R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-12-2003, 10:44 PM   #136
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Racin Rev
1) what is the best filter system for a .21 engine?

2) what is the best way to keep the blasted thing on? (i am considering hose clamps)
I don't know if it is "best" ... but here is what I use ... I also had an air cleaner come off and swallowed a small amount of dirt before I started using this system.

1. I use a "motorsaver" with the inner foam soaked in "K & N" oil ... and with no outer foam ... in place of the outerfoam, I use 3M "Vetwrap" ... approx 3 layers wrapped completely around the filter so that there are no "holes" in the outer layer ... the vetwrap makes an awesome disposable prefilter and I replace it after every heat and the inner filter stays completely spotless ... you can get "Vetwrap" at your local vetrinary <sp?> supply store and is typically used as a bandage for wrapping horse's legs (therefore is made to "breath") ... there are other brands of wrap on the market, but the 3M stuff seems to breath the best ... though the other stuff does work.

2. I use hose clamps, but not ordinary "automotive" clamps, I found that the ones found in the plumbing section of most hardware stores are better since they are not as wide ... they work awesome! ... I was told (right or wrong) that you should be able to pick up your car by the aircleaner ...

I can only take credit for the plumbing clamp idea ... the other ideas were "borrowed" from some very accredited racers that I typically have the pleasure of pitting with ...
Hooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 12:26 PM   #137
Tech Adept

Does anyone know who might make a graphite radio tray for the MBX4RR other then Mugen?

Thanks,

Chris
JohnnyRingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 12:33 PM   #138
Tech Adept

Hey all,

Does anybody have info on the Acer Racing AR-8? Some close-up shots would be nice

Trying to chose between it, or the Mugen MBX5
chorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 06:39 PM   #139
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i dont know about that air filter thing all i can say is mine has never come off and i have taken some brutal jumps and had more than my fair share of bad landings

i have a tie strap on it that is snug but not too tight i can take the filter off and put it back on again with the strap in place i am kinda remebering reading that having it too tight can cause some sort of problem but i may just be burnt

i raced at the trinity gas challenge at my local track in pasadena MD this weekend and did very well with my mugen cars i was the top mugen finisher in both 1/8 buggy and 1/10 truck placing 4th in truck and 5th in buggy there were enough fast guys there i had to bump from the B main in buggy

i raced a 20 min B main then a 40 min A main with my mbx5 without any problems except some flame outs in the pits and 40 minutes with a 1/10 truck

the truck A was right before the 1/8 A and during the truck race i felt tired and my feet were hurting really bad we only had a couple minutes rest between the 2 races but even though the buggy race was after i felt great never once got tired or did my feet hurt just goes to show how much better 1/8 scale buggies are

niether car needed any repair after the races and my crime fighter tires still have 50% tread after 60 minutes

trinity donated a ton of goodies for the guys to give away i scored a set of 4 trc 1/8 tires and a pair of 1/10 tires also and got 2 nice trophies all in all i would have to say this was probably my best race ever

as far as my all green bodies go i have to say they are a thing of the past a friend of mine has painted me a really nice green flame on white body that i will be running as my new scheme i am going to try to take some nice pictures soon i have been waiting for my new wing to come from ace hardware hobbies but still after a week no luck
Old 07-14-2003, 06:53 PM   #140
Tech Elite

chorner get a mbx5 you will be happy you did

i have one and its the best thing ever

makes a average guy like me into A main material
Old 07-15-2003, 09:53 PM   #141
Tech Adept

Sounds good to me :P

How are the bearings on the MBX5 though? The bearings on my Mugen MTX3 quite frankly, suck. They also cheaped out, and used metal shielded bearings for the front diff, not only that the rubber sealed bearings have needed to be cleaned out, and relubed after only 4 runs because they started to bind a little. I take extremely good care of my kits, to the point where you couldn't tell if I had run the buggy yet after atleast a couple months of racing and abuse.

I can tell you that my experience, and a couple others are that the bearings are pretty crap with the MTX3, and the older X4 buggy. Apparently the outer bearings blew quite a bit, and had problems right out of the box, and not after a few months of abuse. I know from experience, that out of the box my MTX3 needed some 'fixing' or adjusting and is rather a pain to maintain

What can you say about the MBX5? ... honestly, any problems other than 'i smashed _____ (insert part) from ramming into the back of a jump at 40mph :P ?
Old 07-16-2003, 08:18 AM   #142
Tech Regular

I am close to getting a buggy but need to make a decision. Hyper 7 Pro or a GS Storm Pro? Need your opinions. Thanks a lot.

