R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-03-2008, 12:59 PM   #196
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to annie_himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by eds24 View Post
Lutach: I have seen your truggy on there before and its VERY impressive . It definatly looks more factory than mine. Major props. Did you make the chassis and the shock towers?

Annie: I actually have never heard of a center one way like this before. I have heard of ones where the motor is mounted in the middle of the chassis like the B44, Bj4,etc. Center one ways for them but never for a rear motor car. Very interesting. I will have to research it some more.

Ethan
Team Kassanova
Cheack out all the other threads, I'm the only one there!

Anyway, I haven't seen one for a shaft driven car either. And one for the TC3 is almost..wack (), not many people race TC3's.
annie_himself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:05 PM   #197
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Syber Serulean

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Cheack out all the other threads, I'm the only one there!

Anyway, I haven't seen one for a shaft driven car either. And one for the TC3 is almost..wack (), not many people race TC3's.
yeah but it'll work on a Tc4 too lol.

ZX-5's use center one-ways. Mine has one. Just plugs into the front diff replaced the input shaft that receives the main drive shaft. It adds more steering (not as much as a front one-way tho) but it saves the drivetrain of any stress (unlike a front way) that may bend or break parts.

and the chassis on Luttach's truggy is an Extreme Racing chassis. I have one too :P

Syber Serulean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:09 PM   #198
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to annie_himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syber Serulean View Post
yeah but it'll work on a Tc4 too lol.

ZX-5's use center one-ways. Mine has one. Just plugs into the front diff replaced the input shaft that receives the main drive shaft. It adds more steering (not as much as a front one-way tho) but it saves the drivetrain of any stress (unlike a front way) that may bend or break parts.

and the chassis on Luttach's truggy is an Extreme Racing chassis. I have one too :P
Oh yea. I was thinking of something different.
annie_himself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:09 AM   #199
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The chassis on my truggy is the Extreme racing chassis mentioned above. I also have other chassis from Penguin and BMI that I'm thinking of doing a buggy or another truggy. That truggy I bought on Ebay. The guy did a great job and the towers were probably made by him. I designed a chassis for a 1/8 scale truggy and I sent the drawings to a very talented guy to see what he thinks.
lutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:19 AM   #200
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to eds24 Send a message via Yahoo to eds24

Wow. Yea I agree he did do a nice job on it. Wish I could have found a score like that on ebay. I found afew xxx-4 truggys but they aren't done very well.

A small up date today I worked more on the 8 piece rollcage. I will tell you guys more about that when its finished. I also took it apart and cut a motor hole and did some sanding on the chassis.Oh yea and countersunk all the holes ghetto style.

Ethan
Teamkassanova.com
eds24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 07:16 PM   #201
Tech Master

I put some bids on ebay for ntc3 front/rear hub carriers, pivot balls,and some blue wheel nuts. The auction only came with one set of hub carriers and pivot balls but I needed an extra set of pivot balls for the inside mounts so I just bought another package with hub carriers so I will have extra's. These parts should be in by Saturday and then I can start designing the a-arms. Still trying to figue out a material to use. Delrin looks to be a bit exspensive at $40 for 12"x12" so I was thinking about getting some 3/8" lexan instead but I am still trying to decide. I also may have the a-arms cnc'ed by a friend instead of hand cutting them. Thats another decision I have to make. Peace Ethan
Old 01-17-2008, 07:37 PM   #202
Tech Elite

just thought i'd mention that i did manage to find the center-one way as i mentioned earlier. Got it directly from GPM Racing's HQ (china). I have yet to install it. All i know is the center (or shaft) one-way in my zx-5 is a definate plus, so hopefully this will have similar benefits. You may want to look into it for your truck if you push in turns off-power. The GPM rep told me they didnt have many left though.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:10 PM   #203
Tech Master

Ok thanks I will make sure to look into it
Old 01-18-2008, 05:19 PM   #204
Tech Master

The ntc3 parts came in today and WOW i am not used to working with such beefy parts. I think I will have a hard time breaking these. They look like they will work better than exspected. As I was taking them apart I figued out another thing about the pivot ball supspension you can use it as a VLA or variable length .Like the technology used on the losi trucks/buggies. You can basically tune the length of the a-arms by screwing or unscrewing the pivot balls with out changing width. By putting spacers in the axles it keeps the same width. This also helps me becuase I can turn two pivot balls on each hub and it makes it so that the hub is brought close to the center making it so that the cvd is pushed farther into the outdrive so that I can have maximum clearance for bashing and then when i want to race I can make it so that I can go back to the max width with level a-arms, by unscrewing the pivot balls. I will be designing the a-arms over the weekend and hopefully buying some material soon if the money is there.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:42 PM   #205
Suspended

Thumbs up Remember me from RCU? Me B44RacerEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by eds24 View Post
Team Kassanova TR3 V1

