Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Supporting Local SHOPS.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 07:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I should probably clarify our situation as well.

9 of us racers put our money together to buy a failing track 2 - years ago. We put every dime back in to the business. We all have our own real jobs we do besides the track.

And I get to drive a well broken in 98 Ram.
Old 03-17-2003, 12:45 PM
Tech Initiate

Default LHS

Gmain I understand what you mean. I race at my LHS in Milwaukee WI. and the owner works nights and then works all day at the shop on very little sleep. He also gives all great deals and is a TOP NOTCH race track. They also treat everyone like family and is willing to help always. They race oval offroad and sedan. The LHS is the only place all of us should buy to keep the doors open and a great place to race. Gmain good luck with your shop and keep the 98 ram going.
Old 03-17-2003, 02:18 PM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by TexRacer
Yea but the difference is on those type items is your getting it RIGHT then.Here's some honesty for you though.There is More Markup in Higher Priced items.So ask for $20.00-30.00 off to compensate for the tax and sometimes they will do it,sometimes they wont.
Les
Remeber.You pay Tax Local but you pay Shipping for Mailorder.So be sure you take off that price from the total.
Wrong... totally wrong. Higher priced items are not marked up more. It's the other way around. LHS's don't make much money on the kits, and other high priced items, they make money on the parts, the accessories, the items you need to run the kit, the tools to build it, and the parts you break.. Especially the parts you break!

How do I know this? I worked at a hobbyshop for a while..

The shop I worked at would have denied you, unless you are a regular that comes in all the time. They are the only guys I ever saw get a discount, and they were the guys spending a couple thousand at the shop every year.

Originally posted by Fatman
Gmain I understand what you mean. I race at my LHS in Milwaukee WI. and the owner works nights and then works all day at the shop on very little sleep. He also gives all great deals and is a TOP NOTCH race track. They also treat everyone like family and is willing to help always. They race oval offroad and sedan. The LHS is the only place all of us should buy to keep the doors open and a great place to race. Gmain good luck with your shop and keep the 98 ram going.
Fatman - Who are you? I also race at Trackside. Scotty is great. I drove up there just to buy my radio on a tuesday night one time. Thats over an hour drive, both ways. Heck, I haven't even been to my LHS, 15min away, for about a month, maybe more.

-Troy
Old 03-18-2003, 06:08 AM
Tech Elite

Yup Scotty runs a class show, he was racing with us at the Roar Carpet Nats a few weeks ago.
Old 03-18-2003, 07:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

This is actually a really good thread.. I hope alot of folks take a look at it and come away with a better understanding of what they're ACTUALLY paying for when they use the LHS and why the shops desperately need them as customers.
My 2 cents worth. I am just starting a shop that specializes in RC Cars. I'm also investing in the necessary equipment to operate a racing program. It still amazes me that the biggest distributors of hobby products are also our biggest competitors!! I won't mention their names but you've all seen them with full page ads in all the magazines. How many of you know this?? Can you imagine how hard it is for a small company to compete against a company with millions of dollars at it's disposal?? And who makes it easy for them to do this??........You Do !!! Everytime you buy from them it's a slap in the face to the LHS who has to buy the product from them in order to sell it locally.I commend and support ANY distributor that doesn't compete against their dealers. Another fact...Many manufacturers WILL NOT sell direct to a hobby shop!! They only sell to the distributor and then we have to buy from them. Everytime you see the words" distributed exclusively by *****"... ask yourself , " So if this company is the distributor,why are they also trying to sell it to me??" In a perfect and fair world a distributor would not compete against his dealer customers. Last but not least.......the next time you show up at the track your LHS invested in, clip in the transponder that your LHS invested in,step on to the drivers stand they invested in and listen to the track director who probably volunteered his/her time...ask yourself.....Is this worth the extra few bucks this shop is charging ??? If you don't think it is then you might as well be running that nice new car of yours in the driveway because when the shop closes down so does the track. Next time you buy from mail order or a shop that doesn't support any kind of racing,keep that in mind. This is a great hobby shared by alot of friendly people. I agree with what was said before, Give your shop a chance to make a deal with you but understand WHAT you're buying. Sometimes you're buying alot more than just that part or that car.....you're buying service,support and a genuine interest in the sport!! Now go out there and give the Hobby Shop guy a big hug !!!!

