R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-03-2007, 05:58 AM   #1
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default proline nitro buggy tyres belted?

im a newbie offroader, and have always raced onroad electric. i made my first set of proline crime fighters and bowties for my nitro 8th, and noticed they are not belted. is there a reason for this? i've noticed on action pics that the tyres baloon out alot under acceleration, why not create belted tyres to stop balooning and increase the life of the tyre?

do non belted tyres create more grip?
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 07:29 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i do not know why they arent already belted, would seem like a good idea. but many people put straping tape along the inside of the tire, to keep it from ballooning.
Johnathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 04:35 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Never raced onroad myself, do their tyres come belted to they?

I dont belt the tyres on any of my offroaders, EP truck, EP 4wd or nitro MT... dont suffer any problems with balooning... but then, the 1:8 buggies and truggies have centre diffs which tend to get the fronts dishplating if the front end unloads...

Bit of ballooning doesnt go astray, gives you a bit of extra speed down the straights...
Bit_Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 08:28 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You can thank ROAR for that.Belted tires are illegal.I think it's because they would last too long.
DrOlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 09:33 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrOlds
You can thank ROAR for that.Belted tires are illegal.I think it's because they would last too long.
yeah, i was thinking about why they don't make them belted as i was gluing my tyres together, thinking...sh** i spent $280 australian on 4 sets of tyres and rims (which is the cheapest i could find, but still pritty hard ont he wallet), and have heard they only last 1 club day ....

ok so maybe belted tyres won't form to the uneven surface of the track when it is bumpy, but i was thinking the tyres have rubber ridges on the inside anyway, so some sort of internal support is needed.

why not replace the rubber ridges (which expand with tourque due to them being made oft he same material as the tyre and just as flexible) with some sort of cotton string or artificial fibre that doesn't expand? it would allow the tyre to mould itself to the surface but at the same time stop balooning. ....

i'm also wondering why does proline use in the construction of their new one peice foam inserts a foam which is prone to dinintegrating when it coems in contact with liquids?

i was cleaning the tyre bead with metho, and left the insert in the tyre and noticed the foam starts disintegrating easily if this happens also with water, or moisture im wondering how long a wet tyre would last when it is not used? would the insert just fall apart when used again and exposed to the harsh ride a 8th buggy goes through??

are the new GRP foam inserts the same foam type or are they more similar to say the foam inserts used in onroad electric (ie sorex)
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote