Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-20-2007, 10:02 AM   #166
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to annie_himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ1978 View Post
Ethan,
You truggy is really starting to take shape!! Keep up the good work!
That is the way to do a prototype... one piece at a time. When you get all the geometry right let me know. Maybe I can machine the part for your from Carbon Fiber and Delrin.
Dan
Haha, I actually told him about you. I want you to make a motor mount for me.
annie_himself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:03 AM   #167
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWun View Post
And I actually took another peek and just noticed I don't see vents in those rims either. If they don't have vents, a cheap improvement would be drilling a few small holes in the backside of the rims into the air chamber to vent pressure on impact. You could always epoxy them shut if you don't like the results and they won't be seen in the back.

- Matt
Thats a good idea too, even vent holes in the tires can help if you do it right.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:49 PM   #168
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to eds24 Send a message via Yahoo to eds24

Badassrevo- Eh he's on my ignore list now lol Since he has been posting alot of wierd stuff. I don't really have a way to convert the axles and such to be able to mount 1/8th buggy rims.

TechWun:
Matt,
Yep thats what I have been doing for the last 6 years. It all started when we did a eletric unit with motors in 2nd grade after that I went to goodwill and garage sales on a hunt for anything that I could take apart and rebuild or simply SMASH lol

First of thank you for your long post,opinion,and help! I do agree that the tires I have now are pretty heavy and big. Though I find them pretty soft . I choose these tires because they are what I have lol Plus I heard they are great basher tires. I would probaly have to agree. Yes they are a bit big and thats why I ordered some Proline Step Pins. How do thoughs tamiya's do for traction? They look like they have pretty shallow tred. I will definatly look into thoughs next time I need tires. Oh yes, I do have vent holes they are just a little hidden

I just ordered everything I need except the g10 and some small parts. I will order the G10 today. Stuff should be here in a week.
eds24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 03:06 PM   #169
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

You can get some 14mm hexes from www.rcproductdesigns.com and some 14mm to 17mm adapters from www.crazynutracing.com

ARCS Hobbies / Paint Monster Airbrushing / BFast / Tonys Screws
badassrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 03:11 PM   #170
Tech Master

Thanks for the links. Yea I guess I could get some custom made or just make some myself. Not sure how it would look with them on though. I will think about it next time I need some tires and wheels. It not my main concern right now since at the moment I have the tires and wheels figued out. Peace Ethan
Old 07-26-2007, 09:27 PM   #171
Tech Master

Cool. Well I got the suspension parts in yesterday along with tires ,and some random parts and my top secret surprise lol . I have the suspension all planned out. I also finished the a-arms and painted them. They look good. The bad news is that I had to purchase a book for school so I wasn't able to order the G10 though I ordered it today.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:42 AM   #172
Tech Master

Well here's the story about the g10. I ordered some .125" (1/8th" or 3mm) sheet 12"x18" I wait a week and pay $18 for shipping which was a bit crazy. It gets here and its .188" (5mm) thick. Way too heavy and thick for a double deck chassis. So I call them and they said they would send me another sheet. So I waited another week and it came today. I soon was faced with the reality of how hard this stuff is to cut. I put in my thicker blades on the scroll saw and I start cutting it. I get about 1 or 2 inchs in and the blade becomes dull enough where it won't cut anymore... errr. I exspected this but I didn't think it would be this bad. I thought maybe every 6 inchs I would have to switch blades. So I started cutting with a circular saw and that is not very easy to cut with at all. But I think for most of the bottom chassis I can use it. Its going to be hard but Idk how else to cut it. The problem is ,is that I have no clue how I will be able to cut the upper deck.. becuase I can't use the circular saw much. Any ideas??
Old 08-10-2007, 02:50 AM   #173
Tech Addict

cutting oil will work wonders in most situations, it makes a surprising difference. im not sure how effective that would be on G10, did you try using super fine teeth count blades with the scroll saw?
raceGEEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 02:58 AM   #174
Tech Master

I tried some finer teeth and it worked alittle better. I will experiment tomarrow and look into cutting oil. Thanks
Old 08-10-2007, 10:27 AM   #175
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Cool project and the car looks nice. You're V2 sounds even better.
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:48 AM   #176
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

good to hear your making a version 2.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:29 PM   #177
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 151 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eds24 View Post
Well here's the story about the g10. I ordered some .125" (1/8th" or 3mm) sheet 12"x18" I wait a week and pay $18 for shipping which was a bit crazy. It gets here and its .188" (5mm) thick. Way too heavy and thick for a double deck chassis. So I call them and they said they would send me another sheet. So I waited another week and it came today. I soon was faced with the reality of how hard this stuff is to cut. I put in my thicker blades on the scroll saw and I start cutting it. I get about 1 or 2 inchs in and the blade becomes dull enough where it won't cut anymore... errr. I exspected this but I didn't think it would be this bad. I thought maybe every 6 inchs I would have to switch blades. So I started cutting with a circular saw and that is not very easy to cut with at all. But I think for most of the bottom chassis I can use it. Its going to be hard but Idk how else to cut it. The problem is ,is that I have no clue how I will be able to cut the upper deck.. becuase I can't use the circular saw much. Any ideas??
Try getting a REMGRIT GJ-2 sabre saw blade (or something similar to fit your scroll saw). These have tungsten carbide grit brazed to the cutting edge of the saw blade. Here is a link to a catalog where they are listed:

http://www.abmetal.ch/blumol_catalog.pdf

Go to page 19.
ta_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 02:59 AM   #178
Tech Master

Thanks for the link..
Haven't updated much though I have been working alot on it. I cut a lower chassis out and spent alot of time sanded it all down all to find out that in the rear where the spur gear goes through it I cut it too thin. After some thinking time I decided to take a chance and use the rest of my G10 to make another chassis. I made that today and it came out great. I have offically fallen in love with my Jigsaw. The blades last FOREVER. I mean I cut 2 whole chassis's and a upper deck with one blade. I also never knew it could cut so well and easily. I also cut a top deck for it today and I barely touched my scroll saw. I gave the upper deck a sorta sharp gothic look. Right now I have the diffs mounted on the chassis and the upper deck on.

I am far from done and the list of to do's stands

-Make Chassis Stand offs
-Make motor mount
-Make new a-arm mounts
-Drill holes
-Finish battery strap system and slots and standoffs.
-Make Rocker mounts
-Make shock mounts
-Buy and install Push Rods
-Make Bumper mount
-Make Body mounts
-Mount everything
-Paint lexan
-Dye wheels?
-Take Pics
-Install Electronics
-Take Pics
-Make Video

Wow I have alot to do and school starts this week and I have soccer everyday. Hopefully by the end of the week I will have it all finished. Maybe by next sunday and not sure when I will get the video done. But I will keep you all updated.

Also I have a clue for the surprise I have for you all:

"I like it inside out,not outside in"

Peace Ethan
Old 08-20-2007, 02:28 PM   #179
Tech Master

Here are some pics of the chassis's,a-arms,and battery strap.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:47 PM   #180
Tech Master

That looks great. Looks like you need to sand the top deck though right?..