Last edited by Evoracer; 03-18-2003 at 07:29 AM.
Old 03-18-2003, 08:07 AM
Tech Regular

Gmain wants hugs? Dang.. thanks for the heads up
Old 03-19-2003, 02:01 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I choose to support my LHS for many reasons. They've always gone out of their way to get a part I need, they're helpful, they let me hang in the shop, and just some cool people to talk about whatever. Sure the prices aren't exactly the lowest compared to mail order but I would rather support the "little guys" rather than big companies. I feel we, as customers, should support them.

There are exceptions however. I'm talking about shops that don't give a rats ass about helping you or rude employees. There is one other hobby shop near me that has some of the lowest prices around but terrible employees that don't really do their job. Its a shame they're still in business only because of better pricing. Oh, another exception is if the hobby shop is too far, then thats ok.
Old 03-23-2003, 04:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally posted by Evoracer
This is actually a really good thread.. I hope alot of folks take a look at it and come away with a better understanding of what they're ACTUALLY paying for when they use the LHS and why the shops desperately need them as customers.
My 2 cents worth. I am just starting a shop that specializes in RC Cars. I'm also investing in the necessary equipment to operate a racing program. It still amazes me that the biggest distributors of hobby products are also our biggest competitors!! I won't mention their names but you've all seen them with full page ads in all the magazines. How many of you know this?? Can you imagine how hard it is for a small company to compete against a company with millions of dollars at it's disposal?? And who makes it easy for them to do this??........You Do !!! Everytime you buy from them it's a slap in the face to the LHS who has to buy the product from them in order to sell it locally.I commend and support ANY distributor that doesn't compete against their dealers. Another fact...Many manufacturers WILL NOT sell direct to a hobby shop!! They only sell to the distributor and then we have to buy from them. Everytime you see the words" distributed exclusively by *****"... ask yourself , " So if this company is the distributor,why are they also trying to sell it to me??" In a perfect and fair world a distributor would not compete against his dealer customers. Last but not least.......the next time you show up at the track your LHS invested in, clip in the transponder that your LHS invested in,step on to the drivers stand they invested in and listen to the track director who probably volunteered his/her time...ask yourself.....Is this worth the extra few bucks this shop is charging ??? If you don't think it is then you might as well be running that nice new car of yours in the driveway because when the shop closes down so does the track. Next time you buy from mail order or a shop that doesn't support any kind of racing,keep that in mind. This is a great hobby shared by alot of friendly people. I agree with what was said before, Give your shop a chance to make a deal with you but understand WHAT you're buying. Sometimes you're buying alot more than just that part or that car.....you're buying service,support and a genuine interest in the sport!! Now go out there and give the Hobby Shop guy a big hug !!!!

Dino Has a really good point... .......Well except for the Big Hug
-Dave
Old 03-23-2003, 08:18 PM
Tech Adept

My problem with my local shops is selection. I have no problem paying a bit more for somthing I can get that day, what can I say I am impatient The problem is they very seldom have what I am looking for and I get the usual line "We don't have it but we can order it"...yep so can I and I'll get it at a better price. Its seems to me that these shops need to play to their strong point..Having the item you want right there where you can look at it, touch it and if the shop owner knows you really well taste it If this was the case I would do my buisness with them everytime.

Matt
Old 03-23-2003, 08:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Today was an interesting day for me, I drove all the way to Toronto with a buddy to buy a very nice Tamiya EvoII so I can do some TCS races up here, and in the process of bench racing, I remembered that I needed some tools, so I asked the guy I was buying the car from if there was a local hobby shop that was close by. So, after getting lost, we finally found this place hidden in the back of a very large mall. I could not believe how helpful this gentleman was, and how good his prices were on most things. The store could not have been more than 500 square feet, yet his selection of parts was quite vast. All I wanted was a set of imperial hardened hex drivers, and walked out of there with a K factory centax clutch and a whole lot more, more than my LHS would even dream of selling.
The beauty thing is, is that this store is only 10 mins away from what I consider my home track.
I think I just added a new fav hobby shop to my list.
Even though the shop in my home town is 4x bigger, it doesnt have half the selection, or service that this man had.
But I did find out one bad thing....that about a month ago, all of his high end equipment was stolen from his shop...so paying 15 bucks more for that centax felt good knowing I was helping out a shop I will be frequenting this summer.
Old 03-31-2003, 04:05 PM
Tech Adept