Cheers.
diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 08:25 AM   #143
Tech Regular

Hyper 7 Pro, but they are both great cars.
LouisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 06:50 PM   #144
Tech Elite

i would also go hyper 7 pro

as far as mugen bearing go i think they are pretty good i had a mbx4xr for over a year and never had to replace any bearings

the mtx3 bearings youve had problems with are the 10x15 bearings right? at least those are the ones i always had problems with thats why they switched front uprights so they could use the different size outer bearing because those others were constantly crapping out

i think that the main problem is either the size of the bearing or maybe the car is just extremely hard on them

the problem i have seen people with mbx5s having is the steering piece in the front where the tie-rods attach in the center called steering plate i think has been bendind mostly because those same peopl shimmed it up 3mm to reduce bump steer

i can see mine is slightly bent after 4 races first couple races i drove poorly and over shot most of my landings really abusing the buggy but didnt break 3rd race was at a track with a huge 6-7 ft tall table top and the 4th was the trinity gas challenge where i ran 60 minutes of mains and 4 qualifiers and mine is only slightly bent and nothing else is broken or worn or anything but ready to race

the fix is to get an extra plate and cut the ends off and bolt the 2 plates onto the steering arms together you then have spaced it up 3mm and enforced it so the problem is gone for $12 or so

i saw some broken arms at the race with the huge table top but nowhere else have i seen mbx5 break

as far as durability i think mugen may be the best and if not very close

i even ran my mst-1 for a 40 minute main without breaking
Old 07-18-2003, 08:16 PM   #145
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to THeGame
Default GS Storm

whats up with the GS Storm ?

I just got one with everthing for 100 buck...

Does Gs have a Website ?
THeGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 06:59 PM   #146
Tech Adept

Humm, well hopefully true for the MBX5 .. they certainly skimped on quality with the MTX3 bearings.

That doesn't sound all to promising about the plate bending, and thinking that minimal damage is ok after what sounds like a month worth of racing.

I definitly wouldn't want to replace anything after only a few races with just normal abuse -aside from wild crashes- thats just crap. Doesn't say much for the durability in my eyes. I know guys who would put a gallon or more through their kits in just 2 days. Theres no way that sucker would last; doesn't sound good to me for a new kit. The fix you mention, is it just putting one plate ontop of eachother (i am assuming you mean the plate that controls the ackerman angle?) and bolting through them? Thats not too bad atleast, but still not acceptable in my mind.

Oh well ... I'll probably end up with the Mugen in the end anyways; the AR-8 seems to be a big Hype machine more than anything.
Old 07-19-2003, 09:46 PM   #147
Tech Elite

dude why so harsh?

yeah it kinda sucks about the steering plate but its no big deal IMO

i have run quite alot of fuel through my buggy so far and it has been wrecked horribly many many times

if you think thats no good enough you could go ahead and try a kanai but i see them break also

in fact i would say ive seen far more broken kyosho parts than mugen

all i can say is that 1/8 buggies withstand incredible amounts of abuse and mugen seems to make a really durable one

compared to problems ive had with other cars this seems like nothing
Old 07-20-2003, 01:23 PM   #148
Tech Adept

Well I guess I seem a little more harsh because I expect perfection guess thats not going to happen with an RC kit; but seriously I was kind of dissapointed with a few things on the MTX3 (bearings, play in the arms, dogbones that aren't the proper length, the poor design in my opinion of the rear brace

-doesn't leave enough room between the rear belt and back brace to let debris escape without binding and tearing the belt, this thing eats the rear and front belt like mad, a couple times just from accelerating hard, I ripped the teeth clean off the front belt-

and enormous amounts of time on maintaining it ... also, just look at how many hop-ups guys are testing out on their MTX3's ... tells you something about satifaction with the kit ... ) Far prefer my NTC3, and it looks like a complete POS at first glance; but it performs with very minimal hassle.

Anyways, I do know that off-road will be alot more punishing than on-road for sure. I'm just afraid that buying another Mugen kit of current release, will give me the same headaches.

The Mugen kits seem to be hyped like crazy; yet when I've gotten thr truth out of others they are seemingly agreeing its more of a nightmare than a blessing. Of course, there are those who also say there is nothing wrong with it, and I'm an idiot ... but those are the people who are likely having the most problems out of the bunch They're still just trying to justify their purchase out of anger on the forums haha
Old 07-21-2003, 06:46 PM   #149
Tech Elite

i had mtx3 and ntc3 and i was much happier with mtx3 but i didnt have as many problems with my mtx3 i guess everyones different

there are IMO 3 choices for 1/8 buggy mbx5 kanai or hyper 7 all 3 are good handling buggies and all 3 will break sometimes but not often

i think mbx5 is the best handling buggy out because of the low cg and its lighter than the others and it turns better

hyper 7 seems to be the most stable and kanai is the most tunable IMO

i am biased though being a loyal mugen driver for a couple years except for a breif time when i raced ntc3 which just wasnt the right car for me

by the way i totally agree about the front dogbones on mtx3 that did make me pretty mad that was just stupid design there are no incredibly dumb things like that on mbx5

get an extra steering plate before you build and put it together like i described there is a good chance that if you drive decently it will be a good long time before you have your first issue with mbx5
Old 07-21-2003, 09:01 PM   #150
Tech Adept

Well I guess it all depends on where you run your kits -onroad- The MTX3 definitly doesn't suit the type of tracks around here.

Sounds good ... the MBX5 seems to be the right choice in my mind. Price is better than the Kyosho's, and I know Mugen kits are very solid and great performers once tuned.

As long as they didn't make any stupid mistakes like I found on the MTX3 which were just oversights I'm sure Btw, about the bearings again .. they don't cheap out and give you 90% rubber sealed bearings and the rest metal shielded bearings do they?

I'll take your advice and grab an extra plate when I buy my kit. What sized screws do you need to use to fasten those suckers properly?

Also, I heard Mugen is making a running change on a couple parts with the MBX5; one of them being the steering plate -making it out of much stronger material-. Have you heard about this? I read it over on rc-racing.com in one of the MBX5 threads. Wonder when/if they'll include them in the kits.