Wiki Posts
Search

Trinity DPD Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 03:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default Trinity DPD Issue

I just got one of these, and for the life of me I cannot get the thing to consistently "see" my packs. I have redone all of my packs (Deans solder and 3.0 bars) on an Orion Jig, and I still can't get it to discharge them. I continue to get an error that basically says no battery is hooked up, or something of that nature, and after 3 attempts goes back to the cutoff screen. I don't really know how to solve this bcause the little prongs ALL contact the bars OR battery cell itself when I put it in the tray. Does anyone have any idea what I can try to do before I give up on it?

My packs are IB4200 cells.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:50 PM
Tech Rookie

turn the battery around so the positive side without a battery bar faces you
Old 01-09-2007, 05:26 PM
Tech Elite

I have it like that as it is, I will post a pic tonight of my batteries and it erroring.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Not sure

Not sure but......a slight scuff on the contacts might help detect batts more readily.
Mine does this rarely... sometime a slight wiggle of the locked batt causes it to be detected next time around. Be patinet, its good for the batts.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:09 PM
Tech Elite

Thats what it looks like, I can't be patient, it never works. That is individual cells as well.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:39 AM
Tech Initiate

I have the same issue....sometimes it wont read my packs, forget about my saddlepacks, doesn't read them either. Was going to e-mail Trinity. They brag about the secure contact,but I never have a problemwith my smart tray.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

Before knocking the product are you positive it's not 1 or more of your IB cells that may have shorted out as they aren't supposed to be discharged down that low, as the cell's voltage will go into the negative.

These cells are nowhere near as durable as the GP cells but they do have more voltage and power for the first 6-7 charges.

Check each cell with a DMV meter, each cell should read no less than 1.23v per cell when discharged and 1.45v when fully charged, if you are getting a figure lower than 1.23v then the cell is the problem.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:18 AM
Tech Elite

They are all brand new EXCEPT for the ones in the pics. I have 4 IB4200 packs and that 3800. None of them read, yet they all charge fine.

Its fine I sold it on Ebay anyway, Im not wasting my time on it and Trinity never even got back to me for assistance.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

I know you said you have sold it but did you select internal or external pack??

If it was set on external it would ask you to connect a pack even with one locked in the tray.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:35 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

I agree, don't be knocking the product when surely there's an explanation. I know many people including myself with one without fault.

Are the packs you're using even soldered together? The one in the pic doesn't appear to be. You need them to be connected or it won't work.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:58 AM
Tech Elite

Ok I'm not an idiot k? I soldered all of my packs, and then thinking it was my fault, redid each one two times and none of them still worked. It's no biggie, but evidently I'm not the only one with the issue.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

All my packs charge fine but they won't read in my DPD unless I have them in specific way. It says right on them that positive is top left/bottom right. I direct solder and my solder tabs have to be on the bottom, not on the top of the pack. They still face out though. If I put it in with the solder tabs up, it won't read. Flip them over to have the tabs on the bottom and it's fine.
Old 01-14-2007, 02:03 AM
Tech Initiate

I too am not an idiot. I have raced electric RC since '86 and understand electronics fine. I have tried everything to get them to read....EVERYTHING....It likes the side by side pack 95% of the time. Does not read my saddle packs at all. Contacts are all touching fine and have tried them both ways. All the cells are fine. I know others who have the same problem. I own two of these and they both do it. Not too pleased with them to be honest.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

I went ahead and purchased the Much More Discharger, a lot more expensive but I'm guessing it will actually work with my packs.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

One other thing I tried was taking an xato knife and just scraping away the top layer of solder fom the battery bars. Sometimes the flux can act like an insulator. Some sand paper would also work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.