R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 06-23-2003, 12:07 AM   #31
Tech Addict

i am the manager at a hobby shop and it amazes me how people will come in and take 45minutes to an hour of your time asking you questions on products and then not buy anything and then the next day they come in and say.."yeah i got a good deal on that stuff online"....wtf???? and it's only like 5 bucks cheaper per unit...that drives me up a wall. the guy i work for has a regular job,bought the track a few years ago and turned it into one of the best facilities in the US. For example,we sell the team losi xxxtmf for $209.99 and we will STILL get people asking if we can get them a better deal on it!! a better deal? are you kidding me? we are making like $15 bucks on the kit.....like was stated earlier would you go into say a walmart and ask for discounts on towels for your bathroom? sheets for your bed....etc.? you CAN buy those items online as well but most people dont, so why so when buying rc stuff??? our shop carries the kits and all the parts to support the types of racing we do...paved oval,dirt oval, offroad, and touring and 1/12 scale.... and we also have several RTR's like the savages,traxxas... and such so it's not like we dont have big selection and we keep our pegs deep with product. support your lhs as much as you can it makes this thing more fun for everyone....
losi jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 01:36 PM   #32
Tech Adept

My LHS is a thief charges $25 for a pair of tires I could find for $13 on Tower hobbies. He's a lazy ass as well, doesn't like to order parts that are rare, that are easily available online. He's always trying to sell me old crap that nobody buys, and tries to make me feel guilty when I don't want it. I'd rather wait a week to get the stuff I need before I step in that cestpool "Danbury Hobby center" again, that rat bastard. If it weren't for sheisters like him more people would be doing this hobby.
dirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 03:20 PM   #33
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

After seeing our carpet track go I now realize how important it is to support your local track, that is if you want to race. I used to buy from just about everyone but now the track, (off road) gets 99% of my business. The bottom line is support who you want to stay in business.
Peter Busch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 03:46 PM   #34
Tech Fanatic

I support my lhs as much as I can. but my lhs is selling an rs4 rtr3 for $350 when i can get it at tower or hobbypeople for like $244-250. I do however by most of my parts from him. I must have dropped about $800 on parts an repairs so far
alucard13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 10:44 AM   #35
Tech Rookie

As everyone has stated I support my LHS when I can. I have bought a car or 2 from him and buy parts from him when he has them in stock.

I myself just bought my 1st 1/8 scale(as I have been running 1/10 scales for years). I wanted to buy one from him but he was asking almost retail for the buggies he had in stock. NO WAY am I going to pay 200 bucks more for a RC that I can get online.
I asked him to give me a break because his price was WAY out of line. So he knocked off 50 bucks......( the average game show buzzer) wrong answer.. Thats still 150 bucks i can spend on somthing else... hopups,fuel,parts ,ect ect.

I am so willing to support the guy but COME ON..... retail price for an RC... aint happening.

My 1st post on here.... Thanks to a thread I read on another forum.
BIGBADBOWTIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 12:28 PM   #36
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TexRacer

Guys it's pretty simple.Just use common sense.We are NOT telling you to pay the store owners KIDS way through college.So it's pretty simple to use common sense.
Does anyone here think we are asking you to pay $150.00 more for a kit you can get online?NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO......

What we are saying is if the kit is $239.99 at your store and $229.99 online that $10.00 could mean the difference with support and a place to race in a future time.Not just this one kit but alot of people doing this.
Guys we understand not ALL Shops are good guys.Again this biggest downfall in America today "COMMON SENSE" should come in.
If the shop is trying to help everyone in site and will stay open late,help you start your vehicle,order what you need,and help with whatever he can this is the GUY you support.But if his prices are retail and he's a jerk we are RIGHT THERE WITH YOU.I mean it's a place to race but getting ripped off is not what we are asking for.It's plain and simple when using common sense to judge what your beliefs are.
Goodluck to everyone racing and to the new comers coming into the hobby.It's a TON of fun and just as pricey as the rest of the hobbies out there.We are simply saying within REASON support your shop.
Les
Old 06-28-2003, 12:32 AM   #37
Tech Rookie

Tex I fully agree with you. I supprt my LHS totally (Krazy Kevins down in socal). Their prices are very competitive. For example, I bought a 2 speed OFNA LD3 for $309.99. TowerHobbies sells for $309.99 as well. I also bought a Ultra LX pro for $350. Plus I get all the support I want for as long as I want. Today I was in there for 3 hours becuase I was getting bubbles with the gas. They worked on it, Not just the tech but the owner too, one of many reasons I support my LHS. So if I have any problems, I drive 10 minutes and i'm there. All props to my LHS, I'm one satisfied customer along with hundred others.
For a newbie like me, I need the Support especially when it's free.

