R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-12-2007, 08:27 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Considering some OFNA/CEN Buggies

I'm a newb to RC Tech, so hello!

I'm on a hunt for a new 1/8 scale RTR. I've have been reading around and it seams that I may be leaning towards a new OFNA buggy. I've litsted several RTR buggies/truggies below.
I UNDERSTAND that there may be better buggies that cost more money and may save me in the long run. But I like to start middle of the road and upgrade. To me that's half the fun and helps me learn the car. These are the ones I'm looking at:

OFNA

HYPER 7 RTR - $259.95 SHIPPED
ULTRA COMP 2 RTR - $279.95 SHIPPED
RAVAGER RTR - $329.95 SHIPPED
HYPER 7 PBS RTR - $339.95 SHIPPED
Mutilator RTR - $389.95 - Shipped

CEN

MATRIX RTR - $400 SHIPPED

Kyosho

Inferno Sports 3 RTR - $369.95 SHIPPED
Inferno Sports MP7.5 Sports 2 - $349.95 Shipped
Inferno ST US Sports Ready Set - $369.95 Shipped

Hot Bodies

Lightning Stadium RR RTR - $379.95

This will be my first buggy/truggy, my first nitro car. I wan't something that I can mess around with that may potentially be made race ready if I decide to get in to racing. But I have a few questions.

1. I'm assuming since the motors are bigger, the use more fuel. Is it significantly more?

2. What is typcially the largest motor allowed for buggy/truggy racing?

3. I can afford all the below, but $400 really is my cap. Please advise what the best choice would be for someone that primarily wants to mess around with friends but may contemplate club or sanctioned racing in the future.

Thanks for all your input!
TxCZShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:17 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

for buggy the largest engine is 21, for truggy if the track uses roar or pro series rules, the largest is 28, but alot of club level tracks let you run anything in truggy,
bobf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:33 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 201 (100%+)

out of the buggies that you listed i would have to say the CEN. i have raced with these and they are excellent buggies.

Southern Onroad F1 Champion.. F109
jspurgin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:35 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to annie_himself

CEN Matrix
annie_himself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:46 AM   #5
Tech Adept

Yikes, the only two that meat .21 restriction are the Hyper 7 RTR and MP7.5 Sports II. Why do the manufacturers do that if these are geared to racing? Or would I have to change the motor regardless of what came stock? Are the stock .21s in the Ofna or Kyosho race worthy?

Might be better off with truggy....

Are the Inferno ST US Sports Ready Set, Lightning Stadium RR, and OFNA Mutilator true Truggies?
Old 01-12-2007, 11:13 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

i'm not sure about roar rules or pro series rules, but most tracks will let you run the RTR engine, but if you buy something else, you have to get a 21, you can't put say a OS 30 in a buggy,

I know its a little over the $400 mark, but I would look at the CEN matrix TR if you move more towards truggy, IMO its the best equiped RTR on the market,
bobf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 11:40 AM   #7
Tech Adept

Bobf24: Thanks for the info and advise. I'll look into it. I've sold some T-Maxx parts and an Electric Rustler
so I can probably stretch my budget some.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:35 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Don't over look the Jammin Buggy.It also comes in a RTR version. And all the parts on the FTE version will fit if you want to upgrade as needed in the future.
Jammin"145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 01:20 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Yeah, I know, but the Jammin is more than I wanted to spend.

Thanks though
Old 01-12-2007, 01:32 PM   #10
Tech Apprentice

my friend got a matrix he said his flys. well that just my 2 cents
t-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 05:19 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

First of all, don't bother cheaping out because you WILL end up spending more in the end, especially if you want to race. If you really do want to race do not waste your hard earned money on a cheap RTR. Personally I would recommend the Losi 8ight RTR if you have to do the RTR thing. The buggy I would highly recommend getting is the Xray XB8R, with a basic FM radio, decent servos, and an OS VG motor. The XB8R is very strong out of the box (10x that of a RTR Ofna), the quality is outstanding, and it can be upgraded to full TQ status (not that it needs to be).

If you buy a cheap RTR I garuntee you will buy these things to make it competive/reliable (these are generally minimum prices):
Servos, steering and throttle: $150
Radio, FM computer: $150
Engine, .21 non pull racing: $280 (unless you get an OS VG)
Pipe, good one piece: $60

So that comes to $640. At this point you will be kicking yourself for not buying a kit, and I didn't even factor in the insanely high cost of upgrades into that. Upgrade shock towers, driveshafts, clutch, etc can easily run you over $250. So just do yourself a favor and spend a thousand up front and very little in the next year.

And yes I have seen this happen countless times, being a racer, and an employee at a hobby shop. Cheap RTR's are a waste of money if you like to race (unless your club is not competitive at all/very small).

Also do not buy any of those Ofna buggies you listed they are all crap and outdated. Only the Hyper 8 and Jammin X1CR are good Ofna buggies.

As far as truggies go if you want RTR you only have 2 choices, the Jammin X1CRT or the Hotbodies LSP (IMO). Both are surprisingly good for RTR cars. The Jammin really only needs a new transmitter/reciever and aluminum chassis braces to be competitive (I've seen it happen!).

Thats my opinion on the matter.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:13 PM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to alana07

TxCZShooter,
go with what wheelnut said, its quite true. most hobbyshop staff aren't that honest, they'll want to empty your pockets in the shortest possible time, but wheelnut is the exception though...
those ofna buggies on your list, dont even consider them any longer as all of them are outdated models. you cant go wrong with the x1cr or hyper 8. but most importantly get which ever car that you can find parts locally and easily. my $0.0002....
Old 01-12-2007, 07:50 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Trust me, I understand what both of you are saying. But that kind of money is just not possible. Even if I saved it I'd get divorced over spending that much on a car like this at once. So I have to work with what I've got.

So with that being said with a $400 ish cap, what's the best I can do? Should I maybe stick with 10th scale?
Old 01-12-2007, 08:52 PM   #14
Tech Adept

On second thought, I can probably get away with spending a little extra and going with the Hot Bodies LSP RTR. Anyone know how these handle?
Old 01-12-2007, 08:57 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

You may check out the Sport Works Turmoil, I know we had a sportsman driver at our track this last year running one, and seemed to be very happy with it. And the car seems to be pretty stout for what I saw on the track, and looking at the car up close.

I'm personally running a CEN Matrix pro this year and have heard nothing but good about them. And I know the RTR has all the same features, just made with lesser grade components, as with most RTR's. The only thing with the CEN cars is they use LSD (limited slip diff) style diffs, instaed of the normal pin style diff. So your diff setups will be alot different than alot of other cars, like a Mugen or X-Ray. So you may have trouble finding some one to help out with setups unless you have other drivers with CEN cars at your track.
porter is offline   Reply With Quote