R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 05-03-2003, 09:12 AM   #31
Tech Fanatic

i think that it may come with the ofna 8 port engine but i dont know

a kid at my local track has the hyper 7 pbs and its really pretty nice it came with the ofna 8 port which he had modified and he was flying but he has switched to running a rex p5 now he says the stock p5 is faster than the ofna 8 port he had modified but both engines looked fast to me

i think that if you plan on racing you would be best off to get the good stuff the first time though i know i wish i had

there has to be something sacrificed when they make those engines so cheap i dont know what it is but i suspect they wont last really very long

your not planning on ordering from horizon are you if you like overpaying just give me the extra money horizon and towers prices are way too high for me
jason102276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 12:52 AM   #32
Tech Master

Default engine

Hello,

I'am planning to get a new engine for my buggy. Because of so may good engines out there, i'am down to two engines. RB WS7 or the Novarossi P5. Can someone give me some input about this dilema on which one to get and why

Thanks
manokgt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 03:55 AM   #33

Send a message via AIM to DAN_THE_MAN Send a message via Yahoo to DAN_THE_MAN

man get the p5 and youll never go back
DAN_THE_MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 06:39 AM   #34
Tech Fanatic

p5 is incredible

i have the rx21 p5 and it is as fast as most modified engines at my local track
Old 05-09-2003, 09:07 AM   #35
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

I havent read the entire thread, so dont know if this is off-topic or what, but a 1/8 car of any kind is not a good beginners choice. They are extremely advanced and adjustable, and without knowing how to adjust it right, it will run like crap. I suggest something 1/10, electric is the easiest, but some people just must have nitro, just be sure you know someone that can tune it.
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 09:19 AM   #36
Tech Fanatic

i kinda disagree

i know that tuning can be an issue however it doesnt take much to get it in ther ball park

i think the durability of 1/8 buggies makes them good for beginners i know that if i was new to the hobby and my first car was like a ntc3 and it broke all the time that would be far more discouraging than a badly setup car

i first bought a GS storm when they first came out and in rtr trim it still handled good and was alot of fun to drive my problem was it wouldnt stop breaking and that was why i sold it and got the mbx4xr
Old 05-09-2003, 12:16 PM   #37
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by jason102276
p5 is incredible

i have the rx21 p5 and it is as fast as most modified engines at my local track
Jason and Dan,

Thanks guys. for the info. Ordered it already... Should have it by tuesday of next week..

i myself is new in 1/8 buggies. In fact, tomorrow is going to be my first race...very excited. What i have on my XR is the Novarossi Green Head SBKW. It's pretty punchy and good for practice. Guys here in my home track are pretty fast and most of them uses mod engines..so it's hard for me to compete. I think P5 is the answer..

Again thanks guys..
manokgt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 07:19 PM   #38
Tech Prophet

Even when I had been racing for 3 years, I tried a MP5 buggy, and it was too advanced for what I knew, built it like ass, the gear gaps binded, diff's leaked, dogbones would fall out, it was a nightmare. I stick to my statement that they are too advanced for someone just getting into the hobby, 1/8 scale cars are the most adjustable cars out there. I would say a XXXNT RTR, or RC10GT RTR would be a much better choice, plus parts avalibility at most places is much better on a 1/10 than 1/8. Dont get me wrong, 1/8 is my favorite class now, but it took 9 years in the hobby to get me where I am, and know what I know. They are extremely fast, and when you are goin that fast, that curb comes up before you have time to swerve away from it.
Old 05-10-2003, 05:26 AM   #39
Tech Fanatic

i hear what your saying about your poor mp5 but i think now with all the rtrs its a little different now

beginners building kits is usually a pretty bad thing

i am not saying that you did but some of the guys cars i see i really wonder if they threw the manual out the door on the way home from the store

a friend of mine just got a mtx3 in a trade because the guy who had it didnt like it my friend rebuilt a bunch of it fixing little problems but when he took it on the track it drove really badly after a close inspection he realize the guy had put the pulleys on the side belt on backward so the front of the car was way underdriven making a 4wd incredibly hard to drive
Old 05-10-2003, 09:36 AM   #40
Tech Prophet

RTR is nice for that fact, but what happens when something breaks, with no building expirence at that point, a noob would propably not know what to do. When you are dealing with a 4wd platform, it makes everything twice as difficult. My friends just started into the hobby with XXX-NT RTR's and have enough problems as it is, and that's on a 2wd platform. I worked in a hobby store for 2 years about 3 years ago, and have seen everything you could ever think of. I am coming from an expirenced racing and knowledgable background when I say that 1/8 and a new driver dont mix well.
Old 05-14-2003, 07:07 PM   #41

Send a message via AIM to DAN_THE_MAN Send a message via Yahoo to DAN_THE_MAN
Default TEAMLOSI

HEY JASON I WAS THINKING THE OTHER NIGHT IF TEAMLOSI WOULD EVER MAKE A 1/8 SCALE WHAT DO YOU THINK??????????
DAN_THE_MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 02:08 PM   #42
Tech Fanatic

it would probably handle really well

but break way too easily
Old 05-17-2003, 11:58 PM   #43
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Great info so far on 1/8 scale buggy. I'm also thinking about getting into this class of buggies.

Quick question for you guys. Ofna seems to have a lot of 1/8 buggies in their line up of cars. Based on what I have read so far, the 9.5 and the hyper 7 seem to be the choice of buggies from Ofna. Does anyone know what their differences are, and why one would choose one over the other.

Thanks for the info.

BTW: does any know where the KZ track is located, looks fun.

Speedchair
SpeedChair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 08:52 AM   #44
Tech Fanatic

well first go to nitrohouse.com and you can use their info to compare them

it seems to me the 9.5 looks a little beefier and a little more like the kyosho 7.5

the ofna team racers run the 9.5 i think

most of the guys who have ofna buggies around me have a hyper 7 pro or hyper 7 pbs i havent seen a 9.5 in person yet

the hyper 7 seems to be a really nice buggy so the 9.5 must be even nicer

if i was going to get a ofna buggy i would probably get the hyper 7 pbs i like the pivot ball suspension and the pbs comes rtr with starter box for less than $500

right now some of the pbs parts are kinda cheap made from plastic where the pro cars would be aluminum but i think that hop ups will be coming out soon for it

i dont think you can go wrong with any of them i like the 9.5 better than hyper 7 because the hyper 7 comes with purple anodized stuff and the 9.5 has blue anodizing but really that is the best reason i can come up with for picking one over another except price
Old 05-18-2003, 09:06 AM   #45
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Jason there really isnt much of a difference in the hyper 7 and 9.5. After I got the bugs worked out of my 9.5 it handled pretty good, Was keeping up with a mbx xr no problem at my local track. Put all that has changed now I have a kani 2. Was going to pasadeana today but of course you see the weather.