R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Orion Advantage ?????'s (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/146499-orion-advantage-s.html)

chris c 01-26-2007 12:39 AM

Orion Advantage ?????'s

And yes i looked in the manual...

Is there a volt cut-off on the discharge mode.....I want to set it at 5.6 and bring them down with my smart tray. For the life of me i cant find any info about it.....

May have to sell it and buy an ICE that has that feature.

MikeXray 01-26-2007 05:17 AM

I haven't found a way to adjust it either, it does seem to cut off kinda high.

jgroenhof 01-26-2007 06:33 AM

See!

Chris, that's why you need to buy a Dump Discharger, such as the one I tried to sell you Sunday at the track. Oh, never mind. Seriously though I think any real dumping duties would be better left to an inexpensive device, rather than a high end charger. Also you can handle your charge, and discharge duties at the same time.

I think the true purpose of the Orion discharge function is really for cycling. Hope you know I am really just thinking out loud here.

The charger I got off Charlie, finally crapped out. I think 3 3800's back to back were a bit much for it. What do you think about the Orion? Other than discharging. I guess everybodies pretty happy with the ICE.

Hopefully this is the right Chris, other wise you'll just think I'm crazy.
See ya at the track Sunday? I got my race money this time.
Have a good one.

Joe Pillars 01-26-2007 08:02 AM

The Orion Advantage Charger discharges batteries down to 5.4 volts.

jgroenhof 01-26-2007 08:41 AM

Joe

I guess what I was thinking... Do you use your charger as your primary discharging device?

Something else I have been thinking about.
When people tray batteries there should be some voltage to work with.
A tray wont bring voltage up. If a cell is at 0.8v prior to traying, and your set to equalize at 0.9v you will never get your match.
If you set your Smart Tray to 0.8v It would work better with a 5.4v cutoff.

I know you've been around the track a few times Joe. What do you think about this?

Joe Pillars 01-26-2007 08:52 AM

Yes, I charge and discharge my batteries with an Advantage Charger. Its best to set your Novak Smart Tray to .9 That will give you the same cut-off as 5.4 but will equalizes your cells.

jgroenhof 01-26-2007 08:59 AM

WOW

maybe I'm overthinking this a bit. huh.

chris c 01-26-2007 10:49 AM

Was just at novak with a bad smart tray and the replacement was bad also...

Charlie said to discharge to 5.6 no lower and then tray them he said if you discharge to 5.4 and then tray them it will not be a correct .9 on the tray....

off to buy a ice!!!

Anyone want to buy a orion charger????

Joe Pillars 01-26-2007 11:05 AM

Just remember with IB's its only best to tray them right before you start charging. When storing them you want to put 1000 mah back into the batteries.

JoshR 85 01-26-2007 12:27 PM

joe is correct... always remember to put 1000mah back into it if you do happen to discharge your ib's... i accidently didnt do that and they sat for 2 months and well the packs i didnt put charge back into you could tell they didnt feel the same as the ones i did. oops :ha:

jgroenhof 01-26-2007 12:49 PM

Hey Chris

Here is you quote

Originally Posted by chris c
Was just at novak with a bad smart tray and the replacement was bad also...
Charlie said to discharge to 5.6 no lower and then tray them he said if you discharge to 5.4 and then tray them it will not be a correct .9 on the tray....
off to buy a ice!!!
Anyone want to buy a orion charger????

Here is my quote

Originally Posted by jgroenhof
The charger I got off Charlie, finally crapped out. I think 3 3800's back to back were a bit much for it. What do you think about the Orion?

Pennies on the dollar! lol
Chris why don't you PM me and we can talk about it.
My name is John :nod:

jgroenhof 01-29-2007 12:57 PM

Proud new owner

Now that I own the above Charger, I was wondering which settings are the best to use.
I read/looked at the .PDF manual online, it's more like a picture book than a manual. It tells me how but not why.

I so far have charged at 6.0A/4mv cutoff with both GP3300's and IB3800's.
I haven't used the temp feature, because I didn't get it setup in time, and cycling/discharging were quite confusing.

There are so many features to this charger. What's a good performance/reliability charging routine, based on the Advantage charger.

Joe Pillars 01-29-2007 05:18 PM

Hi John,

Charging at 6 amps is fine. I would just change your mv setting to 3 per cell. This allows the batteries to peak without getting soo hot.

I will also be at SoCal on Wedesday if you have any other questions.

Hope this helps,
JP

chris c 01-29-2007 08:56 PM

John boy.....
I will be there with the manual on wednesday.....
Any ???? about it i can show u then ok....

Chris

jgroenhof 02-10-2007 10:03 PM

More Q's!

Getting the hang of the Charger now. I really like it. Thanks again Chris.

The motor run in feature is great. One question. It reports back the Amperage draw while running. For example I did 2.0v/200 secs. run in with 7.8 amps drawn. No load.

Is the Amp draw a useful motor gauge, which can help with gearing and motor selection.

Also a temp cutoff of 40' C is pretty easy to acheive. How hot should I let IB3800's get? How about GP3300's?

Thanks for being there.