R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-20-2007, 11:49 AM   #16
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to losi09

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_perkins
i perfer plugs just because you dont always have to have a hot iron around .
I am sure u know that one know mitchall. When my dad let u use is soldering gun u ended up burning u figers.
losi09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:49 AM   #17
Tech Master

[QUOTE=m_perkins]deans isint really that hard to put togher .[/QUOT

Deans is pretty easy to setup and use.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:13 PM   #18
Tech Apprentice

I love my Trinity Gold plugs. They remind me of banana clips. Super easy to work with and if you are in need of the space the lack of a "plug" gives you room and look of direct solder.
FowLer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 04:23 PM   #19
Tech Apprentice

deans plug suck shit. they look ugly, they get expensive, each pack requires wire, when they get a few months old they get real dirty and unless changed the resistance will go up alot. also when it gets old the plug becomes looser and can fall off in a crash.

direct solder is good, but they will cause extra heat everytime you solder it, so the end cells will fail first. so only do it if you willing to throw out your batts earlier.

best comprimise is the trinity plugs, cheap, looks good, doesnt get dirty.
PIITB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 07:40 PM   #20
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIITB
deans plug suck shit. they look ugly, they get expensive, each pack requires wire, when they get a few months old they get real dirty and unless changed the resistance will go up alot. also when it gets old the plug becomes looser and can fall off in a crash.

direct solder is good, but they will cause extra heat everytime you solder it, so the end cells will fail first. so only do it if you willing to throw out your batts earlier.

not if you take care of your stuff and replace them every couple months but you have a point though if you do not solder them on properly or take care of them then there no good .
m_perkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 08:11 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I run plugs on everything but my 1/12 scale. Unless you can get around a track without crashing everytime the very minimal performance gain is nothing more than wanting to look a little better. And there is nothing wrong with that and doing it that way. I would direct solder but I also don't like having a iron going all the time. I've only ever had one deans plug go bad and run them alot. It helps keep them working smoothly to have a male and female plugged together when you do the soldering (not one connected to a battery though!). It keeps the pins or tabs centered in the plug. Also make sure you check, and recheck again the polarity of all wires with plugs before plugging anything in!! Takes a blink of an eye or less to smoke an esc due to a backwards wire. But I've seen it happen with direct soldering as well many times.

Either way works great, you just have to reason it out and do what works best for you.
Keeping racing fun and affordable with my 8y.o. twins :)
The best track I've raced is the one in my backyard!
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:30 PM   #22
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrow1
I run plugs on everything but my 1/12 scale. Unless you can get around a track without crashing everytime the very minimal performance gain is nothing more than wanting to look a little better. And there is nothing wrong with that and doing it that way. I would direct solder but I also don't like having a iron going all the time. I've only ever had one deans plug go bad and run them alot. It helps keep them working smoothly to have a male and female plugged together when you do the soldering (not one connected to a battery though!). It keeps the pins or tabs centered in the plug. Also make sure you check, and recheck again the polarity of all wires with plugs before plugging anything in!! Takes a blink of an eye or less to smoke an esc due to a backwards wire. But I've seen it happen with direct soldering as well many times.

Either way works great, you just have to reason it out and do what works best for you.
really the reason i dont direct is because im to lazy to keep doing it and just using the plugs is faster .
Old 02-20-2007, 11:52 PM   #23
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FowLer
I love my Trinity Gold plugs. They remind me of banana clips. Super easy to work with and if you are in need of the space the lack of a "plug" gives you room and look of direct solder.
I have not or herd of trinity gold plugs. Were can u buy them? I only seen deans plugs.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:54 PM   #24
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIITB

The deans plugs do not cost a lot and they do not get dirty at all, and they also last too.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:55 PM   #25
Tech Master

Quote:
really the reason i dont direct is because im to lazy to keep doing it and just using the plugs is faster .
Hey mitchall so I am gusing u use plugs know? and I figerd that would be the reason why u use plugs know cause ur are lazy.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:29 AM   #26
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by losi09
Hey mitchall so I am gusing u use plugs know? and I figerd that would be the reason why u use plugs know cause ur are lazy.
thanks cole .your not afraid to speek whats on your mind are ya. so saturday FHR on for you or do you have work.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:58 AM   #27
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by losi09
also cole i have always used deans never direct like i said to lazy and dont have to have a hot iron around .
Old 02-21-2007, 10:09 AM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to GroffBall

A bad solder joint which will happen occasionally is not worth the benefits of hard wiring. I lost a TCS race thanks to a bad solder joint that popped since then I've been running the trinity gold plugs and havn't looked back. Simple, clean, and no worries about a bad connection.
GroffBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 10:48 AM   #29
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 85 (98%+)

I have never had a problem with the Power Pole connectors!!!
dubum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:53 AM   #30
Tech Master

Quote:
also cole i have always used deans never direct like i said to lazy and dont have to have a hot iron around .
The last time when I was at FHR I say that u were direct solder with u motor but not ur battere. I know u are to lazy to bring a soldering iron. I am too the same way.