R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-15-2007, 04:19 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to Apexs
Default Mamba Max

Hi im looking a getting a brushless motor and ESC combo and wanted to know if the Mamba Max 5700 Package was any good, also if its able to run a brushed motor aswell?

or what combo would you recommend for a 1/10th off road buggy (Academy SB V2)

Thanks
Apexs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 07:34 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexs
Hi im looking a getting a brushless motor and ESC combo and wanted to know if the Mamba Max 5700 Package was any good...
Yes. Unless you just want to just go fast (Where a 7700 is justified), the 5700 is more than enough in most cases for racing. If you need a little more "oomph", Castle Creations also offers a 6700kV motor, although it is not currently packaged with a ESC right now. I believe the 5700 system is also theoretically the fastest out of all the ESC/motor combos, since it can be used with a 3 cell LiPo whereas the 7700 motor is limited to 6-7 cell NiMH batteries.
Quote:
also if its able to run a brushed motor aswell?
Yes, although make sure to connect the ESC with the included USB cable and set the ESC to run brushed motor mode.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:46 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I have the mamba max 5700 and couldn't be happier. I even replaced my novak 5.5r with it. Using castle link is cool too, it has so many adjustments. It has smooth acceleration in contrast to the cogging issue it is claimed to have. It has so much power.

It is an outlaw motor though and you have to be sure it is legal to race with at your track. It is definitely not legal to race in a ROAR race, but you can always pick up a modified brushed motor for that.
mattnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:55 AM   #4
Tech Rookie

I have a Mamba Max with a 5700 in my XX4. Using a 4200 NIMH pack it just flies. The motor is so smooth and fast. And it barely even gets warm. Also get longer run times.

I made up a 3 cell Lipo saddle pack for fun. WOW! The speed is just insane. I'm not sure you could control it on the track. With a 3 cell and the 5700 its going close to 60000 RPM. It screams. At this speed tire glueing is key! Not to mention, the lipo setup is much lighter.

Also, keep your slipper tight. Mine turned into a puddle of plastic letting it slip too much. You can set the Mamba to limit its power to help spinning tires.
Dexmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 02:45 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Thanks guys, im in the UK and have found out that the motor is not legal atm, what other brushless motor should i use for racing with it?

i think im still going to get the mamba max 5700 combo, or just the ESC, and use a different motor for racing, being able to use a pc for setting up is what really sells it for me.

Thanks

**the motor needs to be BRCA legal**

Last edited by Apexs; 01-15-2007 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:30 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

For a "legal" motor, the Tirinity motor will be good imo.. i have run a similar motor with good results. One option that's not been verified but I think would work fine is a Nosram or Novak motor.

The Mamba does an awesome job with brushed motors.... my Orion 12X2 feels better than with my other brushed escs. I think it would be great for racing stock... seems to have a ton of punch if you want it.

I must say that I have seen occasional small glitches in the Mamba system that "looks" like a radio glitch... about one little hit per run on average. It's very subtle... I only noticed it when running on a smooth indoor track. But it's there.

It doesn't happen with brushed motors... only the MM motors.
glassdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 06:42 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Here's my Mamba Maxx and a123 2p2s Li-ion in my rusty pede more power than I could want! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk-i4OxkM6M
Vato Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 05:11 AM   #8
Tech Adept

Thanks for the info guys, what specific brushless motors are you talking about?
Old 01-16-2007, 09:29 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Well I mentioned the Trinity motors because they have the ones that are black finned cans... which are re-worked Feigao motors. I have a Feigao 7s just like this that works really well. Trinity is making it legal with solder tabs.

The other ones look similar to the LRP motors but they are sensorless... designed for escs like the Mamba, and Trinity says they are ROAR legal.

Keep in mind these may not even be available yet... I don't know anyone who has them yet.
glassdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 11:10 AM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I run the 5700MM in my BJ4, and i'm very happy with it, the only problems I had were my slipper kept backing off, but got that worked out, and I had some cogging at low speed, but adjusting the starting power fixed that, I've also never had that glitch you mentioned, I run on a smooth indoor track,

they do run nice and cool thgouh, even with the under tray tucked up around the motor, and no cut outs under it, its only warm to the touch after a 5min race, for the price difference between it and the novak or LRP, there is no comparison, I had the shere comp before, and it worked really good too, but cost quite a bit more,
bobf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:44 PM   #11
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdoctor
Well I mentioned the Trinity motors because they have the ones that are black finned cans... which are re-worked Feigao motors. I have a Feigao 7s just like this that works really well. Trinity is making it legal with solder tabs.

The other ones look similar to the LRP motors but they are sensorless... designed for escs like the Mamba, and Trinity says they are ROAR legal.

Keep in mind these may not even be available yet... I don't know anyone who has them yet.
I think it takes more than solder tabs to be legal, If i read correct the windings need to be wye wound and the logo has to be machined or stamped on the endbell. If they changed this, I'll stand corrected, but, thats the last i read.
crazyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 06:15 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic

sounds like a great BL setup from CC. Will consider the 5700 package seriously! Thanks for all the feedback fellow RCers!
Blueshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:45 PM   #13
Tech Regular

It sounds like everyone is having a good time with their Mamba. I have been racing the 7700 in my race Evader. I know race and Evader are not heard together all the time, but it has been working well for me. I am racing indoors on high traction carpet with foam tires.

I have the punch turned to 40%, power-draw set to low, and I have adjusted the throttle curve to have a slight dip. It is very easy to control and I can still pull wheelies on demad with matchpacks.

There are also a few others at the track that are now running very similar setups. If your looking for power and you don't want to go to lipo this might be worth looking into.

Last edited by ILDRVR; 03-22-2007 at 08:27 PM.
ILDRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:00 AM   #14
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

So has anyone done any wire shortening with the mamba max and the various motors for it?

Which Trinity motors are good for offroad and what do they compare to as far as the mamba line?
Old 04-28-2007, 04:16 PM   #15
Tech Regular

I threw my 7700 in my TC4 today for a "Team endero fun day" to end our indoor season and it was awsome. It was tough to control at first but it felt so good to rip down the straights.
ILDRVR is offline   Reply With Quote