R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-03-2007, 06:22 PM   #16
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've run a Losi XXXT MF1 with a 2s Orion 3200 pack. I've noted that the lighter weight and higher voltage vs a standard 6cell nimh pack gives the car acceleration and speed similar to what you would get with a high quality 8cell nimh pack (I've run it with elite 3600 cells), however I do get more traction and better cornering with the 8cells due to the extra weight... I've also tried it with a 3S LiMn Apogee pack and then its ballistic... too light for the amount of power... so I'd say that anything with Lipo 3s or higher is good for 4wd only... the MF1 is using a Mamba max 5700 by the way, cheers
Rufus2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 01:25 PM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain
In particular I want to know the following:

1. Lipo brand you are using and why

2. Amount of runtime you are getting

3. Brushless setup you are using

4. Charging method and storage you are using (safety measures, etc).

5. The chassis you find works best

Please post as much info as you have.
MaxAmps 6000 - price, and very close in size and to a Sub C 6 cell pack and not so light that I have to add a ton of weight

30+ min of runtime with 4300 novak.. I did this in an on-road enduro otherwise I can make a full race day on one charge (3 5-6 min runs)

Novak SS+, w/ 13.5 or 4300. Perhaps soon a 5800.

Charge with an ICE.. no special safety measures other than charging on correct settings and balancing.

Fits great in my XXX-T MF2 and Traxxas Rustler with no mods.

I'm glad I found this thread because I have a similar question. I'd like to do a 1/8 conversion in the somewhat near future so is there I brushless mod setup I can get to use in mod 2WD truck that I can use for the 1/8 scale later. For instance I've been thinking about the BK9920 controller. Can I get a motor that would work for my 2WD and then get a different motor for the Truggy conversion? And along with that something I can use my current 2S2P lipo with for the truck and then get a 4S setup for the truggy?

Tamiya TRF417X (Lion's Automotive GTR)
Tamiya TRF416X
Tamiya F104W MP6/4 converted to F104X1 (Renault R30)
padailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 02:12 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

CC 5700 system
astro flight 109- it charges them faster then the ice.
truerc.com 8k mah 10c 7.4 volt lipo-$75 pack
losi mf1 w/ a few mods.-It is the most durable chasis I have found thus far
I get a little over 30 minutes.
I don't realy taken any safety measures, just don't leave it sitting on a pile of gasoline tanks or something.

I am considering trying out the a123 cells. The mf1/mf2 use the same geometries as the ad1/ad2 and can be set up the same way w/ a slightly heavier pack. The cells can be charged much faster and a 6900 mah pack will make a 20 minute main easily. I will prolby also switch to a novak system because they are better suited for the slight dip in voltage. The CC system realy need a minimum of lipo voltage to run well. I can charge a 6.9k mah pack in under 45 minutes from dead empty. They don't require the slower peaking that lipos require so they will charge much faster. If you have the budget for it you can pick up three sonic chargers and three of the 2300s and charge your 6900 mah pack in under 15 minutes. However, I don't have a need for that so I am going to go with a setup that will charge a 4600 in 30 minutes and then run it in parralel w/ the 2300 for the longer mains.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 07:14 PM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

party_wagon- How do you like the TrueRC 8K Li-Po? I was thinking about getting one. The price is great... but you know the saying (you get what you pay for, lol). Do you have any other 8K Li-Po's to compare it to. I have a Thunder Power 8K Li-Po and like it, but the price is high. How does the TrueRC 8K pack fit in your MF1? It's size is narrower, longer, and not as tall as the thunder power li-po. Can you use your stock battery hold down or do you have a custom battery hold dow? Thanks.
Team Associated
Doug T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:18 PM   #20
Tech Elite

it's kind of hard to say how it truly fits in the battery slot since i've already chopped it up for my last pack. I believe the site should have dimensions you can compare it with though. The reason it is cheaper is because it only has a 10c rating. The c rating of a pack determines how much current can run through the pack. For every C you multiply that times the mah divided by 1000 to determine the constant current you can run. The packs can handle bursts at like 30c. For these aplications the packs work great. I haven't had my pack long enough to get a good judgement on it, but so far so good. As far as exploding lipos those videos were made by connecting the cells directly to a car battery, that will make a lot of things explode. Just don't store them in a flamable area, they aren't a stick of tnt though like people play them out to be.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:30 PM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

party- Thanks. I am probably going to get one. I did look at the dimensions on the TrueRC site. I also ground down the sides of my battery box too, to fit the Thunder Power Li-Po in so it isn't so tight. I was looking at the C rating and I know it is real close to the TP li-po (TP 12C- 96A with a burst of 18C and 144 A). I have been running Li-Po's for almost 3 years now here in the Carolina's in our Li-Po class called "Pro Truck" and we run 20 minute mains . I have yet to see a Li-Po explode (knock on wood), but I have seen a few swell up pretty good without bursting into flames. Thanks Party.
Team Associated
Doug T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:44 PM   #22
Tech Elite

The only reason I'm looking in to the a123 cells is because they are better suited for people who i'm trying to get in to the hobby and have a zero risk factor.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:09 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Has anyone used the Venom Power LiPo Balancing Charger
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...2&I=LXMYR6&P=K
Drift_Buggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 08:08 AM   #24
Tech Elite

If your not going w/ a 8k mah pack and the astro flight charger w/ a balancer then I would just go with the a123 cells and sonic charger. Even if you settle on like a 4k mah pack you will still end up spending around the same amount and get a battery that takes 2 hours to charge instead of 30 minutes.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:18 AM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift_Buggy
Has anyone used the Venom Power LiPo Balancing Charger
I haven't but what are your needs for a charger? That charger may balance charge but a 1500mah battery is going to take you an hour or more to charge. Balance charging is nice but in about 8 months my 6000 lipo has never been out of balance. I'm not saying don't balance your cells, I'm just stating that it isn't a feature I would spend a lot of money to have included with the charger. You can get a separate balancer fairly cheap. In fact I am only a 1/4 owner of my balancer... 4 of us went together on one. You won't need it every time you charge.

Tamiya TRF417X (Lion's Automotive GTR)
Tamiya TRF416X
Tamiya F104W MP6/4 converted to F104X1 (Renault R30)
padailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 10:06 AM   #26
Tech Elite

I just like the astro flight because it's the fastest. It will charge at an 8 amp current and it does the final peaking stage the fastest from what I have used. You can pick up a balancer for like $20. The lipo chargers will charge them to like 90% at that high amp rate and then slow way down the rest of the charge. The astro slows down the least and always does a great job charging them. Basicly the charger will pulse charge and then it will check the voltage between pulses. I guess the astro is just programmed better.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:46 AM   #27
Tech Master

Great thread guys and it is finnally good I can sit back and let others post the good words about li-pos and brushless in long electric mains!!!!

Good job guys and spread the word!

Getting ready to post race results with pictures from the 2nd ECNS Electric Pro Truck Race at the Farm II Raceway in Charlotte, NC.

Stay tuned!!!

Go here to help out: http://www.americansolutions.com/
Craps is offline   Reply With Quote