Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Considering some OFNA/CEN Buggies >

Considering some OFNA/CEN Buggies

Considering some OFNA/CEN Buggies

Old 01-12-2007, 08:00 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks Porter, definately something to keep in mind.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

txCZshooter - let me give you my .02, i currently run both the CEN pro buggy and the CEN Arena TR. The matrix rtr can be made to a racer very easily. you don't have to have the carbon fiber and upgrade alum. chassis braces, and shock towers. i would suggest the alum. knuckles though. the buggy handles great. But i think the best deal out there getting into nitro is the matrix arena tr rtr, go to cenracing.com and check it out. i don't think there is a better bargin in the rtr class than this. Cen buggys are known for there durability. i ran mugen and the losi 8, i can afforfd to run what i wan't, the cen is very underated, FOR NOW!

jlo
Old 01-12-2007, 08:21 PM
Tech Adept

jlo8864: Thanks for the upbeat response. That's great to know. I'm putting the Cen Matrix RTR back on my list alont witht he Hot Bodies LSP.

I'll check out the CEN Matrix Arena.

Tx
Old 01-13-2007, 11:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

TxCZShooter- i ran a hot bodies lsp last year in the pro series southern div. you need about 300.00 - 400.00 in extras to make it work right. i then switched to the mugen mbx5t great truck, won the futaba nitro challenge with that truck. i just recently went to the CEN arena, from what i can tell, as good as mugen , but 100.00 less, it woould be 200.00 less, but you have to buy the body, wheels and tires. do you a a big truggy class in your area, you need to consider this also. if you have to pick a rtr buggy i would go CEN then jammin. if you go rtr truggy, no boubt CEN.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Buy the best you possibly can, and if you cant , then save up some more money. We've all been down that road, don't want to spend too much money up front, but in the end you spend more. Alot more. If you plan on racing, you'd better get a part time job. 1/8 buggies go through tires, fuel, glow plugs, and clutches. And as the old saying goes, " you get what you pay for". Those rtr's are ok for bashing, but like someone said, you'll dump twice as much into upgrades if you plan to race.

Another option is to pick up a good quality, lightly used car and equipment off of here.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

you buy cheap, you buy twice...
Old 01-14-2007, 07:52 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Keep in mind however how much is what you really need to race and how much is fluff. I can remember how many times you would see guys show up at the track with the tricked out all option vehicle and get smoked by a guy with the basic setup. Its how you drive, not how fast you spend your cash.

Prime example, not too long ago if I recall correctly Billy Easton won the worlds using a pretty much stock Associated B4. Not some Factory team all option monster, but a pretty much stock version. Its not like he couldn't get one with all the bells and wistles.

Now for what you had listed, I have a new CEN Matrix RTR version sitting here that I am going to do a rebuild on over the winter, and out of the box its pretty much comes with all you need even if you went to buy better stuff as far electronics goes to get started:

- Airtronics MX-3 FM radio system
- 144oz metal gear servos for throttle AND steering

As for pipe and .21 sized engine, starting out, go with whats in the vehicle as long as the track lets you run it no need to buy the $300 engine at this time. will it really make you any faster? NO. Your driving ability will and starting out you really don't need all that.

As for things to buy right away on the CEN, only thing I would probably get is the RGX body as it fits better and its nice to have a custom body and the CNC steering knuckles or buy off of someone else spare stock units. The parts on the vehicle are quite beefy and it takes a beating and comes back for more. Also, from what I have been hearing its also compatible with Kyosho parts too, especially the diff area if you don't like the LSD diffs. They will also be coming out with regular style ones too. the main thing with the diffs I have heard is to run them in with a hand drill for about 30 minutes or so to break them in and go with thinner oil. Square setups like 3k-3k-3k have been popular from what I have heard.

As for parts support, if your LHS can order from Horizon, you can get CEN parts locally no problem.

CEN also is serious about there Matrix vehicles as far as racing and have excellent support too.

The thing about ofna vehicles is that you get electronics that are pretty much throw aways right away. So the lower price point in the end really isn't all that good. The vehicles may be good like the Jammin series or Hyper 8, but you have to buy the better electronic stuff right away then if you want to be happy with the vehicle.

