R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-01-2007, 06:19 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I for one don't buy the "support your LHS/track" deal. In my estimation, it's a two-way street...no amount of "donating" an extra 20-40% is going to keep a shop open if they gouge everybody...if the local places have good (read "competitive" prices, then I'll buy there.

I get tired of hearing Hobbytown whine about Ultimate having an unfair advantage...only to have Steve at Speedtech kick both of their asses with a smile on his face. What advantage does he have? Hobbytown has started dropping their prices on some stuff down towards Ultimate or Speedtech, but only when they hear that everyone has started buying stuff down the road or online.

Screw your customers and you won't have them around to screw for long. You don't need to always have the lowest prices, but you need to be in the "ballpark" and do it with a smile, not an attitude (cough...cough..Ultimate...cough...cough). We spend enough money on this hobby to expect to be treated with respect and not played for a chump.

BTW -- Carolina's RC is pretty good, too...as well as Tower (if you play their coupon game right... ) Can you say "$180 mamba Max"? Speedtech rocks, though.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:34 PM   #17
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by LClarke
My LHS is called UPS or FEDEX. I don't buy into the argument that I should pay higher prices just so the local hobby shop can stay in business. I have yet to hear a compelling reason for doing this.
Where is UPS or FEDEX's racetrack at ?
chrlie sidebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:36 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

nice to here you let it rip like that I totally agree.. Cant we all get a fair price!
GPM BLUE ALUMINUM A-ARM SET U/L
ACNCM ENORMOUS COOLING HEAD
INTEGY SWAY BAR KIT
VANTAGE HX5 TIRES

Micro baja
Micro raminator

ALUMINUM PIVOT BLOCKS
FULLY ADJUSTABLE C/C/S
LOWGEARED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:33 PM   #19
Company Representative

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

The UPS track is right next to the Tower Hobby track....
Tres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:55 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Ohhh...I see...you have to pay 20-40% more for them to have a track. It's like a track subsidy, right?

If the local track sells stuff at a decent price (ours does, better than HTUSA... ), I buy from them. Otherwise, I buy elsewhere. If they charged the right amount for track fees, they wouldn't need to gouge their customers just to pay the rent.

I've done retail. If you're fair with your prices...nobody is asking people to give stuff away for free...then you get MORE business and make MORE money, not less.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:01 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

I to live near Speedtech and Ultimate. I do feel very lucky to have Steve's place as my 'local' store.

As stated earlier in this thread I have no problem supporting my local hobby shop when the prices are "in the Ballpark" and I can get service. The mail order places can't give the same level/type of service that a LHS can. Unfortunatly many LHS workers (owners?) seem not to service the customer and charge 25% or more over an On-Line source. I have lived in smaller areas of California and the hobby shops in those smaller towns have had the attitude that they are doing you a favor to be there and sell you their special of the week (at much higher prices than on-line).

From what I have seen owning and operating a local hobby shop and or track is a gruelling task that can become "not fun anymore". I think once this happens the attitude of the store/track changes dramatically and the customers become an inconveinence.

As far as the 'support the store and the track or the track won't be there anymore' attitude. I've known of tracks that have existed for years with no hobbyshop on site (parking lot series, Camarillo/roadrunner, etc) and tracks with great shops that dry up (MnM, the Ranch, Sheldons, etc).

I think the gripeing about practice fees and race fees (what else can one do for 10-15 bucks for the whole day) impact the track's ability to survive more than if a racer paid an extra $2 for a set of tires from the hobby shop that is on site.
TimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:33 PM   #22
Tech Initiate

Chrlie Sidebite,
There are four Hobby Shops in the local area. Not one of them operate or support the two tracks we have. I can go to a track and pay $15 per class with no Hobby Shop or I can go to a track and pay $15 per class with a Hobby Shop. If your local hobby shop is holding the track hostage to get your business then the racing should be free and include pit snacks and refreshments. The old "Support your local Hobby shop or it will go away" is nothing more than an effort to hold your passion/hobby hostage to justify non-competitive pricing and poor selection. Your argument for supporting the local hobby shop may have held some validity 10 or 15 years ago but people are opting for lower prices and opening their own tracks.
LClarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 11:04 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Amen brothers...

The tracks should charge a reasonable fee...10-20 is fine if it's a decent place...and charge reasonable prices in the shop. If they did, they'd get plenty of business.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:15 PM   #24
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to J C F D

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentdonut
And naturally they were trying to sell me the most expensive one, a $479 Tmaxx 3.3.

I walked in there thinking I'd be able to get a Traxx or Associated Nitro RTR for less than $300.

