R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-05-2007, 12:13 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AndyMoore
Default Aftermarket .12 Heads?

Is there really a point to running one of these? I can see how it adds bling, which can be necessary, haha. Other than that, do they actually perform, or perform enough to notice a difference?
Old 02-05-2007, 07:08 AM   #2
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMoore
Is there really a point to running one of these? I can see how it adds bling, which can be necessary, haha. Other than that, do they actually perform, or perform enough to notice a difference?
i put a king headz head on my mugen mt .12 motor in my adam drake 1 when i was running 1/10th gas truck. running in florida's heat and humidity i felt it might help. it did drop the temp down about 10/15 degrees over the stock purple head that came with it. i'd suspect that different heads will produce different results.
Losi XXX-MF2/CRC SC
B&T R/C - http://b-treman-rc.valp.net/btrchome.htm
dirtracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:22 AM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Most aftermarket heads I have seen are more damaging than stock. They are almost all way too large, overcooling the engine. The majority of heads are bought by people who believe more cooling will allow you to run leaner and gain more power. This is completely untrue. The overcooled motor will just mask the increase in temps caused by lean running and the motor will wear out from lack of oil.

There are a few engines out there that do run excessively hot and could benefit from a larger head. But 98% do not.
gubbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 11:05 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Thanks for the information guys. So basically I need to find an OE hopup OS head (for a .12 TG) or an Odonnell, or dont waste my time. Thats only if I feel I need a little extra bling, there isnt a gain to be had.

dirtracer1-want to bury the hatchet?
Old 02-05-2007, 02:55 PM   #5
Tech Addict

The TG shouldn't need any more cooling than it already has. It's head is very similar to a CV-R, TR, TZ, ect. The CV on the other hand was a motor that did need a better cooling head; hence the CV Hyper.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:15 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMoore
dirtracer1-want to bury the hatchet?

life's too short. it was buried a couple days ago.....in fact, i'm not even sure where it was laid to rest at.

btw....gubbs is right about the old .12 cv....the one that came with that cast alum head.....it HAD to have an upgraded head. i still have a cv with a king headz head on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Aftermarket .12 Heads?-100_2665.1.jpg  
Losi XXX-MF2/CRC SC
Old 02-05-2007, 04:20 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gubbs3
Most aftermarket heads I have seen are more damaging than stock. They are almost all way too large, overcooling the engine. The majority of heads are bought by people who believe more cooling will allow you to run leaner and gain more power. This is completely untrue. The overcooled motor will just mask the increase in temps caused by lean running and the motor will wear out from lack of oil.

There are a few engines out there that do run excessively hot and could benefit from a larger head. But 98% do not.
gubbs......that might be a true statement in coon rapids mn, however, in the heat and humidity of florida, extra cooling is usually needed. we race in 95 degree heat with 90 to 100 %RH. that's cookin'.....not only for the motor, but for me too.
Losi XXX-MF2/CRC SC
Old 02-05-2007, 04:26 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

yea they are a bit necessary in Az. also. but there some heads that will overcool a motor even here and you have to be careful. the more obscure the company it came the more likely it over cools, since they most likely didn't have the budget to do rd on their heads.

also Andy if you think thats rough wait until you get here for the cactus and see what happens to you elec. motors, and its not even really hot yet then. but the two years it has actually been cool and last year rainy. we lost the mains last year due to rain. and the way the weather is now it may rain again this year.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:13 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Aftermarket heads are scary. Just because the engine is running at a cooler temperature, doesn't mean the engine isn't getting destroyed. You can put a 15 fin head on an engine, lean the death out of it, and have it only run at 170 degrees, but the engine will be so lean that it's starving for fuel...and therefore, not getting any oil.

With that said, there are definitely cases where .21 racing engines benefit from different heads.

.12 engines, with the exception of the original CV, usually don't need them. The bling factor exists, but sometimes a head might cool the engine too much, causing the engine to richen up in slower sections of the track when the engine is not being worked very hard. That can make the engine hard to tune for consistent performance around the track.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:02 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtracer1
gubbs......that might be a true statement in coon rapids mn, however, in the heat and humidity of florida, extra cooling is usually needed. we race in 95 degree heat with 90 to 100 %RH. that's cookin'.....not only for the motor, but for me too.
That might be slightly true. But we do have our fair share of hot humid days. Just maybe skewed slightly cooler to 85F with 90% humidity. But this still brings up my point of running temp vs. suficient oil. As long as an engine has suficient oil, temp does not make a huge impact on performance or longevity. I've temped airplane motors consistently at almost 400 degrees F!!! And those motors still last nearly forever. A buddy of mine had an OFNA/Picco 8 port that would only run 325+. That one lasted nearly two full seasons.

My point is, barring any horribly small cooling heads, tune the engine to good, slightly rich, performance. Then temp it. Use that temp as a checkpoint to make sure you don't develop any problems.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:57 PM   #11
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

most aftermarket heads are skyscrapers. why add weight up high, and increase an already high cg. i say, leave the original head, or go with a heatsink that is lighter (ie the OS magnesium head)
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:09 AM   #12
Tech Elite

I think I should have made myself more clear, haha. Im not looking for a 54 fin chrome head, but a performance orinted head that I can actually use. Im a serious racer and have seen Tebo, etc use them. I guess I'll just stick with the stocker until OS releases something....or an Odonnell Miracle. I appreciate the imput guys!