R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   engine life? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/144417-engine-life.html)

t-ray 01-13-2007 09:17 AM

engine life?

how long does the average big block nitro engine last?

AreCee 01-13-2007 11:06 AM

Depends on what you do with it and how abusive you are. They can last from a few minutes to several gallons of fuel. On the average, about 5 to 6 gallons.

t-ray 01-13-2007 03:37 PM

thanx

t-ray 01-14-2007 08:40 AM

once your engine life runs out do you have to replace the whole engine or just replace it? (used to car engines where you just rebuild)

Nitroaddicts 01-14-2007 08:44 AM

you can just do a piston sleeve rebuild. very easy. :D

RBMike 01-15-2007 08:27 AM

If you tune your motor correctly and keep it clean (outside & inside), they can last much longer. It is more likley you will wear out the rod or a bearing before a piston & sleeve. It also depends on the quality of engine (& fuel) you start with. I have many old RB's and I have only bought 1 piston/sleeve set ever (lost aircleaner). I have bought a few rods & more front bearings than anything else. I run my cars at least 3 out of 4 weekends year round and have WAY more than 10 gallons thru each of the 4 motors I currently run (all RB's). My newest motor is more than 2 years old.

t-ray 01-15-2007 11:05 AM

ok i just didnt know. i didnt want to have to buy a new motor every season

davo798 01-17-2007 06:08 PM

if you are on a budget, when the piston and sleeve wears out you can get them pinched and you should be able to get another 3 gallons out of them and it only cost $20.

pitdog 01-20-2007 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by RBMike
If you tune your motor correctly and keep it clean (outside & inside), they can last much longer. It is more likley you will wear out the rod or a bearing before a piston & sleeve. It also depends on the quality of engine (& fuel) you start with. I have many old RB's and I have only bought 1 piston/sleeve set ever (lost aircleaner). I have bought a few rods & more front bearings than anything else. I run my cars at least 3 out of 4 weekends year round and have WAY more than 10 gallons thru each of the 4 motors I currently run (all RB's). My newest motor is more than 2 years old.

hi rbmike i like how much pride and care you have for your engines im currently trying to decide on a brand that i can commit to and you have me favoring the rb concepts i`ve got a hyper mach 21 and a ninja bo1 (broken crank)and lately a os v-spec whitch rb do you prefer ws7 3 or c6bb for short to medium technical tracks her in queensland also what pipe and fuel do you reccomend

t-ray 01-20-2007 04:44 PM

how many times can i get them pinched??