R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-11-2007, 03:42 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default interested in 1/8 buggy racing and was wondering what brand to get?

im interested in 1/8 and have a little budget (around $300 give or take) and found 3 models im looking at:

1. 1/8 hurricane XL. i like this buggy because the motor is .21 and is good because thats the motor limit for close tracks.

2. 1/8 xtm X-terminator 2. i like this buggy because i have not heard of much bad from it. people say it's durable and good for a starter buggy. comes with a 24.7 motor which is fine, but would like a .21 (motor is last to consider).

3. 1/8 ofna ravager. haven't done much research on it but will do later.

some factors to consider:

i will replace the radio (controller) system with my spectrum. Also will replace the stearing servo with a nice hitech one. wheels might be replaced before real racing or bashing. Also parts(as far as my LHS having them) are not a huge factory but will be considerd. so i'll probably order parts of internet.

lmk whats the best bang for your buck. im leaning towards xtm and ofna. not much with the hurricane.

lmk. thanks!
Old 01-11-2007, 04:21 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kcdzim

you seem to like losi already, have you considered the RTR 8ight? It doesn't exactly suck, and you could easily resell the spectrum system it comes with.
Kcdzim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 06:46 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If you go used instead of brand new, you can afford a much better car. I've seen some great deals on some OFNA jammin's and some MUGEN MBX5'S ON HERE!

In the long run, a used car will actually allow you to save money in other areas. such as buying a new motor!

I bought a new ready to run jammin when they first came out, seemed like a good idea, but by the time I sold it, I spent twice as much upgrading it!

Last year I got ahold of a used Xray XB8 with an RB s7 engine, and it nearly cost 1/3 of what the new RTR cost me. Plus I did alot better with better equipment, who cares if it's not new, with proper maintainance it doesn't matter!
Old 01-11-2007, 07:55 PM   #4
Tech Master

thanks for the info and help guys. losi eight does sound like a good buggy and will look in depth in the buggy.

reason why i didn't think about going used was because eventually, parts tend to wear, making the car "shakier". for i.e. i bought a used xxx-bk2 not to long ago, which i really like, but when i looked into it a little further, the car's hubs were worn and made the wheels shake more. yes, it was cheaper than buying a new one, but in the long run fixing all those parts could have gottin spendie. but i will look and see whats selling. thanks.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:55 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

the losi 8 would be my first suggestion, but if you cant afford that sportwerks turmoil is also a very good buggy, and tough too, cause if it can stand me its pretty tough and it handles like a dream too.
nitroveins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 12:13 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I would try and save up abit more than $300 and get the Jammin X1 RTR
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/3175
Drift_Buggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 12:20 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You should also check out the duratrax raze. its a nice little buggy, and its 300$ good bang for the buck i have it and love it, i havent broken a part on it yet, and bash the hell out of it.
jayjay51987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 09:06 AM   #8
Tech Apprentice

i 2nd the raze i have one. ive never broken anyting on it. ive jumped it of a bmx ramp that had three brick under it to make it higher and it didnt even hurt it. alot of people dont like duratrax but thee raze has great part support, its strong, its fast, and its a good setup great for a starter. im planning to take the engine pipe and elctronics off and put them on a hyper 8 (as soon as i get the money) because it comes with alot of good stuff.
t-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 10:59 PM   #9
Tech Master

thanks for the replys.

im going to go with something made by ofna. my LHS has a good supply of parts for ofna made cars and even tho its not really a factor (parts supply at LHS), ofna is still a good brand. either a 9.5 car or ravager.