R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-29-2007, 06:43 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default LRP .28R Spec 3 Non-Pull Start

Any one have any experience with this engine?

Don't need anecdotal stories just info from an actual user. Thank you.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 06:52 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 147 (100%+)

Whacha need to know i have used and still using spec 2 and spec 3 truggy ed........
nobike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 06:55 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Cool.

Like how reliable is it, what's the power delivery like, what's a good pipe, fuel consumption, etc.

Thanks for any info.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:08 PM   #4
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee
Cool.

Like how reliable is it, what's the power delivery like, what's a good pipe, fuel consumption, etc.
Reliablity A+A+A+A+ i have been using jp-2 pipe on it, fuel consumpution seems average i have been using the smallest inserts though 7.5 i have only been racing with it, the power delivery is kinda of like a .21 motor, when compared to a 528 nov, which is one of the fastest and most brutal motor ever made, in my jammin crt on a small track the 528 was useless to race just blows the tires off, and that was with a 15t clutch bell on a tight track, and the spec 3 is like a super fast .21 motor and 1/4 of the price, the spec 3 didnt like the 14t clutch bell on the same tight track, but with a 13t just like using .21 motor it has alot of tourque to clear anything and seems like it has the same top end as a .21, so a long story short use a 13t clutch bell with a spec 3 and has alot of topend power to pull you through a long straight away on a large track, so there use a spec 3 and stock up on 13t clutch bells and you will be set for small or large track, sorry for the long post.................
Old 01-29-2007, 07:13 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Don't be sorry, you've answered my questions most eloquently.

One last question: What kind of clutch do you use, 3 shoe aluminum or carbon. I'm using a 13T CB and a JP-2 pipe.

I plan to get one for my Kyosho truggy, currently I'm using my buggy's V-Spec and have no problems with power there. But I want to race both and I didn't feel like spending $300 or more.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:20 PM   #6
Tech Champion

i do not like aluminum shoes,clutch bearings go out faster, just gets evertihng to hot, and i have yet to have any carbon shoes slip ever, i run carbon in all my buggies and truggies, when i had my losi 8 i even ran the 4 carbons, istead of the stock 2 alum, and 2 carbons, but i use the fiorni turbo sliding clutch it is pricey but i have over 3-5 gallons on one fiorni clutch set up and still looks like it wants a couple of more gallons, in my opionion the only maintence free clutch ever made..............................
Old 01-29-2007, 07:26 PM   #7
Tech Elite

OK, I know a few others who swear by the Fiorini.

I use the Mugen black carbon shoes with 1.0 springs and have had excellent results with that combo on most tracks. What I like is that I can use the different springs to tune for different tracks like a light (.9) spring for a very loose track to a 1.1 spring for a very high grip track. Again it all depends on the engine too.
Old 02-17-2007, 02:27 PM   #8
Tech Elite

OK, I bought it, broke it in and just started to tune it. WOW!!!

This was the easiest engine I ever had to break in, factory setting was just a bit too rich on the HSN which was fixed by a quarter turn and an eighth of a turn on the LSN. Idle was spot on. Ran LRP's suggested run-in procedure and not a problem. This thing has power.

First tank after run-in and all I can say is YIPPEEE! KAI! YAY!. And it gets just about 11 minutes on a 150cc tank using the 9.0mm venturi insert.