THanks to my LHS.
nitrosupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 05:35 AM   #38
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Go Texracer Go !!!! Damned fine job of gettin the point out there !! " Common sense", "within reason"........we need more attention paid to those 2 phrases.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 06:40 AM   #39
Tech Rookie

Sorry guys. While I support the concept of supporting local merchants, for me itís simply a matter of economics. First, Iím retired on a fixed income. Second, my LHS is 25 miles away. Third, he carries few parts for my car. And finally, I donít race on his track---I have my own home track. If I can purchase a part for less money and not have to leave my house to do it, Iím buying from the ďlow bidder.Ē

I realize my situation is different from a lot of you (perhaps all of you). But the point is, the advice suggested by this thread does not apply to everyone. Itís certainly worthy of consideration. But if youíre going to purchase a new (full size) vehicle and can save $5000 by going to the dealer in the next town (say, 25 miles away) versus the dealer in your town, where ya gonna buy?
jforkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 09:37 PM   #40
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by jforkner
And finally, I donít race on his track---I have my own home track. for
How did you build your home track?
alucard13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 06:57 AM   #41
Tech Rookie

alucard,

I used my tractor to scrape and shape the area, then laid out 4Ē flex drain pipe. Check out:
Track Making Thread

Jack
jforkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 01:01 AM   #42
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Northerner

yep, texracer hit the nail on the head! i agree with you 100%

our hobby shop is very competitive on pricing and we give out a lot of free labor on setting up cars and doing tuning for new rc'ers cause we dont want them to get discouraged!

our track is starting to get more popular and were bringing in racers from other states so that is encouraging!

we have been open for over 4 months now and niether my partner nor i have paid ourselves anything yet. all money taken in keeps going back into the shop and track buying more inventory or making improvments.

some people may not realize what a small business costs to operate, you may say, jeeze i know what cost is on that kit and your making fifty bucks on it? well lets see where that fifty bucks goes.....

electricity
sewer
garbage
restroom towels, etc..
entry rugs/cleaning
insurance
phone bill
cable modem bill
portapot for track
water for track
electricity for track
did i mention insurance??
yellow pages advertising
credit card processing fees
shipping fees for parts
web hosting fees
building supplies
new timing system for track
oh, cant forget inventory thats not selling

im sure im forgetting a lot of little stuff which always ads up a bunch but at least you get the idea i hope!

so whenever you can, please support your LHS cause there helping to support you in return....or at least they should be!

thanks & happy racing!
Northerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 10:40 AM   #43
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TexRacer

jforkner-.Remeber in my post it said within reason and common sense factor.Well you fall in those categories.I mean if your shop doesnt stock alot and you WONT need them at ALL for ANY type of assistance than i understand.But again I said within reason and to use common sense as you have.
Do you understand TRULY your like in a 5% bracket?
So Im speaking to the other 95%.
Thats like saying your wife doesnt nag.lol.Thats a 5% bracket.lol.
Goodluck with the home track and i hope you have a blast.
Old 06-30-2003, 11:17 AM   #44
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

jforkner.......more power to you man !!!! Just the fact that you went to all that trouble to stay in RC is darned amazing !!! Sorry to hear you don't have any place locally. You made a good point about buying from the lowest priced seller. But hopefully the LHS won't act like or sell like the car dealer you used as an example. Thats exactly what Texracer was reffering to when he said to deal with somebody when pricing is "within reason". Lets face it..............when was the last time a car dealer was within reason.LOL.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 09:47 PM   #45
Tech Adept

Northerner: Just tell your customer nicely you can't lower the price. They don't know you're making $20-$40 for a $300 car kit.
smash123 is offline   Reply With Quote