R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-01-2007, 07:40 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Exclamation 1/10 Brushless Wars - Max vs. Sphere vs. Novak vs. Tekin ?

Okay Folks, here I am reading all these threads on all these motors and controllers and I wonder which is the 'real' deal and the best way to jump off the 'brushed' bandwagon ?

$250 Mamba Max Mamba Max 7700 Pkg

$440 LRP Sphere Competition & Vector X-11 5.5 turns, Speed Control/Brushless Motor Combo

$Unknown Team Tekin R1 & Redline Motor ???

$120 Team Trinity NEO Motors

$270 Team Novak 3000 GTB/Velociti 3.5 Racing Brushless System

These are 'MSRP' pricing, so I know I can (or you can) get it cheaper *BUT* I wonder which one will hold up the best for Offroad 1/10 Buggy and Truck ?

I'm leaning towards the 'Max' because of Castle's reputation and their 1/18 experience and software.

Novak's the 'oldest' system but it's been 'constantly' going through updates and I wonder if it's really 'ready' now ?

Was a 'fan' of Tekin back in the day, but their constant 'delays' are troublesome.

I've seen 'several' older neo motors LRP sphere's have 'touring' car troubles but apparently their *NEW* x.11 motors are supposed to be better but I find pricing is very expensive compared to the others.

As for buying the 'Trinity' motor vs. other motors... I have no idea 'why' I would, do you ?

Now I left off the 'exotic' choices that exist outside of these 'mainstream CAR brushless' systems because I like to stick to companies I know and recognize.

Suggestions ? Comments ? Flames ? Manufactures Rep's Speaking up ? Anyone ?
Hyper 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:59 PM   #2
Tech Initiate

I raced the entire season last year with Novaks GTB/Velocity system in my MF2. Great system, Novaks' ads stating "wicked fast" are dead on. It helped me win the 1/10 Mod Truck series. Opt for the 7.5 in buggy and truck. 6.5 for Truck if the track is hooked up.
LClarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 12:44 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

I'm running the Mamba 5700 in my Mf2 and love it. Sure it's not the fastest, it's probably not the smallest, but being able to run 3s or 12 cells is just friggin awesome. It's got infinite adjustments via the USB and updates are easily available online. And at $250 ( retail is more like $225) , which is the cheapest of all the sytems, how can you go wrong? Castle also has a thread on rccaraction.com and answer questions daily.

I will never run orange or blue again nor will I ever use nimh batteries again.

If your going to jump off the bandwagon, you might as well start on a different trail too.
K.Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 08:13 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I've had both the Mamba Max, and the original Sphere Comp, and performance wise they were virtually the same, except the mamba has reverse which is nice for practice days, and it costs less, and is easy it program via the USB link, my pick is the Mamba, I dont have any experience with the Novak system thgouh,
bobf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 08:14 AM   #5
Tech Master

The Sphere and Vector motor is not 440. Its more like 260ish.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:44 AM   #6
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

Can someone post the dimensions of the ESCs for the various companies?

If I do electric again, i will probably pickup a brushless setup. I have been a fan of tekin, but haven't heard if they are out yet. The GTB right now interests me, but the mamba is intriguing. Since this will probably go into either a 4wd buggy or 2wd stadium truck, size may be an issue.

By the way, can the mamba do brushed motors?
Old 02-02-2007, 10:52 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

yes the mamba can do brushed, it has two programs built in for them, I've got my mamba in a Bj4, and it fits fine with the micro spektrum RX, and I've also seen them in the XXX4 and it fit good too, they are bigger than the GTB, but should still fit in most cars,

the only thing I like about the novak and LRp ones is the solder tabs on the motor, the mamba just has the wires coming out of the can, so it makes it harder to shorten the wires if need be,

also if you will be running it in any kind of ROAR race, the mambas arn't legal, but for where I run, no ones follows those rules, open means open,
bobf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 12:03 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

wow, those prices are inaccurate

your logic about Novak is flawed...with that logic about updates you'd have to ban all RC companies for releasing new vehicles every year, kyosho would be the worst offender since they may release the SP9 by the time I finish typing this.

