R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-05-2007, 08:24 PM   #1

Trader Rating: 148 (99%+)
Default Proline 1/8 scale molded foams

Does anyone know FOR SURE if Proline got their 1/8 scale buggy molded foam problem straightened out. The ones I ran last fall crumbled like like my Cubbies in September....

Thanks in advance....Brad

==TEAM NOVELTY==
WYLDTHING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 09:48 AM   #2

Anyone have any solid info on this???

==TEAM NOVELTY==
Old 02-06-2007, 11:27 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The ones i've seen come in lately look the same. JUNK.. the advantage ones are nice. Not sure on the ofna ones either.
schmelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:31 AM   #4

Thanks for the info schmelme....Haven't tried the OFNA ones yet myself. I used to use the panther green foams, but they don't seem to be around anymore.

Anyone else know anything else about the proline foams??

Thanks, Brad

==TEAM NOVELTY==
Old 02-06-2007, 11:35 AM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

The word is that they are fixed. Disclaimer: Your results may vary.

I have used the Ofna orange (soft) foam and I like it alot. It could probably stand to be taped to the rim because the raised part of the inside of the foam for the channel in the rim is much narrower than any rim I have ever seen so the foam can move back and forth. I don't know if it's a problem, standard foam has nothing keeping it in place after all.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:41 AM   #6

Results may vary....lol, that makes me feel so inspired...

I was fondling the OFNA orange foams last week at the LHS, and man they felt soft!!! I noticed the inside "band" was narrower than normal too, like you said. They had another color of the OFNA foams too, and they were much stiffer, but I don't recall the color.
The regular/old style foams we had to "stuff" in the tire, so that would hold them in place better I would think. I wonder why OFNA made the inside groove so much smaller???

==TEAM NOVELTY==
Old 02-06-2007, 01:00 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hey WYLDTHING the Proline moldeds are very inconsistent as I'm sure what you are questioning. We've compiled a heap of them and started to compare and they have a disticnt soft and mediumness when you seperate them. I could get a set with crime fighters of four and have 2 soft and 2 mediums. And the fact that they were falling apart just made for a large bag of them lying around. We've been running the oarange and yellow ofnas and they are very good. They're cheap and come in package of 6 so if you buy two bags you end up with enough foams for 3 sets of tires.

As for the old green Panthers, supposedly they had a fall out with their molder this time last year and the greens are more like "gold" now. Everyone that has them hoard them. Someone has recently told me that Werks actually molds the green now and they're supposed to be the same as the green Panthers but I have never ran them.

Good luck, the Ofnas are what seems to be the hot setup...
cwalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 01:09 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYLDTHING
Results may vary....lol, that makes me feel so inspired...

I was fondling the OFNA orange foams last week at the LHS, and man they felt soft!!! :

Don't be discouraged by the softness. They feel much more firm in the tires. The first batch of yellow foams (firm) were too stiff for anything other than indoor or Panther Gators (very thin casing).

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 01:19 PM   #9

Ya, I put three new sets of tires together last fall, and I used the stock molded foams in two of the sets. (1 crimefighters and one knuckle), and the foams completely crumbled in the tires(crimefighters)!! They looked like cottage cheese! I ended up trimming one side of the tire off of each wheel and replacing the foams so I could at least use the tires till they were used up.
One pair of knuckles I put the regular, unmolded foams in and ran for one heat race, and they were fine...
The other knuckles with the molded foams in them were still brand new, and I did the same with them (trimmed and replaced the foams) before I even ran them.
I seen the new werkx green molded foams at the LHS last week too, but didn't know much about them. The Werkx website doesn't even list them yet! They were in a pack of four, and were 12 bucks just for four foams!!!!!

==TEAM NOVELTY==
Old 02-06-2007, 01:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidka
Don't be discouraged by the softness. They feel much more firm in the tires. The first batch of yellow foams (firm) were too stiff for anything other than indoor or Panther Gators (very thin casing).
I'll give the orange ones a try too.....

==TEAM NOVELTY==
Old 02-11-2007, 06:10 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYLDTHING
The ones I ran last fall crumbled like like my Cubbies in September....

lol, i knew there was something questionable about you! Everyone knows that the cubbies swoon in June and cant possibly be in contention to fold in September! lol...GO CARDINALS WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mach51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 07:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach51
lol, i knew there was something questionable about you! Everyone knows that the cubbies swoon in June and cant possibly be in contention to fold in September! lol...GO CARDINALS WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CARDINALS??? BOOOOO! You mean the team with all the steroid boys on it??? I wouldn't root for the stero....*clear throat* cardinals, if they were the last team on the earth....
The ONLY time I even THINK about rooting for the uh hum....cardinals, is when they are playing the grossly overpaid yankees.
The only thing that makes me happier than the "cardinals" losing, is watching steinbrenner spend all that money every year, and then seeing them fold in september...tooooo funny!

Sorry yankee fans...lol.

The Colts did it for me this year, now the Cubbies have to get it done, and I can die a happy man!!!

==TEAM NOVELTY==
Old 02-11-2007, 03:17 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Results may vary means you may get hold of a pair of tires that had been on the distibutors shelfs for awhile. Remember when the B3 was breaking front steering blocks it took almost a half a year to rid ourselves of the old ones.
I havent had any breakdown in any of my tires and I ran a set of cf's all season at the local track.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:51 PM   #14
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Talking

hey wyld thing , the revamped stock proline molded are killer , you just got to be careful when buying crime fighters and other older design tires as like someome said earlier they might have been sitting on the shelf for a while the orange ofna foams are my second choice (would be better if they werent so narrow) dont use yellow ofnas for outdoor tires the werks foams are pretty good , just a lil stiff and more expensive
good luck , Monty
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES /RC-OMG USA/ TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 06:59 PM   #15

I know the first couple of sets that I bought back in like september last year, were really bad. Didn't last one heat race before they had completely crumbled...
I'm glad to hear that Proline has gotten the problem sorted out!! I use aftermarket inserts most of the time, but when I know I'm gonna go through a set of tires in day, or even one race, I just use the stockers. So, it's nice to have stock foams that you can actually use for that.

I just bought a bulk lot of 40 new Panther green molded foams, so I'm set there for a while, I think...lol. Didn't really need that many, but it was too good of a deal to pass up...
Anyway, thanks to everyone for the input, and if you find yourself needing any Panther green foams, you know who to get ahold of...lol.

Thanks, Brad

==TEAM NOVELTY==