There is the bj4 , tc3"0" ,and a couple of other people have made tc3 buggys .I like the 4wd buggys mainly the body and the fact that it is 4wd. I don't like their low ground clearance which is not the best for bashing.I want the ground clearance of a staduim truck and the stability , but the traction ,ease of driving, and the looks of a 4wd buggy. SO i am makeing making a TR3 ( tc3 truggy)a ultimate basher.It will be as wide or wider then a typical stadium truck,have 2.2 wheels and tires,be as long or longer then a stadium truck.But in my eyes a really truggy deserves a buggy body so to top it of I will put a xxx-4 body on it.I started this project awhile ago and its almost complete here is a alist of parts that are on it:
t3 rear a-arms
t3 turnbuckles
t3 shocks
t3 servo saver
t3 rear hinge pins
t3 rear shock tower in the front and the rear
t3 cvds
masher 2k2's on t3 rear wheels
ntc3 diffs
tc3 drive shaft
xxx-4 body
hpi rs4 mt c-hubs and hub carriers
t3 rear a-arm mounts
Custom Lexan upper and lower deck chassis
t3 rear shock mounts
t3 rear shock tower mount
tc3 "0" slipper
t3 rear shock tower mount

I still need to drill holes in everything and cut a motor mount,chassis stand offs, the a-arms to replace the t3 ones, the shock towers to replace the t3 ones, and other small parts.Here are so pics. Let me know what you guys think. If you would like to view my building process and my updates over the last couple of weeks you can visit my website at www.freewebs.com/eds24/
If you would like to view more pics you can go here.http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a2/eds24/ Peace Ethan

Hey how has progress come so far, my racing opponents post here often. Apparently they ignore me because I'm running with the big dogs.
Associated B44/Tamiya 501x WE
Off-road only!
bmaglinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:27 PM   #206
Tech Master

Progess has been coming along very nicely. Haha nice. I think they are intiminated.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:13 PM   #207
Tech Master

Bad news... I sent the lower chassis and some pivot ball parts and a few drawings to a friend of mine so that he could make me some aluminum pivot ball a-arm mounts. He got the chassis and parts yesterday and tells me that the chassis broke in shipping. With no insurance I can't get any money from the post office but The chassis broke in the same area around where the spur gear is and where the rear of the chassis hooks on. I figue that if the chassis in a padded envelope couldn't handle USPS then it probaly couldn't handle brushless power and 10 ft jumps. Though I had a aluminum brace to go on the chassis in the works. Now I have to make a new chassis or have one machined by the company machinist. I don't have anymore g10 so the first decision is what material to use?
1.G10
or
2. Alloy

The second thing I have to worry about is fixing the design to add material to the back. I am not sure a aluminum brace would make it strong enough. Also with the pivot ball mount design I can't cut the chassis any different to make that area stronger. So I came up with a few ideas...

1. Put 3/16" spacers under the rear diff case so that I don't have to have a spur gear hole.
Advantages: Easy,cheap,light, still keep pivot ballsupsension
Disadvantages: Raises CG and also increases the angle that the cvds slope down to the hubs which would increase cvd plunge and decrease ground clearance
2. Scrap the inner pivot ball "hingepinless" idea and go with a much more simple set up such as something similar to the tc4,t4,b4 hinge pin design just on the chassis but keep the pivot ball hubs.
Advantages: Simple, Cheap,Lowers cg,strong, can be used with t4/gt2 a-arms when useing tc3 rear hubs and tc3 front hubs.
Disadvanteges: Calls for shorter a-arm,less clearance,more traditional and not innovative, more friction.

3. Modifiy the slipper clutch, add dogbones, move to a mid motor mounted set up such as a b44 or bj4 WE. Use either the pivot ball or t4 suspension.

Advantages: More balanced,Can lower the diff cases to lower Cg and decrease cvd plunge, no spur gear hole on the rear,can extend the length by useing long dogbones, can use either type of suspension.
Disadvantages: Saddle packs, most exspensive, have to redesign top/bottom chassis.

The last thing is if I should get the chassis cnc'ed or hand make it. I sorta wanted this version to be a prototype which most of the parts where hand made by me. But if I have to buy a whole nother sheet of g10 or a alloy sheet it seems smart that I would just have it cnc'ed. Especially since I am tired of g10 affecting my lungs and the cncing would be close to free.

I am having a hard time making these decisions , I am naturally a bad decision maker... so all the help would be appreciated. I am pretty sure I don't want to do option one though. Just would be nice to get any opinions and if you have any ideas I would be happy to hear them.

Thanks Ethan
Team Kassanova
Old 02-05-2008, 11:53 PM   #208
Tech Elite

reach deep into your pockets...

titanium.

That + aluminum braces and any other reinforcement in the area might do the trick.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:22 PM   #209
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Thats funny making the tc3 to a off road truck.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:07 PM   #210
Tech Master

How is that funny?