R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-18-2007, 08:30 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Default after run oil?

the guy at the LHS told me this one this that I can buy at a hardware store thats the exact same thing as afterrun oil.Anyone kno the name?Any other thing that I can use as after run oil?
wcairsoft3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:55 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I would just buy a after run oil from the hobby store... That way you know it was meant for a nitro RC motor, and not a lawn mower or weed eater that run off of gasoline.... It could be made with different stuff, that is made purely for gasoline engines, and could end up hurting your nitro engine.
Euro Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 10:15 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Their probably talking about Marvel Mystery Oil. Looks like Turtle wax bought them out recently, but it's still the same stuff. A few drops in the carb and in the cylinder and your golden. "Repels H2O and prevents corosion", exactly what you want to do.
Maxxwalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:02 AM   #4
Tech Adept

Where can I buy this?yes,that's the stuff..will lowes or the autopart store have em?
Old 01-18-2007, 12:48 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

WalMart has MMM, WD40 works as well, but after run oil is golden.
HTH
Rod
gatermaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 02:48 PM   #6
Tech Master

I've been using Marvels for years (the same single can) and I have many old RB's that still run great. For a few dollars you can get a lifetime suppy of Marvels. The after run oils you buy from hobby stores works great but cost about 100 times as much as marvel.
RBMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 02:57 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

What can I use to replace filter oil from the hardware or autoparts store?
GPM BLUE ALUMINUM A-ARM SET U/L
ACNCM ENORMOUS COOLING HEAD
INTEGY SWAY BAR KIT
VANTAGE HX5 TIRES

Micro baja
Micro raminator

ALUMINUM PIVOT BLOCKS
FULLY ADJUSTABLE C/C/S
LOWGEARED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:35 PM   #8
Tech Adept

from this page,witch one is the correct one I should get?

http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,2,1
Old 01-18-2007, 05:08 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

BE FOR WARNED !! IF YOU HAVE A DOUGH FILLED CRANK YOU MUST USE THE AFTERRUN OIL FROM THE ENGINE MAKER !!! Or it will ruin the dough and your investment !!! (NovaRossi, JP, MAX,Rex,Medial Pro,Top all may have these cranks in them ) And even some mod O.S. versions so be careful .
If you know your engine does not have this then Marvel Mystry oil works great and so does WD 40 mixed with a pinch of ATF .
mremtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:41 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcairsoft3r
from this page,witch one is the correct one I should get?

http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,2,1
original formula.
Losi XXX-MF2/CRC SC
B&T R/C - http://b-treman-rc.valp.net/btrchome.htm
dirtracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:44 PM   #11
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mremtr
BE FOR WARNED !! IF YOU HAVE A DOUGH FILLED CRANK YOU MUST USE THE AFTERRUN OIL FROM THE ENGINE MAKER !!! Or it will ruin the dough and your investment !!! (NovaRossi, JP, MAX,Rex,Medial Pro,Top all may have these cranks in them ) And even some mod O.S. versions so be careful .
If you know your engine does not have this then Marvel Mystry oil works great and so does WD 40 mixed with a pinch of ATF .

i know what a crankshaft is, so please forgive if i'm asking a stupid question here.......but what the heck is a "dough" crank.
Losi XXX-MF2/CRC SC
B&T R/C - http://b-treman-rc.valp.net/btrchome.htm
dirtracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:58 PM   #12
Suspended

after run oil is 3-in1 house oil. also yes wd-40 will work. also most fuels now a days have an additive in it that is after run oil. the only time youy really need to worry about using after run oil is if you will not be running your car for more than three months. but make sure you run the motor until it totally runs out of fuel, drain any little bit that is left in the tank everytime when your done for the day, then tilt your car around itself with the piston at the bottom of the stroke so that any and all fuel will drain out. this will help you from week to week or even bi-monthly that you wouldn't need after run oil. the reason the manufacturers stress it so much os for over kill so they are not liable for motor damage. the reason for that is that methanol in cold weather turns into water. that is were the rust could come from. but with the right additives in the fuels it doesn't allow for that chemical reaction to happen. but if you insist yes 3-in-1 house oil will save you money, yes wd-40 will work for a short period but it will also at some point cause rust. as it eventually evaporates unlike a true oil.
wingnutracing28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 07:36 PM   #13
Tech Regular

"Dough" means that the throat of the crankshaft has a silcone like filler in it . This is used to "fill" a lightened crankshaft so it's internal profile is still the same . All of the cranks I have seen have either red or orange in color filler.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:46 PM   #14
Suspended

actually the dough looking stuff is from what fuel you run. that is synthetic castor oil mix in your nitro fuel. O'donnell,trinity,blue thunder,traxxas, and a few others use synthetic castor oils pre-mix. VERY VERY BAD IN MY OPINION. for the reason of the dough building up in your motor, the castor doesn't burn off as efficientely as other synthetic based oil. like in sidewinder or byron fuels. thus have all that dough in your motor causes high operating temps for your motor and thus undue wear and shorter life spans for your 300 dollar plus motors. you decide what fuel you want to use. but my opinion stay FAR FAR FAR AWAY from castor oil mixes.

and you two stroke motorcrosses that believed so hard on castor 927 how often were you rebuilding your top ends??? way to often i know. i have raced/ridden two strokes bikes in the desert since i was 4 years old. my dad owned a maico shop. thats how far back i go. i still race now and i'm still trying to get a few of my buddies off of castor oils.
wingnutracing28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:04 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Are you for real man !! It is not any build up ! It is a silicone filler in the throat of the crank , you might not have ever seen this though , it is only used in expensive engines Like the novaRossi 421's and some of the Nova P5's ! Not all have this mind you only certain vintages.