As for the hotbodies LSP, the main complaint I heard about was chassis flex issues. How much that was to correct, not sure.

As for the Losi 8ight RTR, it appears to be a nice buggy, but I really don't like how they put the Z270 servo for throttle duties. I had that setup on my LST and it was not strong enough to fight the throttle return spring and was soon dead. And from a few reviews I have read that is what is happening to the servo in the RTR. They should have just went 590M's all around. The spektrum radio however is excellent.

I would say that if you are wanting a similar truggy and buggy and don't want to spend alot and still get good stuff with it, the CEN Matrix buggy and truggy RTR's offer alot for the money.

One other thing, with all the vehicles listed I believe, there is still support stuff you will probably need to buy like fuel bottles, receiver packs, glow starter, etc. Also don't forget fuel ( I really like Byrons ). Some vehicles have this with them, others don't. See what works out as the better deal as far as what you are getting.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:53 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Cain
Keep in mind however how much is what you really need to race and how much is fluff. I can remember how many times you would see guys show up at the track with the tricked out all option vehicle and get smoked by a guy with the basic setup. Its how you drive, not how fast you spend your cash.

Prime example, not too long ago if I recall correctly Billy Easton won the worlds using a pretty much stock Associated B4. Not some Factory team all option monster, but a pretty much stock version. Its not like he couldn't get one with all the bells and wistles.

Now for what you had listed, I have a new CEN Matrix RTR version sitting here that I am going to do a rebuild on over the winter, and out of the box its pretty much comes with all you need even if you went to buy better stuff as far electronics goes to get started:

- Airtronics MX-3 FM radio system
- 144oz metal gear servos for throttle AND steering

As for pipe and .21 sized engine, starting out, go with whats in the vehicle as long as the track lets you run it no need to buy the $300 engine at this time. will it really make you any faster? NO. Your driving ability will and starting out you really don't need all that.

As for things to buy right away on the CEN, only thing I would probably get is the RGX body as it fits better and its nice to have a custom body and the CNC steering knuckles or buy off of someone else spare stock units. The parts on the vehicle are quite beefy and it takes a beating and comes back for more. Also, from what I have been hearing its also compatible with Kyosho parts too, especially the diff area if you don't like the LSD diffs. They will also be coming out with regular style ones too. the main thing with the diffs I have heard is to run them in with a hand drill for about 30 minutes or so to break them in and go with thinner oil. Square setups like 3k-3k-3k have been popular from what I have heard.

As for parts support, if your LHS can order from Horizon, you can get CEN parts locally no problem.

CEN also is serious about there Matrix vehicles as far as racing and have excellent support too.

The thing about ofna vehicles is that you get electronics that are pretty much throw aways right away. So the lower price point in the end really isn't all that good. The vehicles may be good like the Jammin series or Hyper 8, but you have to buy the better electronic stuff right away then if you want to be happy with the vehicle.

As for the hotbodies LSP, the main complaint I heard about was chassis flex issues. How much that was to correct, not sure.

As for the Losi 8ight RTR, it appears to be a nice buggy, but I really don't like how they put the Z270 servo for throttle duties. I had that setup on my LST and it was not strong enough to fight the throttle return spring and was soon dead. And from a few reviews I have read that is what is happening to the servo in the RTR. They should have just went 590M's all around. The spektrum radio however is excellent.

I would say that if you are wanting a similar truggy and buggy and don't want to spend alot and still get good stuff with it, the CEN Matrix buggy and truggy RTR's offer alot for the money.

One other thing, with all the vehicles listed I believe, there is still support stuff you will probably need to buy like fuel bottles, receiver packs, glow starter, etc. Also don't forget fuel ( I really like Byrons ). Some vehicles have this with them, others don't. See what works out as the better deal as far as what you are getting.
Cain,

This has by far been the most helpful post. I truely appreciate the time and effort you took to type all that because that's exactly what I wanted to know. The two tracks closest to where I live are primarily club level. They do have some sanctioned "national" races, but most of it is on-road. Therefore I think the CEN would be perfect. I'm pretty much sold on the Matrix Buggy.

