R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-09-2007, 09:57 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Jammin FTE:Clutch questions.need some answers

hey guys,

i got a jammin FTE.I need a whole new clutch setup.I went to the local hobbyshop today and told them I needed a 38mm flywheel.They told me that it all depends on the car that you have,and said that no 38mm flywheel will fit.they also said it depend on the collet on the shaft.Is this rite?I also said that I needed a clutch nut,standard.they told me they needed the diameter of the shaft.Is this rite?

Also,and inside on the works clutch?Im going to jst buy that.Will it werks on the jammin?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXNKR2&P=ML

I herd that the nut comes loose,even with threadlock..anyone confirm this?THANKS!!

P.S.-if it matters,I have a ninja bo1

Last edited by wcairsoft3r; 01-09-2007 at 10:16 PM.
wcairsoft3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 10:54 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcairsoft3r
hey guys,

i got a jammin FTE.I need a whole new clutch setup.I went to the local hobbyshop today and told them I needed a 38mm flywheel.They told me that it all depends on the car that you have,and said that no 38mm flywheel will fit.they also said it depend on the collet on the shaft.Is this rite?I also said that I needed a clutch nut,standard.they told me they needed the diameter of the shaft.Is this rite?

Also,and inside on the works clutch?Im going to jst buy that.Will it werks on the jammin?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXNKR2&P=ML

I herd that the nut comes loose,even with threadlock..anyone confirm this?THANKS!!

P.S.-if it matters,I have a ninja bo1
ive been told the nut on the werks comes loose also. someone told me to replace the nut with the 1;10th scale mugen clutch type spring retainer. and i was also told to slightly damage the thread so it grabs better.

the thread damagign idea seems a bit sus, but i can see how it might work. try using some sort of rubber cement on the clutch thread (small amount) this might help, i have never tryed this though so try at own risk!
basically the threads need to be filled up with something that minimises the vibrations and shakes the damn thing off!
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 11:38 PM   #3
Tech Adept

how bout some red thresad lock.Any link to the mugen part your talking about?
Old 01-09-2007, 11:43 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

I have run the Werks clutch for the last year, and it does not come loose if you build it clean. Just clean the nuts with some motor spray and then thread lock them good with some blue and it will never move on you. If you get the buggy clutch kit you will get the other 2 springs as well, also watch out when you goto buy the clutch and make sure it doesnt have roll pins in it. It should have shiny solid pins like the ones in the pic from tower, the rol pins come loose and screw a lot of stuff up. The only thing you will need is a flywheel collet, which should have been supplied with your kit, or your motor, if not just look up the part number in your manual it should be something around 10099 I think, most OFNA clutch parts are 10xxx. This is the werks clutch you want (#6501) it is the correct size for the Jammin, Werks also makes a smaller one for Xray so make sure not to get that one. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNKR0&P=7

BTW- The Werks clutch rocks, super smooth, hooks up good, and the shoes last a very very long time.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:55 AM   #5
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelNut
I have run the Werks clutch for the last year, and it does not come loose if you build it clean. Just clean the nuts with some motor spray and then thread lock them good with some blue and it will never move on you. If you get the buggy clutch kit you will get the other 2 springs as well, also watch out when you goto buy the clutch and make sure it doesnt have roll pins in it. It should have shiny solid pins like the ones in the pic from tower, the rol pins come loose and screw a lot of stuff up. The only thing you will need is a flywheel collet, which should have been supplied with your kit, or your motor, if not just look up the part number in your manual it should be something around 10099 I think, most OFNA clutch parts are 10xxx. This is the werks clutch you want (#6501) it is the correct size for the Jammin, Werks also makes a smaller one for Xray so make sure not to get that one. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNKR0&P=7

BTW- The Werks clutch rocks, super smooth, hooks up good, and the shoes last a very very long time.
thanks for the great info..but looking at the measurements,I cant tell the difference?maybe inner diameter?I do have some collets.I think i have two.Does it matter wat size?One came with the motor,other came off a mugen.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:56 AM   #6
Tech Adept

also,what are roll pins?
Old 01-10-2007, 10:45 AM   #7
Tech Elite

All crankshaft/flywheel collets for big blocks have the same inner diameter, the only differences are the outer diameter and the angle of the taper. If you have two, see which one fits best and use that one.

Roll pins are basically just like solid pins, but made of a piece of steel rolled into a tube, so they are hollow and have a seam along one side. They are generally used in drivetrains of 1/10th cars since they dont fall out, and are strong enough for those applications.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:49 PM   #8
Tech Adept

ok thanks for clarifying it for me.

I read that theres a way to externally adjust the tension.Anyone kno how to do this?
Old 01-11-2007, 12:47 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Werks used to sell an externally adjustable clutch yes, but it was horrible. Absolutley impossible to actually adjust, plus you had to drill a hole in a piece of hardened steel (clutch bell, almost impossible to drill through). The regular hex nut adjustment is simple enough and its quite easy to use. I use a ball end 2.5mm allen wrench so I can take the motor out without having to remove the engine mount (dont have to reset gear mesh everytime) so taking out the motor is very quick. Then all you have to do is pop off the clutch bell, adjustment takes less than a minute. Start with the thinnest spring by the way.