Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Project Team Associated TR3 (TC3 truggy)56k warning

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 04:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Yea I still want to make the points pointy though.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:58 PM
Tech Master

Wow its been almost 4 months since I last updated this thread. Unfortunatly beucase of the lack of funding I have yet to make any major progress on this project. Though lately I have been trying to sell some stuff ,so as soon as that sells I will be able to return to make regular fast pace progress. Also Christmas is coming up so maybe I will get some help there.
Over the last 3 months I haven't gotten much done but recently I have started to draw out designs for small stuff like chassis stand offs,motor mount, battery stand offs, mostly small stuff. Then ofcourse at the wee hours of the morning I was thinking about this project and I came up with a very good idea to replace my current suspension set up....

The current problem with it is that I don't have a drill press or mill. So its very hard to make straight accurate holes for the hinge pins through 5 layers of lexan so that they match all up. Also I have always hated bent hinge pins and e-clips. I could have come up with a way to eliminate the e-clips like on the T4/B4. Instead I just decided to get rid of the hinge pins all at once. The design I have come up with uses no hinge pins. Instead it uses Pivot Balls. This reduces resitence and friction. Also this set up will always me to make sure that the a-arms mount up nicely with out having to worry about hinge pins binding and holes not matching up. This is a picture of the rough design that I decided to draw up. It is ofcourse a rough drawing but it should be able to give you an idea of what I am thinking...

I can't decide on a certain design until I get the Pivot balls and other parts. I am pretty sure though that I will be using Nitro Tc3 Pivot ball Hub carriers regardless of if I use this system. I just thought it would be nice to put this design up to get opinions and thoughts on it. As you can see I am the kind of guy that loves trying something new and innovative. I rather try this and fail then try something proven and succeed.I will try to get the project rolling again as I am still very excited to finish.

Peace,
Ethan

Team Kassanova
Old 12-11-2007, 02:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

make sure you reinforce wherever the pivot balls mount. A hingepin is stronger by design being held in on two sides and stuff, but pivot balls supporting the entire arm sound like they would break under stress, or rather break whatever spot they are mounted on. May need to make wherever they mount out of steel or still inserts for the a-arms since thats where the pivot balls may also be fitted into...
Old 12-11-2007, 03:00 PM
Tech Master

I can sorta see what your saying. The mounts will probaly be made out of aluminum if the delrin or lexan isn't strong enough.The mounts right next to each other will be bottled together. . The mounts will probaly be reinforced. The Pivot balls are steel I believe.Also the bottome picture doesn't show it but the top one does at how far the pivot balls go into the a-arms. The a-arms will problay be made out of 3/8" delrin. Which from what I have heard is very tough stuff. Durability is definatly important to me and if this design hinders it too much then I will scrap the idea. You guys think it would be weak? I have one vote saying it will be. Thanks Ethan
Old 12-11-2007, 03:04 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingnutracing28
So your going to come in here and say how much you like TEAM ASS. AND THEIR TC3. right!!! THEN YOU PUT A TEAM LOSI XXX4 BODY ON THIS CREATION OF YOURS???!!!

Just to clear it up i love both brands and have both and race both heavily. and for you to come in here like some be all to end all and pull this stunt, is a slap in the face of the engineers who designed and built cars/trucks for both companies.

further more i think you might be the same person under a new scren name that was asking if anyone had ever built their own cars or trucks, asking for designs and,pics and ideas. because (well if you are the same person) you knew that you building something that no one would agree with yet it was already to the point of the pic in this post.

To that i have nothing to say.
Wow guy, it's just a body!
Old 12-11-2007, 03:52 PM
Tech Master

I agree Slayer lol. I have recently put associated decals on it. And maybe this guy will be a lil happier when I am done with version too.........
Old 12-14-2007, 06:34 PM
Tech Master

I was bored so I decided to draw a full chassis picture of the TR3 using Microsoft Paint(Its not the most accurate but its about the best I can do with paint). This will give you'll a rough idea of what it will look like in the end.

Last edited by eds24; 12-15-2007 at 12:51 AM.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:24 AM
Tech Master

Finally a update.A quiet major one at that! I also know its a very long update. You don't have to read it all ...it would be nice if you look at the pictures though For Christmas I made off with $200 all at my disposal to put in this machine. Or as a inside joke between my family its my "girlfriend" since its very loyal and will always be there for me unlike my past real girlfreind. lol The last three days I have been working basically all day on the car.

Day 1: I broke out 2 new packages of scroll saw blades and started with the chassis mounts. I finished the middle and rear chassis mounts. I also got the battery strap posts and battery barriers done.

Day 2: Finished all the above parts mounted them. I also decided on the motor mount system and got the servo saver/rack mounted. Then I started on the rocker mounts in the rear. This was by far the most difficult parts so far. I had to make atleast 2 or 3 of them to get the angles correct. Also mentle note rocker posts are very hard to thread in to lexan : ( . I finished the rear and was able to mount the shocks.

