R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-07-2003, 11:47 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TexRacer
Default Supporting Local SHOPS.

Guys here's a lil help you may lend to the lil guys that could some day help you.Expecially for NEW COMERS.

This is SIMPLY an example:
Mailorder.
Team Losi XXX-TMFE for $219.99
Your local store carries them for $239.99.
You have to figure that someone is Shipping to you and that cost.Find out what the total is and write it down.Say they charge $15.00 for shipping the truck thats a total of $234.99.
Go in telling the owner of the store you would LOVE to support him but the decision will be his on this particular item.Tell him where you can get it for this price.$234.99 shipped to you.#1 you have to figure your getting it right there and then so I dont mind spending $10.00 extra Expecially if Im supporting the store that Houses MY track.So explain to the owner that the Most you can pay him is $245.00 tax and all for the truck.If he says he can do it then #1 you help him sell the product,you supported him and all is happy and you get it right THEN.If he says sorry I cant do that DONT get mad simply say thanks and see ya race day or when I need something else.Be respectful and professional when asking and see what happens.My success rate with this so far is 95%.I was in Houston once and the guy said he couldnt.No sweat I went to the next store and bought it there saving $25.00.
Welcome to the hobby for all the new guys and to all the others.You already know how fun it is.
Later guys.
Old 03-07-2003, 12:15 PM   #2
Tech Initiate

I buy everything I can through my local track shop - they know their online competition and price their product accordingly. Plus, they offer racers 10% off anything in the shop up to $30, and 5% off after that... in most cases that wipes out any advantage the mailorder/internet places have.

Plus, they'll order anything you want, and the discounts still apply.

Not only does supporting them help keep your track open, it encourages them to increase the variety of parts & products that they're willing to stock.
gubawatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 12:17 PM   #3
Tech Elite

You got it.Great Post and thanks for the support.
At least give the store the CHANCE to sell you the product.
Old 03-07-2003, 08:57 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Ive bought a bunch from my lhs ,but it sure does save a lot when you dont pay sales tax from getting it on line.Like when buying a 500.00 kit,thats about 70 bucks saved right off the top.To the average racer that may not be a lot,but to the racer that buys stuff continuously through out the year for up keep.That money adds up very fast. Just my 2 cents worth,especially in this not so good economy right now.R/c cars are a blast to run though""
rcmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 09:57 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Yea but the difference is on those type items is your getting it RIGHT then.Here's some honesty for you though.There is More Markup in Higher Priced items.So ask for $20.00-30.00 off to compensate for the tax and sometimes they will do it,sometimes they wont.
Les
Remeber.You pay Tax Local but you pay Shipping for Mailorder.So be sure you take off that price from the total.
Old 03-08-2003, 01:21 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by rcmike
Ive bought a bunch from my lhs ,but it sure does save a lot when you dont pay sales tax from getting it on line.Like when buying a 500.00 kit,thats about 70 bucks saved right off the top.To the average racer that may not be a lot,but to the racer that buys stuff continuously through out the year for up keep.That money adds up very fast. Just my 2 cents worth,especially in this not so good economy right now.R/c cars are a blast to run though""
Is your LHS T&T hobbies?
Turbo9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 06:58 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

i support my LHS when i can

he cuts me deals on almost everything i buy because i have bought so much over the past 2 years

i will sometimes pay more to him than somewhere else

but if it isnt in stock and i have to order through him i am better off ordering it myself

i was loyal to him at my expense a few to many times and got screwed on special order stuff

but if it in the store i will buy it from him even if it costs a little more

and sometimes i will pay more to order something than i would at LHS for me its all about when i can get something more than the price

someday i hope to open my own hobbystore and racetrack where i can offer good prices and availability and keep everyone happy
jason102276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 08:06 PM   #8
Tech Apprentice

I do the best I can to help support the LHS in my area, cause I want to see them stay in business and in the neighborhood. But, there are times when I can't put a price on my time, convience, and satisfaction. I used to call or drive from one LHS to another trying to get the best deal, but my time and gas spent usually ate up whatever amount I may have saved. So, the convience and peace of mind of buying on-line is worth every penny in shipping costs.

Since I am a racer and I am usually buying something every month, actually every other week. I give my LHS a chance on large items first (Tire turers, Kits, Air Brushes, Hudy set-up board, etc). If he can't get it for me I go to the Internet. All smaller support type stuff (parts, tools, screw, bodies, belts, etc) I get on-line. I buy so much of it so frequently, I need to get the best price possible, and I don't want to hassle my LHS for discounts everytime I go in the store.
thebiggman9419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 08:26 PM   #9
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to corvettecrazy

i understand everything everyone is saying and agree with supporting a LHS but what do you do when the closest hobby shop is a good 1/2 hour away and that's with out traffic which is heavy almost 24/7. That is the closest one but he carries so little that I have ordered online for the sake of time. I dont know I guess the hassle of getting to a hobby shop takes away from the joy of being in one.
corvettecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 09:09 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