I'd support my local shop because " ebay might not sell you what they say they will. Another thing is support. I support you, you support me. Also, prices will go up at the store." [ Quoted from Craig Balls, owner of Xtreme Hobbies, Gillette, Wyoming.] My local LHS is really nice to everybody and has a lot of patience. I've kept them 15 min. after closing time choosing what car I want and they didn't mind. Why not support one of your fellow racers, rather than someone you don't know that you can trust?
Old 03-31-2003, 06:09 PM
Tech Addict

Here is another one, walk into your LHS and purchase the item without trying to capitalize on everything you purchase. Do you go to a book store and try to haggle? BTW I have owned a hobby shop / track and I have seen people not purchase a $20 part because they can get it online for $15.

Personally I think it is all the bargin shoppers that are the reason why shops don't carry all the parts on the spot and can't give that good of special deals. Because everyone wants a super deal, the shop slowly depletes its revenue because either no one buys from the store or what they do sell is so discounted just to get it off the shelves that they can't afford to stock anymore. The only way to make it as a shop is to stackem high and sellem low, unfortunately majority of mom and pop shops can't afford to do that.
Old 04-01-2003, 06:34 AM
Tech Initiate

It still amazes me that the biggest distributors of hobby products are also our biggest competitors!! I won't mention their names but you've all seen them with full page ads in all the magazines.
I will. Tower Hobbies is the showroom for Great Planes Model Distributors for example. Horizon Hobby Distributors also sells online, but they are better about it then Great Planes IMO. Most of the time, items in the ads are the same price or just a little more then it costs the shop to get them.
You have to remember the $20 profit that a LHS makes on a kit has to pay for the shipping to get it there, the guy who has to check it in and put it on the shelf, and the guy who checks you out at the register for it. Thats just the upfront stuff. What about the cost for building rent, utilities, and more. There's more then what the customer see's. I know this because I was the R/C department manager at one of the LHS's for 3 years and had to take care of all the ordering. Just think what it would be like when you need a gallon of nitro and your LHS went out of business, so now your stuck buying a case online (because it costs so much to ship a gallon due to hazmat), and paying hazmat charges on top of that to have it shipped to you. I am not saying you have to get everything from your LHS, just as much as you can. Like said before, the small parts help the shops the most. They can sell you $40 in parts, and make as much as they did selling you the $250 kit. Its a cut throut hobby for the people who make a living at it.
Someone made the remark that their LHS didn't carry much at all. Ever made suggestions to them? We have a new LHS that opened up last year, and to help them out I went to a couple local tracks and took notes on how many people ran what for vehicles. That helped them get an idea of what they needed to stock. Our area for example, electric and nitro off-road, along with electric touring are most popular for racing. Back yard bashers of course ran T and E Maxx's for the most part. Now we have a shop that sells most of what the racers need, and the backyard bashers have parts as well. Note brands as well. Like we have Associated, Losi, HPI and Traxxas for the main lineup. So they stock most of the parts for those vehicles. Just an idea.
Old 04-01-2003, 06:45 AM
Tech Initiate

I like to shop online and then go to the lhs and have them order it. Our track hobbyshop doesn't carry a lot of parts, just the stuff that breaks commonly during a race. They aren't open on sundays, when we race, but will open up to get you replacements if you break! I didn't know they make more on small stuff, I spend 50 a week in there ,easily! My wife bought me the truck online for christmas, now I don't feel guilty about that anymore!
Old 06-22-2003, 11:23 AM
Tech Addict

its nice to hear that so many people are supporting there LHS
but im just as guilty as the next guy for wanting a great deal and getting it online.

but now that my friend and i have opened our own hobby shop im hoping more people will support there LHS.

if everyone keeps buying online then most all of the LHS's will go out of business.
we have been open for 3 months and neither of us has taken any money for ourselves yet. everything keeps going back into the business for more inventory and track improvements.

we do offer great deals on everything we sell, and sometimes even meeting or beating online prices.

but what cracks me up the most is someone coming in and wants to dicker about pricing! i like to ask them if they go into Walmart or McDonalds and try to negotiate about the price of clothing or food?

sure everyone wants a good deal, but if the LHS closes up your going to have a lot of fun trying to send your stuff back to stormer or tower and see if they will work on your vehicle for you! LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.