R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-01-2007, 12:10 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default AE GT2 RTR vs FT GT2 Kit

i'm really interested in getting the RTR GT2 until now I realize that it's a pull start. my LHS adviced me to look into the Traxxas trucks with the easy start thing that the Tmaxx has, but maybe it's because it will be my first rc??

are pull starts bad? or is the GT2 RTR as capable as the FT kit after modifications??

anyone have video of the RTR GT2?? i found vids on youtube, but idk if they're the RTR or the Kit..
silentdonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 12:14 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default GT2 RS very good

I have a GT2 RS and it's a very competent race truck. The stock radio gear is ok being that it's durable, but I found the throttle/brake servo too slow for my liking.

the stock x.15 engine is a reliable, easy to start engine...but it's likely to set any track records. I was able to be competitive with the stock engine, but I have a very low horsepower track. remove the carb restrictor after break in and retune .
MRX4-X F180 Cobra Zipper Kart Yokomo BD Cup Racer FM1e Recoil M18 Pro Scalpel dNaNo Baja 5T HB D8 Vorza ERevo Savage Flux SCX10 GT2 T4 Slash Ten SCTE Blitz ESE HB Cyclone D4 Mini ERevo Vendetta ST Mini T Micro T
TC_Tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:44 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

You can convert the pull start to a bump start pretty easily. Starter boxes range from $50 to $100. The RTR is a great way to jump in, it just doesn't have all the hop ups and add ons that the ft does. My the time you get a ft and set it up with all of the engine, servos and receiver, you'll be allmost double a RTR cost. But at the same time you will also get better performance. I would say get the RTR and upgrade as you can afford. That is the best bang for the buck. I will also add that my ft gt2 is super dialed. Highly recommended.

Serpent America
Lunsford Racing
RCBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 12:03 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

once you go starter box you will NEVER go back.
mach51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 04:43 PM   #5
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach51
once you go starter box you will NEVER go back.

Get the GT2, you don't want a Traxxas.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:53 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (79%+)

go with the GT2 then up grade as you go. traxxas is not going to be a race car there more for bashing. as for the pull start just don't yank it to far like 12 inchs. if you wanted to you could buy a starter box and start it with it and have the pull start still there I did this when I got my first GT till I finally upgraded to a new motor that was setup for bump start. also with you being new a 2wd truck will be good for you to learn how to drive a rc.
wd40prerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 03:18 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wd40prerunner
if you wanted to you could buy a starter box and start it with it and have the pull start still there .

exactly.......you don't need to take off the pull starter in order to use a starter box. people take off the pull starter in order to reduce weight.
Losi XXX-MF2/CRC SC
B&T R/C - http://b-treman-rc.valp.net/btrchome.htm
dirtracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 03:46 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentdonut
i'm really interested in getting the RTR GT2 until now I realize that it's a pull start. my LHS adviced me to look into the Traxxas trucks with the easy start thing that the Tmaxx has, but maybe it's because it will be my first rc??

are pull starts bad?
pull starts arn't bad.....they just add un-needed weight.

most likely, you're hobby shop has tried to steer you in that direction because they have seen more than their fair share of noobs that don't take the advice that they've been given and want to buy something that's beyond they're skill level for a biginner r/c'er and have had waaaay too many of them walk back into the hobby shop demanding that the hobby shop repair a broken pull starter cord.

a 2 wheel drive 1/10th scale race ready nitro truck is usually a bit much for a newbie. i've seen several noobs buy the xxx-nt rtr thinking that they could handle it (albiet, against the buying advice that's they'd been given) only to give up and quit the hobby out of frustration after jumping in over their skill level and driving abilities.

but if you really have your heart set on buying one, then you'd be best served by buying a starter box for it from the get go.

the gt2 in either form is a nice and very capable truck, and the gt2 rtr is a good truck to start out with.

good luck noob.
Losi XXX-MF2/CRC SC
B&T R/C - http://b-treman-rc.valp.net/btrchome.htm

Last edited by dirtracer1; 02-04-2007 at 04:03 PM.
dirtracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 03:59 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Start with the GT2 RTR first. That way if you decide the sport isn't for you, you'll only be out say $100. ($280 for truck and sell for $180.)

The GT2 kit will have to be built, plus tools, plus starter box, etc.

I promise you will have more fun with the RTR than FT. Trust me, going gung-ho for what the hobby considers 'better' has cost a small fortune. From R40s, MTX3s, to RRRs. I forgot what this hobby was about...fun. Now I'm selling everything to keep things basic.

I say RTR.
performula is offline   Reply With Quote