one of the main reasons a lot fo local guys tend to buy stuff on line is because of taxes. Its funny when I hear people complaining about sales taxes of 8% or less, here in Ontario it is 15%, and top that with a LHS that does not like to support its racers, then why bother trying to support him. There are 2 other hobby shops, of which I have no opinion for I have never shopped at them, but heard many good things about.
Its very tough being a competitive racer and trying to support your LHS when your competitor can spend the money he or she saves on mail order on a better engine, or Factory cells as per example.
Its unfortunate, I really enjoy "window shopping" for rc stuff. I am attracted to shiny parts, and like the updated versions and seeing them up close.
I worked at this store for a while, and it was one of the most horrible things I had to do. Being a racer, and selling parts to races, i felt dirty when I had to help a fellow racer out that was "had" by one of the owners who know jack about RC vehicles.
We spend good money on these things, and it is events like the ones I have dealt with that make me no longer care if the big local shop stays in business.
I would support them however if they changed their business practice, I would even pay more if they supported their local racers instead of buying what they think we should have or race.

thanks for the vent session

PS, the guys that I have dealt with out of town though are fantastic, and I have no hesitations paying for stuff they are selling.
Good guys, that know what they are talking about and deserving of business.
Old 03-09-2003, 12:24 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic

fastburn i wouldnt support a shop like that either

i have a store 15 min away that i dont go to because they cost too much and have no interest in helping me by getting stuff that i want

i drive 35 min to another store that is much better if what i want is in the store i will buy it the prices are usually good but i will pay a little extra for the luxury of having the part or whatever it is that day but i have found if they dont have it in stock and it is something i have seen online i am much better off ordering it myself because sometimes the store doesnt get stuff they order for way too long

bottom line i support a LHS as long as they are suppporting me if they got what i need then they have my business even if it costs a little more but if it costs alot more (which is unusual) i will order it after all i aint made of money
jason102276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 06:33 PM   #12
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to pooldoc101

I've bought stuff online and at the local lhs. I'm gravitating to the lhs, now. For several reasons, if the part doesn't fit, they take it back, right then, no additional shipping, if the kit is missing something, they will give it to you, right then. I'm a impulse shopper , and the internet is too slow for that. I ordered a new 12 engine for my truck, the lhs got it in 2 days! Faster than online. I realize all hobby shops don't have tracks, but the track usually does, if we don't support them and they close doors, where you gonna race? On the internet?NO I've never asked the lhs for a discount, but they know I race and I see 10% off on the sales slip every time. And over time these people become your friends, you should be loyal to them. They help you out figuring out a problem. They will tell you if you don't need something. Now I'm not talking about the nationwide chains, but the local joe just out there trying to feed his kids, just like me. Supporting them is a bad term, we're not supporting them, they are offering to sale goods and services, just like you and me! WE should be loyal to them!
pooldoc101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 05:48 AM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

it would be nice if all lhs's were like that. I would whole heartedly support a shop like that, where the customer is number 1, and not trying to move all your inventory out as fast as possible, no matter what. I support hobby shops outside my city because of these reasons. like I said in a previous post, our lhs does not care what they sell you, and will not go out of their way to cut a deal, nor do they know anything about the hobby other than it is exspensive. Supporting lhs and tracks is the only way this hobby will ever live, and I know this as does everyone else, but when they wont go out of their way to keep a customer, I wont go out of my way to be a customer.
Its far too easy for me to sit here and order something, rather then going to the shop and getting hassled cause you want them to look something up for you that you will end up paying overinflated prices on(and im talking more than average)

just to give you an idea. MRC superbrain....in canadian dollars.
Lhs 99.99
Woodstock 80.00 (about half an hour away, retail outlet)
Local mail order 73.00

Octane battery pack for micros
Lhs 60.00
Honda house 49.99(about an hour away, but has race track)
local mail order 47.99

now, that starts to add up
I do travel a lot for racing, so why would I support a local place, if the places I race at need support, and have better prices?

I guess what im saying is, if your LHS is good, support it well, but dont support a shop that wont support you. Even though you might have a track in your home town, does not mean it has to be your home track, like mine, I drive 1.5 hours every other sunday to race, and I consider it my home track because its where I do a majority of my racing.

have a nice day
Old 03-17-2003, 08:24 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Being involved with a hobbyshop/track I'll add a little shop owner insite here.

The mark up on big ticket items is very small, we usualy get somewhere between $10.00 to $20.00 profit on anything over $100,00. So believe me we don't get rich selling kits/speed controlls/chargers/batteries, etc...

We do try and get full markup on the small ticket items, high turnover, better profit = open track doors.

However if a racer comes up and asks for a better price on say a special order, bulk order, no problem. We have regular racers who give us sometimes weekly orders. We can bring it in, and put it in a bag for him/her for less, because we are not pricing it, or putting it on the wall. Plus we almost allways ask for special orders to be prepaid. So why not pass on some savings.
Mark O'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 08:36 AM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I love to support my LHS when I can, Ive spent loads of money there.
the owner drives a M5...
Turbo9000 is offline   Reply With Quote