R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-03-2007, 10:28 AM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Black

Well we are all real people on here!!! LOL But as with anything this is a commitment. I think once your dad sees how much fun and what a wholesome activity this is then I think he will be more then happy to help. Also an even brighter note to getting an r/c car is that the more time you spend on this the less time you will have to got out and get in trouble and do things that you shouldn't do. Because idle hands are the hands of mischief! Hope this helps!
Old 02-03-2007, 10:29 AM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Dude were real people ,, what are we suppose to be computer generated helping aids..put your dad on !!!
GPM BLUE ALUMINUM A-ARM SET U/L
ACNCM ENORMOUS COOLING HEAD
INTEGY SWAY BAR KIT
VANTAGE HX5 TIRES

Micro baja
Micro raminator

ALUMINUM PIVOT BLOCKS
FULLY ADJUSTABLE C/C/S
LOWGEARED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:05 AM   #18
Tech Regular

Ya, i started when i was 9 years old and worked my way up the chain. It maybe a lot of money BUT THIS IS SOO MUCH FUN. I am currently racing Nitro Stadium, and i want to get into r/c electric again, so i can race at S & N's Trackside....thats the spot in Wisconsin for indo racing all year round.
Off-brand fluorescent orange rims
Toyota AE86 body (white w/sharpie marker)
TEXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:12 AM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCn00bHelpMe
Yeah, my parents also think that the people on this fourm aren't "real people" and they need to talk to someone at a hobby shop before i buy one.
We ALL told you to talk to the hobby shop before buying one. YOu should check your vehicle out often.
My racing buddies and I: tighten screws after every running ; complete tear down after each major race, or weekend of heavy running.
You are going to be working on it alot, but it isn't tedious. A good set of allen drivers is worth its weight in gold. I had my son (14) tear his T4 apart and put it back together 3 times one night just so he owuld learn his truck, nowhe can fix it whenever he breaks a part. I don't let the girls (9, 5) work on the cars, but they can drive and enjoy watching the trucks get worked on.
ROd
gatermaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:21 AM   #20
Tech Apprentice

okay thanks for the help.
RCn00bHelpMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:04 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to streetracer745

ok first off, someone who is 14 can do this easy. im only 15 and have built 7 buggy/truck/cars. built my first buggy by myself when i was 8. its not "hard" it just takes time to learn. i recently built a tamiya dark impact. it was an easy build. get a AE RC10T4 or B4 factory team. build it up and put some good electronics into it. or a dark impact. mine is great. easy to "work" on and maintain. its a good little buggy. but replace the motor right off, it isnt a good motor.

SMOKE TIRES, NOT DRUGS

46.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot and have no real value or truth.
streetracer745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:11 PM   #22

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think it depends a lot on your willingness to learn and your motivation. You sound young, so what would you rather spend your time on? Working, cleaning and tinkering with your R/C car, or playing video games? If gaming or your friends hold your interest you might not have the "time" to fix your car when it breaks or to do the maintenance.

During the summer when I am real active I easily put a hour or two a night into wrenching on my stuff. But my cars are always tight, detailed and ready to race.

I have been doing this since I was 8 years old. When I was that young did I know how to work on my cars? No. But I was motivated enough to figure it out and while I made a lot of mistakes, I also learned a lot. When I was a kid, from say 10-14 all I did was hang out in my room wrenching on my stuff. Playing with, breaking, then fixing my cars. It is expensive.

Nobody can start out knowing how to do stuff, you've gotta learn. You learn by asking us make believe people on forums, and the real people in hobby shops, and read some magazines (start buying XRC) read every article you can on rc411.com.

Your dad will have to help you, he will have to teach you how to use tools if he himself even knows, and if he's not willing to do so he should get kicked in the nuts...thats my opinion anyway.

I would not start out with a nitro if I were you. I'd suggest buying something like a Traxxas Rustler or Stampede, electric. They are fun, they are less expensive, and some of the parent worry factors are missing like the noise (you can't bug the neighbors as easily) and your less likely to burn the house down without nitro fuel. Plus if you can't figure out the engine yet you don't need to pay the hobby shop to fix or tune it.
Desolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:50 PM   #23
Tech Elite

a rustler is a good beginner truck. we just recently got my little bro one. its the older model but still great. traxxas are real reliable. you wont break it much if any. ive had a nitro pede for 4 years now and dont think ive broken anything other then a few drive shafts.

SMOKE TIRES, NOT DRUGS

46.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot and have no real value or truth.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:38 PM   #24
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to $rusty$ Send a message via MSN to $rusty$

I'm 14, and am the only one in my family that is into R/C. It really isn't that hard, but the buggy you want wouldn't be the best idea for a 1st timer.

thercbarn.com
$rusty$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 02:54 PM   #25
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Get a new dad.
LSUsportsfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 02:57 PM   #26
Tech Elite

well its pretty obvious you want somethign 4wd right? and it seems like you want a buggy. pick up a tamiya dark impact, MRC Academy, losi XX+G. something of that sort. electric will eb better for a first timer. plus over time you can put a brushless on it and it will be as fast as a nitro buggy.

SMOKE TIRES, NOT DRUGS

Old 02-03-2007, 03:05 PM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to eds24 Send a message via Yahoo to eds24

I am also 14 and I started when I was 11 or 12. I am the only one in the family who is into R/C. My parents don't really support it and I have a hard time getting them to take me to the LHS or track (ofcourse you know there willing to take me to soccer practice 3 times aweek plus agame. Told them I would take R/C over soccer anyday and they still won't give me rides even if I where to give up soccer) anyway they hate it becuase of how much money I have spent. That has been my biggest challenge. To get a car and keep it running and haveing enough money to fix it. So me the hardest part is getting parts. Obviously your dad doesn't support this hobby. So I am guessing he probaly won't be willing to drive you to the LHS ? he problay won't be willign to buy parts online ?sothats just something to consider. I would also say that if your commited to this hobby then your dad will seee that and he will be more supportive. Becuase he sees that its not something you get and then break adn then throw away. Peace Ethan
eds24 is offline   Reply With Quote