certain companies and parts are easily accessible simply because of the manufactures name. Thats how I look at it, and I am no engineer by far.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 135 (100%+)

I am sure that TTech's lack of presence in the US is part of the reason for their lack of popluarity. They aren't doing much marketing or racing in the US it seems. The $600+ pricetag is also a reason IMO. Are customers willing to pay that much more for the X11? Is it that much better than the others? I don't know, but I doubt it. If I had the money to burn, I'd buy one just out of curiosity. Then again, the first time it broke and I had to buy a $45 crash kit just for an arm, then wait a week for it to arrive on my doorstep, I'd probably sell it and buy something with local parts support.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they are doing what they are doing. It's great that there are innovators in the industry because it will help other companies make better products in the long run. They all learn from each others' successes and failures.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BillyCaldwell
Will this new diff bolt be compatible with the cyclone sedan diffs?
you can also use it for the cyclone sedan too. but you will have to grind the aluminum diff out-drive, due to the screw is 2.6mm. (the hole need to be more than 2.6mm)
Old 07-07-2007, 11:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

use which shock oil in bump track ?

Thankyou !
Old 07-07-2007, 12:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

How hard will parts be to come by for this car in the US? I'm looking to get a 4x4 that will run on a banged up 8th scale track. Not sure if I should get the xx losi, zx5, or spend more cash and get this HB. I dont mind paying for a good kit, but i'm not familiar with the parts cost and availibility of hotbodies in the US.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:06 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by nemix
How hard will parts be to come by for this car in the US? I'm looking to get a 4x4 that will run on a banged up 8th scale track. Not sure if I should get the xx losi, zx5, or spend more cash and get this HB. I dont mind paying for a good kit, but i'm not familiar with the parts cost and availibility of hotbodies in the US.
but D4 = BJ4 , price more cheaper,
ZX-5 with lower price
Old 07-07-2007, 02:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

XX-4 will handle the bumps better I think.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:10 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by annie_himself
XX-4 will handle the bumps better I think.
Predator X10 or X11 ?
Old 07-09-2007, 10:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Hi peoples in this forum! Just thought i would like to share my thoughts on the d4 build. I am currently still building this kit and it has been really easy. Parts have fitted together very nicely and i have only found one type error in the manual. But i have found building the shocks has not been much fun for me. First front went together fine but then the second one took me heaps of goes to get it to bleed right, i had to force it tight with a lot of effort to get it to stop leaking through the bleed hole at the top. the first rear shock went smoothly and bleed good first go but the other rear shock i split the o ring in half while i was tighting the ends.

Has anyone else had issues with the shocks or is it just me. Also i think i read that people were using losi shocks is this true?

cant wait to get the car on the track it looks like it has the goods to be a very competitive car!!!!!

peter
Old 07-10-2007, 01:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC MARKET
but D4 = BJ4 , price more cheaper,
ZX-5 with lower price
wow.....
Old 07-11-2007, 04:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

what is the deal with the shocks ! i can not get them to bleed up properly and i am not some newbie i have plenty of experience in building shocks. i have tried every way possible such as the manual andfollowed the shock building tip from there web site and none of them have worked for me. I have only manage to get the front shocks to bleed up properly but not the rear yet. has anyone else had problems build there shocks? i have blown about 6 o rigs inthe process luckily i found a local supplier of o rings.

any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

The D4 is already being sold?! What dealer is stocking the, does anyone know? I can't seem to find any.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Boadazofa
what is the deal with the shocks ! i can not get them to bleed up properly and i am not some newbie i have plenty of experience in building shocks. i have tried every way possible such as the manual andfollowed the shock building tip from there web site and none of them have worked for me. I have only manage to get the front shocks to bleed up properly but not the rear yet. has anyone else had problems build there shocks? i have blown about 6 o rigs inthe process luckily i found a local supplier of o rings.

any help would be appreciated.
I have had no issue and I have rebuilt them over 60 times now. do the bottom of the shock up and bleed from the top. I have managed to use the bleed hole and it works a treat - no issue and the shocks are really smooth. They are a little more difficult than some others to get the right amount of rebound.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

cheers mate will give that a go! i have got them together now but i split about 6 orings on the oring adapter trying to do it. They are working but i am still not 100% satisfied that they are perfect. Apart from that this is a great looking machine and i cant wait to get it on the track for its first test run!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.