The novak SS5800 worked fine. The GTB is even better.

Unless your bashing, the option to run more than 6 cells likely wont make a difference because I can imagine a track allowing you to run a 3S lipo in a significant event.

Ive owned a couple mambas in 1/18 and they were crap. Maybe they got it right in the max.

and lastly, being fastest isnt always the best thing. Im racing touring car during the winter on carpet. the 1/10 class is pretty much an open class to run whatever motor you want. Last week, a regular was their running his Mamba 7700 and just amazed at the speed of it...I watched it a little but didnt get to see too much since he was in the B and I finished 2nd in the Amain with a 13.5 Novak...
mach51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 12:18 PM   #9
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

Thanks for the info. The mambas price right now on tower with that $30 discount is pretty good. I am alittle confused by the ratings on there motors. How does those match up to the Novak 5.5, 6.5, 7.5 rating numbers? Can the mamba run a novak motor or only certain motors?

I also heard its can on the motor is too big or something like that compared to the novak setups.

Finally, I heard about a newer style rotor for the novaks, is this something on the mambas?
Old 02-02-2007, 12:46 PM   #10
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian Searles

As for Tekin "delays"..some things just can't be helped. They wanted to have them out the door by now but ran into some delays with suppliers, and it just didn't happen. However, I do know they are very close, and you will see them in stores in not too long. I still say it is better to have a delay in release date then to release a product that doesn't live up to people's expectations. Better to have the "bugs" worked out first!
Old 02-02-2007, 01:22 PM   #11
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to Chris Peterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain
How does those match up to the Novak 5.5, 6.5, 7.5 rating numbers? Can the mamba run a novak motor or only certain motors?

I also heard its can on the motor is too big or something like that compared to the novak setups.

Finally, I heard about a newer style rotor for the novaks, is this something on the mambas?
The Castle motors compare something like this:
4600 is like a 8.5
5700 is a little more than a 7.5, but not quite a 6.5
6900 is between a 5.5 and 4.5
and 7700 is like a 3.5

The "motor can too big" problem is the screws that are used to hold the motor together, as they stick the side of the can.

The newer style rotor on the novaks and the rotors on the mamba motors are similar. both are sintered, but the novak rotor has a nickle coating which helps with durability (not that I have had any issues with my mamba motor).

For racing my 4wd buggy (academy SBV2), I have gone with LRP speed control hooked up to a novak motor with the new sintered rotor.
Chris Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 02:50 PM   #12
Key
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've raced with both a MambaMAX and GTB both on and off-road.

They both feel pretty smooth, however, the MM has much much much more torque when comparing them with the same number of cell config. It has a more violent POWER to it. Especially when using 3s hi-voltage lithium packs. This type of configuration lays a grin on your face and shocks others when it outruns all the high nitros let alone my own gtb.

The mamba is smooth and has plenty of software options to pick from.
The brakes settings work great... you can get in and change exactly how much brake and drag brake you want and get out.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:02 PM   #13
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to Chris Wolfson Send a message via Yahoo to Chris Wolfson

I've heard nothing but awesome things about the Tekin system. It might be worth your wait.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:12 PM   #14
Team Tekin

Just wait. I've said it before and I'll say it again...patience. The Tekin is oh so small, tons of power, easy to control, programming is simple. I've driven it, it's worth the wait.
Randy Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 06:31 AM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I run a Novak SS+ and the 13.5 "stock" motor on a small indoor carpet track (winter racing). I wish there were more "stock" equivalent brushless motors (the track I race at allows the 13.5 to be used in the stock class).
So far I like the Tekin because of the size; the SS+ is rather large, as is the GTB.
slakr is offline   Reply With Quote