WHoooooops.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWGEARED
Under 300.00 RTR great buy Badass truck!
Log on to ultimatehobbies under 1/10 offrad nitro RTR ..... See the Losi xxx nt RTR $299.95 Frreeee Shhiiipppiinngg!!!!!!
Silly me I thought he wanted a 4x4 RTR nitro . . .

Originally posted by shawn17 :

"All the real woman died in my generation

And my neighborhood ain't gay!"
J C F D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 05:15 AM   #25
Tech Master

In that case if he does ,,,,, its only 1/10 but cen magnum nx or the premier 4 are 4x4 s
INTEGY SWAY BAR KIT
VANTAGE HX5 TIRES

Micro baja
Micro raminator

ALUMINUM PIVOT BLOCKS
FULLY ADJUSTABLE C/C/S
Old 02-02-2007, 04:39 PM   #26
vr6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

well i can tell you from experience that my lhs sold me my losi 8ight for $510. the best price i got online was 495.99 and that was from bmainhobbies.com, so i bought the car with tax for 538.27, and i got it next day

Also my local track Race em r/c. Rockford Illinois
vr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 04:59 PM   #27
Tech Addict

I operate a race track with an onsite shop. I don't hold any body hostage. I'm not sure what you even mean by that.
What I do is work 60 hours a week to provide a place that 10 or 15 years ago I wished had existed in my community.
As for pricing, I am reasonable. I make it a policy to at least meet anybody's price. Within reason. The printed price on a pair of B4 rear a-arms is $7. If you buy them at Tower Hobbies they are like $6.45. Do you think I should match that price? I could, considering that my margin on that item is close to 50%.
Also consider that my distributor not only provides those parts to Tower but actually IS Tower.
As for service, I am as helpful as they come. I will go out of my way to help a newbie. I usually don't get my own gear together because I've 'loaned out' all my servo tape and super glue.
If you choose to buy all your stuff online or at the neighborhood Hobbytown (no track), I will greet you at my track as friendly as I do to those that buy all their stuff here. It is after all a free country, and I am in the business of customer service.
mfishel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 05:01 PM   #28
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfishel
I operate a race track with an onsite shop. I don't hold any body hostage. I'm not sure what you even mean by that.
What I do is work 60 hours a week to provide a place that 10 or 15 years ago I wished had existed in my community.
As for pricing, I am reasonable. I make it a policy to at least meet anybody's price. Within reason. The printed price on a pair of B4 rear a-arms is $7. If you buy them at Tower Hobbies they are like $6.45. Do you think I should match that price? I could, considering that my margin on that item is close to 50%.
Also consider that my distributor not only provides those parts to Tower but actually IS Tower.
As for service, I am as helpful as they come. I will go out of my way to help a newbie. I usually don't get my own gear together because I've 'loaned out' all my servo tape and super glue.
If you choose to buy all your stuff online or at the neighborhood Hobbytown (no track), I will greet you at my track as friendly as I do to those that buy all their stuff here. It is after all a free country, and I am in the business of customer service.

Probably not you ,,,, but can u agree that there are some gougers out there that take advantage of the athority they have and boost prices ,,, just a little too high?
INTEGY SWAY BAR KIT
VANTAGE HX5 TIRES

Micro baja
Micro raminator

ALUMINUM PIVOT BLOCKS
FULLY ADJUSTABLE C/C/S
Old 02-02-2007, 05:07 PM   #29
Tech Master

Whos gonna buy a RTR at true retail value knowing its been on the market for a minute?

Example: msrp of losi xxx nt 400.00 or close
my lhs tried to sell it to me at that price
You are probably a good guy and theyre are great guys out there ... But there are also profit hogs.
INTEGY SWAY BAR KIT
VANTAGE HX5 TIRES

Micro baja
Micro raminator

ALUMINUM PIVOT BLOCKS
FULLY ADJUSTABLE C/C/S
Old 02-02-2007, 06:32 PM   #30
Tech Addict

Absolutely there are gougers out there. I believe that is the true value of the internet. It can arm you with information. Sometimes it is not greed by the retailers but ignorance. A shop that sells kites at 50% mark up may not realize that the same rate on a car kit is unreasonable. Add to that the fact that the manufacturer actually suggests (MSRP) such a price.
Then customer walks in and says that's ridiculous, give it to me cheaper. Shop keeper thinks customer is out of line and cheap. Now we have hostility on both sides.
Back in the mid 90's when I was still racing competitively, a friend of mine was a student at Ball State in Muncie. There was a hobby store in the neighborhood that had a brand new in box, Associated RC10 gold chassis car. At that time it was already 7 or 8 years old. It was priced at full retail. For all I know it's still there. I should go buy it.
mfishel is offline   Reply With Quote