R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-05-2007, 06:16 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)
Default airtronics servo chatter, help !!!

I run a nitro truck and I have installed a airtronics 94357 steering servo. When servo trys to center itself it starts to chatter real bad side to side, sometimes real back, sometimes not too bad. I pulled the servo out and checked it with several other radio systems that I have and still the same thing. Is there a simple fix or can I send it in somewhere to have it fixed... I really like this servo but cant drive it with the chatter in it. ANY help is better than where I am now.. Thanks and have a great day... Patrick
slufoot78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 06:43 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

does it sometimes get stuck like when you trun it one way or the other? also does it seem not to turn one way very well? if either of those is the case there is a plastic gear inside the servo that has stripped. other than that you could be experiencing some glitching, that could be some wire is chaffed and ground to your chassis from any part of you electronics, causing wierd signal distortion. since you say you tried it on other systems it doesn't sound as though its your reciever. check the wire from your reciever pack, throttle servo, and the steering one. but i think it is the plastic gear.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:56 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

Thanks for the reply, took it all the way out of truck and bench tested it with other radio system, I use spek but thought it might be problem so I tested it with am and fm radio equiptment but still did the same thing. Checked all gears and they are ok, They are all metal gears too... Thanks and pulling hair out
slufoot78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 09:44 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

the plastic one is at the bottom of the gear stack in the center betwen the shaft coming from the bottom of the case and the output shaft. i have four 357 and there is a plastic one in there.it is white and with the white grease on all the gears its hard to se it sometimes. the replacement gear comes in a pack of four and it is like 5 bucks for it. then you'll have 3 spares if it happens again. the way i used one up was buy not having my epa adjusted right and the servo was wanting to turn farther than the truck would turn. it eat up the gear, then the next one was i was still learning to drive and i keep just brushing the pipes alot and it finally eat that one. since then i still have two gears left over.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:27 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Amains hobbies has them for 3.95 heres a pic of the package. thats the part number too in the pic but you can upgrade to the all metal gear set in a 357.
Attached Thumbnails
airtronics servo chatter, help !!!-air99502_1.jpg