R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-09-2007, 01:58 PM   #16
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Try P&T hobbies, I know they have several of the braces on their wall. Check their website http://www.pnthobby.com/ and give them a call.
br93lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 02:12 PM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Dirt-Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyreman
Why bother with a associated front brace when the XXXBK2/XXXcr front brace fits fine
Cuz he's a noobie and an idiot. Told someone to go wank off ebay and here he is now, not only suggesting to go on ebay but ebay.uk? hahaha also he dont know shit.
Dirt-Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 02:26 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettsdad
ya i knew the part number, just can't find the part.....Any help with where to find one of these rare jewels? thanks chris
$1.45 at tower hobbies but isn't due till late january
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LX3173&P=7

Cheers
Drift_Buggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 02:28 PM   #19
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

got an associated one today at the LHS thanks for the help fellas.....I am new with my 4 wheeler (X-5) but i am loving it so far!
garrettsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 02:43 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexRacer
Doug,
When you come to Dallas you will see what guys have done to really help.
1-Put a B2,B3 front brace on it.Takes a lil cutting but not much at all.CURES the bulkhead issue.
2-Look on 4wdrc.com and buy Chazz's screws for the front spindles.They DO help.
3-Get the Penquin Shock Tower Kit.It does help.
4-Being you really ONLY use the 1st 2 holes on the rear shock tower on the TOP...Cut the other one's off and round off the edge.
The MORE that hangs off the easier it is to break.

When you move down here bring me a Dragon R/C B4 rear bulkhead with the extra camber hole.

Les
What is the penquin shock tower kit? Good tip about cutting the rear shock tower. Think I'll give that a try myself.
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 09:06 PM   #21
Tech Regular

The Penguin kit is not shock towers but are an add on to the cars shock towers. All they are are thin carbon fiber plates that mount in front and behind the towers to add strength. They do work, since putting them on I have never broken a tower since. This doesn't mean that they are unbreakable however. They just make it less likely to break a tower after you mount them. Go to the Penguin site, they have pics of these braces there.
WailinOnYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 09:47 PM   #22
Tech Regular

I got my xx4 tonight. That front brace I picked up at Hobytown in wesminster,Colo. They had 4 or 5 on the shelf. I didn't know they were hard to get. Why won't the BK2 brace not work? I will try the cutting of the shock tower thing. I heard that if you fill the most outside brace on the front A- arm with epoxy, it will help the strenth. Or is that someone blowing hot air?

MBX7r, MBX7R Eco, 22-4 2.0
Dougg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 06:49 AM   #23
Tech Regular

The losi brace is thicker metal, you already have to shave some of the bulkhead to get the assoc. brace in place.....there's not alot of material left. Have fun with the wheeler!
garrettsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:33 AM   #24
Tech Fanatic

I have been running the X-5 for quite a while (same suspension as XX4) and never had a problem with the shocktower breaking at the shock mounts. The rear wing absorbs most of the punishment. So if you want to cut of the top two holes go ahead but I would rather keep the tuning capability since I have used those holes on different tracks. There are instructions on how to install the B3 brace at 4wdrc.com under the tech section if you need them.
Associated TC7.1
Durango DESC410V2 Pro
sport10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:35 AM   #25
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougg
I got my xx4 tonight. That front brace I picked up at Hobytown in wesminster,Colo. They had 4 or 5 on the shelf. I didn't know they were hard to get. Why won't the BK2 brace not work? I will try the cutting of the shock tower thing. I heard that if you fill the most outside brace on the front A- arm with epoxy, it will help the strenth. Or is that someone blowing hot air?
It greatly increases the strength of that area. Once I did that I never broke the arm in that section again.
Associated TC7.1
Durango DESC410V2 Pro
sport10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 09:37 PM   #26
Tech Regular

well, i tried it at the track today. this thing drives 10 times better than my xxx4. i'm glad i bought this thing.

Old 01-13-2007, 06:28 AM   #27
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougg
You can also go to www.4wdrc.com and look in there store. You will find the hub carrier screw kit there. That will do what the epoxy will do and looks trick.
I don't like the idea of cutting down your rear shock tower. I have used the outside hole with soft springs and got good results. I like the penquin shock tower kit. I just mounted it tonight and it looks like it is just enough to save you in most cases. I'll post a pick as soon as my camra battery's peak.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:05 AM   #28
Tech Regular

Default The Penguin kit

Here ya go...........
Attached Thumbnails
Bullet proofing a xx4-shock-tower-1.jpg   Bullet proofing a xx4-shock-tower-2.jpg   Bullet proofing a xx4-shock-tower-3.jpg  
Old 01-15-2007, 07:45 PM   #29
Tech Regular

sat. was the first time my xx4 hit the track. the best i could do with my xxx4 was 19 laps. the first time the xx4 hit the track i did 19 laps, and i wasn't comfertable with the buggy yet. 2nd time another 19 lapper, third heat was a 20. then the main was a 21(5.09)!!!! i'm still not fully comfertable with the car yet. when i left sat night, i knew i made the right desision. i finished 2nd by .13 seconds. i'm big time impressed with the xx4. thanks for the imput that you guys gave to me.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:07 AM   #30
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

BUCK NASTY...
COULD YOU POST SOME FULL PICS OF YOUR XX-4. I AM INTERESTED IN HOW YOU MOUNTED THE STEERING SERVO.... . THANKS FRANKIE...