R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   BEST SPEED CONTROLS (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/144569-best-speed-controls.html)

Howlow 01-14-2007 11:55 AM

BEST SPEED CONTROLS

I'm looking to get a new speed control for offroad racing and can't decide what to get. I'm wonder if I should go with one of the speed controls that run brush and brushless togather. I know lrp makes one and Novak but are the so new that I'm affraid that they might not have the bugs worked out yet. Does anyone have experience with either of these speed controls.

annie_himself 01-14-2007 01:10 PM

I use a Novak GTX, can you tell me how Novak is new? Many people use their GTB with success.

Howlow 01-14-2007 01:43 PM

What I mean by new is the speed controls with brushless and brushed all in one speed control.

Drift_Buggy 01-14-2007 01:46 PM

Go with Novak :cool:

Cheers

annie_himself 01-14-2007 09:22 PM

Those aren't new either. Go with the GTB or the Sphere.

mattnin 01-15-2007 05:24 AM

The mamba max also runs sensorless brushless motors and no limit on brushed motors.

Cain 01-15-2007 08:35 AM

I would say that you should keep in mind what you plan to put the speed control into. So if its something where space is tight, you will want the smallest of the dual speed controls so it will fit. I think the mamba system is one of the bigger ones from what I understand but could be wrong.

Right now if I was looking, the GTB would be one on the top of my list as it appears to be a good unit and has some time on it to work out the kinks as well. The LRP is probably good too, but I haven't had really good success with there other speed controls in the quantum series so for me personally they would be a close second.

I have always been a tekin fan so if its available in the timeframe you need and you like tekin, you may want to look into that one as well. Tekin has excellent customer service, so if there are any first run issues, they should be straightened out no problem.

Good luck on whatever you choose.

Hemi6677 01-15-2007 09:36 AM

I'm currently using a Novak GTB running brushed stock motors and so far I love it. Very easy to program and no issues so far!

Although they are higher in price go ahead and spend the money on a good ESC that will run both brushed and brushless.

Howlow 01-15-2007 12:53 PM

I'm planning on running stock truck and mod truck with the speed controller. With mod truck at first I will be using brushed motors but may switched to brushless. What brushless motor's are people using in offroad mod truck?

David Alberico 01-15-2007 01:08 PM

Tekin has a nice line up of ESC's

Pierre-Olivier 01-15-2007 01:14 PM

Castle Creation Mamba!!!!

cut-off!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thedoc329 01-15-2007 03:19 PM

www.teamtekin.com

no matter what tekin esc u may go with, it is by far the easiest to adjust to track conditions/personal preference in my opinion. the 1/10th brushless system should be out within the month, and the customer support is also the best i have seen, but u shouldnt need them unless something tragic happens ie; hook up batts. backwords

Paul_Sinclair 01-16-2007 07:55 AM

I just moved this past weekend from running the GTX and V2 mod motors to the GTB and brushless, and my experience with the Novak stuff has been great so far. The GTB is a little larger, but it worked flawlessly all weekend and provided great power. I ran profile 3 with drag brake setting 3 and it felt pretty close (not exactly) to what I was used to driving brushed motors.

In off-road mod truck I'd probably run a 6.5 brushless motor. If it was a slippery track, I'd slow it down to a 7.5. With the 6.5, I'd start with an 18 or 19 tooth pinion and just make sure to check the temps for the first few runs.

Hope that helps!

Frank Root 01-16-2007 01:17 PM

LRP = Results, but problems by average users.
Novak = Average users love it, no results yet.

Catch 22.

jbrow1 01-16-2007 01:27 PM

My favorite speed brushed speed control is the LRP Quantum 2. It's tiny and fits in anything nicely.

In my T4 I've been running the novak gtb brushless/brushed speed control with a brushless motor. Had it all this summer and never a problem. I've never ran it with a brushed motor, and was told by a buddy that has to be careful when switching to the brushed program as it can blow it up and the instructions are not very clear. I've not looked to actually see how unclear they are.