Wiki Posts
Search

STS D21T & D21B

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 09:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default STS D21T & D21B

Just wondering if anyone has had experiance with either of these two engines? I've kinda looked around on a few forums and haven't seen a whole lot of bad things said about them.

Just would like to know what kinda life has been gotten from them. If there were any hardware issues (i.e. bearings, carb. ect.). And what your thoughts on race performance are. Also is there a big performance gain in the 21T from 21B. I know the "T" has a turbo head button compared to the "B" standard. Was there any other porting modifications done for better effeciancy or performance?

Thanks for any info
Old 12-18-2006, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

Nobody has any input about these engines
Old 12-19-2006, 01:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

check here for STS 21B full report.

im using one and i do the engine run-in(break-in) using WOT Josh Cyrul style!
Old 12-19-2006, 01:24 AM
Tech Champion

REGARDING STS 21T, i think Tabushi is the right person to explain it. He's so successful in many podium finish.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi Porter,

Im using STS offroad engines since March 2006 and im more than happy with them ...

Right now im using the .21T (green head one), and tested the .21B ... there is a good path of difference between the 2 engines, it all depends what you want to do with them ... the .21T its hand modified, silicone crankshaft filled, turbo head button ...

Tell us a little abou the application you want to test the STS engine out and we can help you out to choose the right one ...

JFC, thanks for your words ...

cya,
Old 12-19-2006, 05:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

the carb ball is smaller than regular (OS, Nova, RB carbs). so it falls off the link. my is collecting dust a good paper weight.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:30 PM
Tech Elite

Tabushi, I will be running on a 180x80 foot racing surface, with some tight sections but also some open sections (This is my home track and were I'll do 90% of my racing). Another track I'll be racing on has very tight layouts because it is much smaller in size, so I am still looking for an engine with some decent bottom end.

I ran an RB S5 last season for my first season ever running nitro, and it seemed to be a pretty good fit for our track but I felt the topend was lacking just a bit. I've been in the hobby for close to 15 years so please don't take me for a beginner I know my way around these cars pretty well. This will only be my second year with nitro, and I haven't been able to see or drive alot of engines, hence my questions.

Thanks guys

Oh also I see your linked to RacerNine are they good people to deal with. I was thinking of sending a resume?
Old 12-19-2006, 08:42 PM
Tech Champion

Tabushi, u deserve it.

porter: great that u got experience. i think you'll have no problem in nitro, eventhough only on your 2nd year nitro.
RB S5 is a good engine. should be at that price. but with that price, u can get like 2 or even 3 sts for our currency here. and our local hot driver(neighbor Singapore), he is if not always at the podium using the 21T. racing with international racers. I for one use only the 21B coz its sutiable for my small track and furthermore the 21T is way over powered for my style of driving .

what im saying here.. go ahead try. only then u know. u can invest in RB, whats STS pricing anyway, right? the worst case scenario.. as PIITB experience, be a paper weight.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Never had problems with the ball cup falling off or something ...

Go ahead and contact Ryan at www.racernine.com ... you will be more than happy with his service and pricing ...

cya,
Old 12-20-2006, 07:25 PM
Tech Elite

Cool, thanks guys I've still got a few months before our outdoor race program starts back up. I'm sure I'll flip back and forth between engine makes and models more than a couple times between now and then.

Was just curious about these engines and for the most part looks and sounds like they're just as good as anything else on the market.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:01 AM
EG1
Tech Regular

What glow plugs are recomended after break-in & what pipes have you guys tried?

I have a couple pipes, the 2 I'll try first will be the STS 0403 and the RB 2045.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:08 AM
Tech Champion

for the 21B, im using currently the o'donnell hot plug... i think the one with "777". forgot which one.. but i know its hot. or you can use the Nova Turbo long plug. hot also. dont use OS one... its short and will leak.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:37 AM
EG1
Tech Regular

I have some JP MOD OS plugs, Novarossi, RB and Odonnells, but they are all medium to cold for my 928 so I'll need to grab some hotter plugs.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:51 AM
Tech Champion

ok here they are... get either this plug. it works awesome with 21B. Mine with turbo head..so need turbo plug.
Attached Thumbnails STS D21T & D21B-odonnel77plug.gif   STS D21T & D21B-nova5tcplug.gif  
Old 01-05-2007, 05:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

i ran the D21T, my only complaint was the front bearings are rather cheap, I never had the ball cup pop off either, maybe your ball end is worn out? I'm not saying they arn't smaller, but when i used newer ball ends it has never come off, also for the turbo I would use a medium plug, a couple guys were running hot plugs, and they had pre-ignition problems, when they switched to the medium it worked alot better, and I've always used OS turbo plugs and they work perfect, never had a problem with them of any kind,

I got 3-4 gallons on mine before it needed a new piston & sleeve, but I didn't do any break in really, I ran half a tank slow, and then I was doing High speed runs down my driveway, so that would have shortened the life span by alot,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.