Day 3: Basically I made the front rocker mounts and got it all mounted up.

The rockers and shocks are a bit higher then I would have liked but I had to have room under to put turnbuckles in the rear and upper arm on the front. This is what it turned out like...its not perfect becuase like I have said before I am no CNC ...also I haven't sanded or put finishing touches on everything. Also right now I have just a bunch of mock up screws in it and haven't started countersinking anything.

Rear

Front

Side

Tomarrow I think I will be cutting a motor cooling hole in the chassis and also finishing the motor mount and getting that mounted. Also I will probaly start sanding everything. In a few days I will be ordering the nitro tc3 hub carriers and pivot balls off of ebay. If ofcourse I win the auction. Until those come I can't really do anything else. Once they come though I will be able to figue out the suspension and figue out what I need to complete the suspension. I am pretty set on the hing-pinless design unless it proves to be weak or undo-able.I am also trying to decide between lexan or delrin for the new a-arms. My old version 2's will no longer be used, unfortunatly.

You may ask why I am going with the laydown type of suspension. When I was making the rocker mounts I was asking myself the same question. But there are advantages.
1. Lower Center of Gravity
2. Less bent shock shafts
3. In my opinion more durable
4. Progressive suspension
5. Its unique

The following picture should give you and idea of the most noticable advantage ; the lower center of gravity. The lexan shock tower is from my version one and is showen at about the same height as it was mounted on the last version

I figued for the heck of it I would put some mock up arms on it and just lay the arms on to get and idea of what it will look like..

The recent cold weather has forced me to move the rest of my workshop inside which includes my scroll saw Here is the new set up which I love

Hmmm and finally another hint to my surprise that I have planned for this...It should be obvious this time..

Clue 2 : I lurk in the lens

Peace,
Ethan
Old 12-30-2007, 01:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingnutracing28
So your going to come in here and say how much you like TEAM ASS. AND THEIR TC3. right!!! THEN YOU PUT A TEAM LOSI XXX4 BODY ON THIS CREATION OF YOURS???!!!

Just to clear it up i love both brands and have both and race both heavily. and for you to come in here like some be all to end all and pull this stunt, is a slap in the face of the engineers who designed and built cars/trucks for both companies.

further more i think you might be the same person under a new scren name that was asking if anyone had ever built their own cars or trucks, asking for designs and,pics and ideas. because (well if you are the same person) you knew that you building something that no one would agree with yet it was already to the point of the pic in this post.

To that i have nothing to say.
Take a chill pill,Actually take 12 thene you will not have to take 1 EVER AGAIN!!!!
Old 12-30-2007, 12:39 PM
Tech Master

haha I agree
Old 01-01-2008, 06:29 PM
Tech Master

Since of a recent sponsorship deal with a new company/racing team.The TR3's new name is Team Kassanova TR3. I will be working with them to make hop-up parts for various vehicles.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eds24
Since of a recent sponsorship deal with a new company/racing team.The TR3's new name is Team Kassanova TR3. I will be working with them to make hop-up parts for various vehicles.
grats! I know this may sound wack considering its age....

but id be happy to purchase a custom-made center one-way for a Tc3 much like...

http://www.hobbyetc.com/cgi-bin/item.cgi?part_id=984

PS
...i suppose this sort of thing also works on a TC4 and that is still somewhat current (in RTR form more so, however). You may even be able to use one on your project considering many zx-5 and other shaft 4wd buggy guys use center one-ways to good success...
Old 01-03-2008, 11:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I think my TC3 Truggy looks cool: http://www.rcpics.net/view_single.php?medid=84089, http://www.rcpics.net/view_single.php?medid=84088, http://www.rcpics.net/view_single.php?medid=84086, but yours just went a step ahaed. I like it, keep the pics coming.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Syber Serulean
grats! I know this may sound wack considering its age....

but id be happy to purchase a custom-made center one-way for a Tc3 much like...

http://www.hobbyetc.com/cgi-bin/item.cgi?part_id=984

PS
...i suppose this sort of thing also works on a TC4 and that is still somewhat current (in RTR form more so, however). You may even be able to use one on your project considering many zx-5 and other shaft 4wd buggy guys use center one-ways to good success...
What do you think about this Ethan?
Old 01-03-2008, 11:53 AM
Tech Master

Lutach: I have seen your truggy on there before and its VERY impressive . It definatly looks more factory than mine. Major props. Did you make the chassis and the shock towers?

Annie: I actually have never heard of a center one way like this before. I have heard of ones where the motor is mounted in the middle of the chassis like the B44, Bj4,etc. Center one ways for them but never for a rear motor car. Very interesting. I will have to research it some more.

Ethan
Team Kassanova

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.