R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-19-2007, 10:56 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Starter Slipping...

Hey everyone!

I have an Acme Condor Pro (Clicky!) It came with a Leo .15 Pullstart engine. I brought one of these (clicky!). But now after about 2 years of having the car, when i go to start it the starter spins but does not turn the engine, so i took the tiger drive off and the shaft coming out the back of the engine was convered in oil, so i cleaned it all off and put it all back together. Then i got it all ready to start, the tiger drive turned the engine, then it stared spinning again. So i thought it was the one way bearing that had 'given up', but its seems that a small amout of oil is leaking from the backplate of the engine where the shaft comes out. I ccant take the backplate off because the screws are too tight and the allen key has just worn them away now. So what can i do to prevent this?

I'll try and post some pics later.

Thanks in advance for help

-Andy.

Edit: Pictures...

As you can see there is oil on the shaft and looks as if its coming from the back of the engine.

Last edited by rok.my.sox; 01-19-2007 at 11:38 AM.
rok.my.sox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 12:11 PM   #2
Suspended

it looks as though that brass bushings you can see in the shaft pic is leaking. to get the bolts out that are to tight heat them with a blow dryer for awhille and then they should come out. after an immediate cleanig of the shaft and tiger drive it should turn over. i would still replace the one way bearing and replace that bushing you should be good after that.
wingnutracing28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 12:24 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the help, but i've just had another go at cleaning it and when trying to start it again the OWB froze solid, i had to result to brute force ( a hammer) to get it off, this has resulted in small scratches on the shaft, pic:

You can see one of the scratches from the OWB, also what seems to be some burnt stuff at the bottom of the shaft.

So the tiger drive is now nackered, im thinking it night be better to fork out 65 for a nice new Team Infinity RTR18S.... any thoughts?!

-Andy.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:29 PM   #4
Suspended

if your gonna replace the motor. i would look to an O.S. one maybe a pull start if you dan't have a starter box. it would be a much better motor. but if money is an issue then go with the rtr motor. im not sure if there is a tiger drive system for os motor but you could look into it.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:33 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

So what would i have to look out for? Like will the clutch fit along with the clutch bell? Are the engine mounts the same?

Thanks so much for the help
Old 01-19-2007, 07:16 PM   #6
Suspended

mounting should be the same. as for different types of them go to O.S. engines .com. you will need to stay a .12, which will have more power than any rtr .15 motor anyways. due to internal design and a few tweaks in the crank. they make more power.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:48 AM   #7
Tech Rookie

Ok, thanks. Do yo know of any good websites to buy from in the UK?