R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-24-2007, 01:29 PM   #46
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by losi09
Yes I do have my own lathe (well its my dads), but he did show me how to use it but that was a long time ago have not used in a long time so he would have to so me how to use it agian.
Dave has one ill show you how to use it i just learned its pretty easy.i to have a few motors to cut .also got a new banzai for jbrl. not gonna run it though keep it fresh for the event.
m_perkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 03:24 PM   #47
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to losi09

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_perkins
Dave has one ill show you how to use it i just learned its pretty easy.i to have a few motors to cut .also got a new banzai for jbrl. not gonna run it though keep it fresh for the event.
Oh ok thanks mitchel. I just asked dave if I can get a ride up there to hot rod hobbies so lets see what he says if i can come along or not.
losi09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 05:20 PM   #48
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Good Grief...learn to spell, at least a little
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 07:04 PM   #49
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie
Good Grief...learn to spell, at least a little
who in the hell are you talking to buddy.no one spelled nuthin wrong.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:50 PM   #50
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to losi09

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_perkins
who in the hell are you talking to buddy.no one spelled nuthin wrong.
Yeah I know u in the hell are talking too?
losi09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 08:21 PM   #51
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default When Using Deans...

I have always used Deans. Sometimes the one going to the motor does come undone. When I'm on the ball I place a 4" zip tie around that plug. (when you solder the Deans keep wire towards the outside) The plug to battery doesn't seem to unplug ever.

I'm am curious how to clean the plugs.

BTW SoCal guy's. They have the Zip ties at $0.99 store right now, 200 in a pack.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:33 PM   #52
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgroenhof
I have always used Deans. Sometimes the one going to the motor does come undone. When I'm on the ball I place a 4" zip tie around that plug. (when you solder the Deans keep wire towards the outside) The plug to battery doesn't seem to unplug ever.

I'm am curious how to clean the plugs.

BTW SoCal guy's. They have the Zip ties at $0.99 store right now, 200 in a pack.
tell you what man you can clean them with motor spray,or just buy new ones .
Old 07-09-2007, 03:08 PM   #53
Tech Addict

Hey the search actually worked for me!!!

Simple yes or no question. has anyone seen or can notice a permformance difference using direct soldering (on the batts)? no more personal preference answers please. My preference is speed 1st with PITA to deal with a close 2nd...so currently I'm still running deans on the batts til I can get a clear answer. lol. It has to make some noticable difference or all the fast guys wouldn't be doing it! Nobody has sold me that the difference is worth the trouble...

Oh, and deans do get dirty for ever said they didn't... motorspray works good.

..and technically EVERYTHING has resistance(solder, deans, wires!, etc) That is fact. Granted less is better.
speedsterblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 11:53 PM   #54
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

It's personal preferance, like Chevy vs. Ford. Though I have had more than one Deans go bad. I direct solder now just for consistancy between all my cars. Down side to direct solder in minimal heat on cells and more wear and tear on the wires so you would have to replace them more often, which is not a bad idea anyway. With time all things build resistance. Plugs wear out and old solder from direct soldering adds resistance. There are down sides to both. Like I said at first......personal preferance.

Serpent America
Lunsford Racing
RCBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 02:42 PM   #55
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to tenpins77
Default my argument

okay, i think to be honest most of us guys who direct solder, do it cauz all the kool guys do it. LOL, if your like me and read each issue of an rc mag 20 times, you will see that maifield, hara, calvaleri etc all driect solder. it looks kooler and gives it that factory look. Same reason as to why i went with all black wire on my brushless motor and esc. Who wants a rainbow of wires all over the place? and who doesn't want to have the koolest lookin car at the track?

makes things confusing to
tenpins77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 03:15 PM   #56
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

It is possible to keep your car looking clean while using plugs.. Just takes a little more work. And as mentioned before personal preference blah blah blah. I prefer the ease of use with the plugs.
rc10gt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 04:48 PM   #57
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Tests have shown a deans conection has less resistance then the same length of wire. I run plugs on all my batts for convienve. The cost is not high and I have used the same plugs for YEARS! I run at a very high level of spec racing. You get a little extra weight and some extra wire length but no loss is performance. Another fact is that one clean solder joint has less resistance then a joint that has been redone 50 times. Dirt and other stuff get on the wires that you constantly resolder for doing batteries. I do hard wire my motors though.

Running Deans I have NEVER had a failure of a plug. I have been using them for 15 years! I have never had a battery plugged in backwards. Yes it looks cleaner to hard wire the wire to the battery but looks don't win races.

If you can tell the difference on the track when it is a bearly measurable difference on the bench (slightly more wire when using plugs) then you should be replaceing the wire freq to maintain a good low resistance solder joint to the batteries. A bad redone 100 times solder joint will have more resistance then a plug!

WWW.CASPER-RC.COM TLR and Tekin setups
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:15 PM   #58
Tech Fanatic

I also like the Trinity plugs. The look, I think, is better than direct solder, especially over time. The plugs stay looking good. The weight is insignificant (probably comparable to the hunk of solder that sometimes accumulates on the wire after a few months of neglect and heavy use )
RodneyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:32 AM   #59
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to caferacer

rule of thumb. for every unsoldered connection you lose 1 tenth of 1 amp. that said, i prefer plugs, just keep the plug nice and clean. i use tv tuner cleaner and a quick swipe of scotch brite pad. i use the deutch connectors that msd sells. waterproof and low low resistance.
Attached Thumbnails
Soldering or plugs?-msd-8173_cp.jpg  
Old 07-31-2007, 01:10 PM   #60
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TechWun Send a message via MSN to TechWun Send a message via Yahoo to TechWun

I've been a electronics tech for a VERY long time in both digital and analogue fields. And I don't mean I fix TV's either!

I need to make it very clear that there is no such thing as a zero loss connection. This INCLUDES soldered connections! Even a solid strand of wire drops voltage over a given length. It is a technological fact that no conductor is 'perfect' only some that come close enough to call them perfect, and if there were a perfect conductor it wouldn't be anywhere near affordable.

If you were to try and perfectly calculate your loss from start to finish (source to load) you would need more numbers than you want to even look at. So without getting into that sort of thing, here is what I suggest.

Do whatever is convienent for you!

And OBSERVE the contact ratings of any terminations (plugs) you install. If you wanted to get technical, without getting too technical, current clamp your load under WOT (wide open throttle) and make sure your terminations are rated for that Current + .20 x Current - Ie. 20 amp draw, use connectors rated at least 24 amps.

Most multimeters (DMM's) will allow 10-20 A current readings. A clamp style meter will allow for much higher readings. The readings you get will vary by equipment used, so clamp each setup to know exactly what your worst case scenario would be.

You have my word that as long as you observe the rules, you will notice no change in performance between connector and soldered. I advise that you try and stay away from connectors with low contact area. They have a tendency to develop 'hot junctions' that will quickly work to destroy itself.

Best contact area binding plugs I've seen to date are used on mambamax esc's and the second best contact area i've seen are the deans ultra. Contact area is important to keep your connector alive. You can use some dielectric grease to keep corrosion at bay longer. You can pick that up at an auto parts store if your not electronics supplier savvy.

The other thing you want to avoid is a heavily plated connector. As the plating starts to wear off it will make contact with the plated materials. These are usually two different types of metal and the alloy's will start to corrode when this happens. For what it's worth I have seen this on the old deans plugs. Check with deans on that about the new ultra's.

At any rate, try and clean the contacts after X amount of runs, and keep them greased. If they are rated for your setup and you managed to find plateless connectors, they should last a lifetime.

- Matt