R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-06-2007, 03:51 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Need help with novak brushless setup plz

I've just got a Novak SS 5800 and put it into my ZX-5. The problem im having is there is no response from either the servo or motor. All I have is a red and green light permanently on.

The instructions say : Make sure input signal harness is plugged into throttle channel of receiver & ESC. Check throttle channel operation with a servo. Check wiring sequence of receiver signal harness. Green and Red status LEDs will both be on solid.

The gold connecter on the red to red is fine but the black seems like its a slightly different and won't fit properly but still makes a connection:

Any help would be appreciated, thankyou.
Orsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:08 AM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

What happens when you hold the reset button for 5 seconds on the ESC?
foolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:05 AM   #3
Tech Rookie

erm, All 4 LEDs light up, then each they all flash 6 times. Then they individually light up in turn then it goes back to red and green perminant.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:34 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

do you have the instructions for it? if not go to novak.com and you can view them online. it doesn't look like you did the initial programming, where you turn you throttle epa's all the way up and brakes to then hold the set button on the esc and turn it on and after it flashes the sequence of lights, that instructions say you pull the throttle to full until another light comes on, then you push to full brakes until another light comes on. once that is done it is programmed. from there you can then change profiles to the one you want.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:01 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

ok i found my instructions. transmitter on, hold set button on esc then turn it on, hold until red light comes on release set button. the pull throttle all the way hold it until light is solid green, then to full brakes until light blinks green then back to neutral trigger location light will turn solid red. from here when you hit the trigger the wheels will no turn, but not during programming. until you do this you wont have brakes either when you drive, you also won't have full top speed either. this should take care of your problem.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:32 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzBobby
ok i found my instructions. transmitter on, hold set button on esc then turn it on, hold until red light comes on release set button. the pull throttle all the way hold it until light is solid green, then to full brakes until light blinks green then back to neutral trigger location light will turn solid red. from here when you hit the trigger the wheels will no turn, but not during programming. until you do this you wont have brakes either when you drive, you also won't have full top speed either. this should take care of your problem.
Ok, thanks for help, I've turned the transmitter on as you said, held the set button down and turned it on until the red light comes on and released the set button. I've then held it all the way in but the red light is remaining on and not changing to green?
Old 02-06-2007, 02:12 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

in troubleshooting it says to make sure your three wires are connected to the proper terminals on the motor and that the sensor harness is connected. if you push hard enough you can plug the sensor wire in backwards on the esc. also i see in your pic that you have replaced the yellow, blue and orange wires.looking at the top of the esc the wires are in this order from top to the bottom the red power to battery,orange wire to phase c on the motor,yellow wire to phase b on motor,blue wire to phase a on the motor, then black negative to battery. also i have the gtb esc but the wire order is the same. but i just went to novak page and read the instructions for the ss model and the trouble shooting says exact samething. after this all i can say is to call them and see what they say.

http://www.teamnovak.com/download/in...tPlusInstr.pdf
Old 02-06-2007, 02:38 PM   #8
Tech Rookie

Ok well I bought the esc and motor second hand and as far as you know it should be working, its wired up as the original owner had it and I bought it from a local club. I'll speak to Novak about it also, thanks.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:45 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Paul_Sinclair

I think I know what your biggest problem is: you are in profile 6, which is meant for brushed motors only(!); but you've got a brushless motor hooked up. You said:
Quote:
erm, All 4 LEDs light up, then each they all flash 6 times. Then they individually light up in turn then it goes back to red and green perminant.
When all four lights are flashing, its informing you of the profile you are in. Profile 6 is for brushed motors, not brushless. Find the instructions about the profiles here .

Unfortunately, it looks like you might have damaged the speed controller; Novak warns you to never connect a brushless motor when the speedo is in brushed mode (profile 6). You can try to change it back to brushless mode by doing the following:
1. Turn the speedo off.
2. Remove the sensor wires from the speedo.
3. Press and hold the set-up button.
4. Turn the speedo on (while still holding the set-up button!).
5. When the blue and red LED's come on, release the set-up button.
6. The blue and red LED's will flash 9 times and then go solid.
7. When the blue and red LED's are solid, quickly press and release the set-up button.
8. The green LED will flash for a few seconds; after that turn the speedo off and reconnect the sensor wire.

Go ahead then and hook it back up and try it out. Hopefully it will work for you, if not you'll probably need to talk to Novak.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:11 PM   #10
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the information, ESC and Motor have been returned.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:10 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default having the same issue

well I have had the same issue and always after i connect the sensor wires it goes bask to solid red and flashing green.

any help do i need a new ESC or MOtor
Mattman1147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:38 AM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I know it might seem silly... but are you sure the battery you are using is charged? I've seen folks at the track with GTBs that have the same prob until they changed batteries...

Jerome
JeromeK99 is offline   Reply With Quote