CEN is selling refurbs for $300 with thier new Skyion DSX radio system and from what I've heard of their customer satisfaction and great support I doubt it seems like a great deal.

CEN Matrix Buggy Refurbished

Anyone see any major concern if the motors haven't been run? This is what the Site says:

"Matrix RTR (refurbished) is equipped with Skyion DSX radio system. Diff / Shock leaks have been identified and restored to factory default setting. Signs of assembly/disassembly might be visible. Engine has never been ran. Factory warranty still applies."
Old 01-14-2007, 10:13 AM
Tech Legend

Not a problem. I don't discount what anyone has said here, everyone is coming from there perspective of what worked best for them and there is merit to what people are saying, you just have to take from it what will best work for your current situation. And the main thing is that overall, we gain another RC racer in you!

Keep in mind that the Skyion system I believe is not FM but AM. still a nice radio however and I think the newer vehicles are all coming with the Skyion system.

Does CEN still have that trade in offer going on as well?

I would say however that even with a difference of radio, thats still a great price and I think shipping is only like 16 dollars.

If you do go with that deal, give CEN a call and ask them if the vehicle has:

1. Uppdated outdrive cups
2. Updated carburator on the engine
3. Updated spur gear

Also I think by "engine never ran" that they mean that it is still new, which is what you want. Give them a call and have them confirm just in case.

I think those were the items they updated on the newer matrix RTRs. For mine they couldn't be sure other than the spur so they just sent me a good collection of stuff, like 8 pairs of outdrive cups and a whole new carberator! Excellent customer service, and they were more than happy to answer my questions.

I would recommend however that right away, see about getting a different set of tires and wheels more track specific and sell the others on ebay or the like before you run them. Or, you can always use them as break-in tires.

Also when using the kit engine if you find that you are having trouble keeping the right tune, look into getting a more standard 1/8 scale air filter as there is a nice review on RC Universe (I had this guys exact Matrix that I got from him initially with the upgrades) that describes this issue.

And I also recommend that regardless of your skill level, its a good thing to give the vehicle a nice dissassemble and rebuild so you know how everything goes together, can check and make sure things that should be loctite were. You will probably need to do this anyway to run in the diffs if you go with what I was told to do too. To me at least, I really enjoy building kits as much as running them.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ditto here on what Wheelnutt said.

I wish I'd have followed that advice when I got started into the sport. I didn't, and I've probably spent 3K easy over 2.5 years and 3 buggies...

Save your money up and buy someone's race kit all at once (Ebay or whatever). Let your wife know in advance that you will be setting aside a set amount of money each month to buy someone's race kit.

Old 01-16-2007, 11:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Cain, YES! the trade in offer is still on. I recently emailed them and got a quick reply, also stated that they will be adding the Arena TR to that soon
Old 01-16-2007, 11:38 AM
Tech Adept

I'm actually okay with spending more in the long run. It's not going to be that much more, certainly not double or even 50% more.

I've already got a great deal on a brand new Matrix RTR. And you
don't have to have a $300 radio believe it or not. The kit comes
with good hardware, strong servos. I'll need some spares, fuel,
battery pack, etc. And,if I ever decide I want to race THEN, I can
look in to more serious upgrades. My major concern would be a
motor, (and not world class either, especially to start out in
sportsman) and some strength upgrades

But as I said in the begining, I just want to mess around with the ability to race later if I want.

Thanks for everyone's input. Individual experiences certainly have their merit. Just may not fit everyone's situation
Old 01-16-2007, 11:42 AM
Tech Adept

I can't get them to reply to my email. I have tried [email protected] and [email protected]. No reply.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:01 AM
Tech Legend

Give them a call. Try emailing Ken as that is who I worked with.

For an engine I was in the same boat, and after reading some good things about it and figured it would make a good first engine I went with the Sportwerks .21 Pro . For the money I paid (about 135 new) it should be enough for what i need.

I think OS makes a pretty nice sport level engine too that only needs a bigger heatsink which you can buy aftermarket.